Sign in to follow this  

Is our squad changing too quickly?

Firstly, this is not a dig at Hoots or the Board, far from it, they are performing brilliantly, and every team must evolve, I appreciate that, but is this evolution happening all too quickly?

Rememeber, our present squad did pretty damn good last year.

I look at QPR last season and they changed their squad quite a bit and look what happened there!

Exciting times for us I know but what do you think?

Certainly know where you are coming from as this is looking like it could be a little more than the gradual evolution of our squad. BUT, when considering the cash floating around now and the depthe and quality of squads that will bring the rest of the clubs, then its a risk I feel the club just had to take. To stand still wasnt an option, and as I mentioned in a previous rambling, we could easily improve our squad significantly this season yet see little or no improvement in league position.

Good question, guess the proof will be in the pudding.

I think the major difference between us and QPR is the players that we are bringing in want to prove themselves, they''re not coming here for a final payday.

If we manage to get Fer tied up and another quality striker we could be battling it out in the position that West Brom and Swansea were this season. The best of the rest if you like.

I''d admit that there probably is a point where this could happen.........but I don''t think we''re there just yet....we have afterall only really signed 4 players.

I do still think though that having Holt around for another year would have helped smoothed any integration.

The key players from last season apart from Holt are still likely to be at the club next season, so Hughton is changing the fringe players for big upgrades I would hope those new players will have to work to force out those first team players who did well last year out of the first 11, not just be given a place.

Simply put no.

We made 11 new signings this time last year then add a few in January.

Our squad is not good enough to be fighting to higher places. So bringing in better players is a must.

it''s not just upgrading the squad, it is how you do it that counts. the QPR template was doomed to failure, there was no team ethos, just an expensive collection of individuals and egos. hopefully our upgrading will be more squad friendly.

but you would imagine are starting eleven for everton would probably have:

Ruddy

Martin

Bassong

Turner

1 of Johnson, Tettey or Howson

Pilkington

Snodgrass

Maybe Hoolahan

Thats possibly 7-8 players from last season

Only last season starter who has left is Holt and we dont know yet who Hughton will play.

We have signed so far now RvW who is certain starter, Olsson who is equal with Garrido until proven otherwise, Redmond who is healthy competition for Pilkington, but not in is level yet at least in my opinion and Nash who is third choise.

Even if we sign Fer and Toivonen that would mean only 5 players at max changing from our starting 11 and that isnt really that much if you consider that we can always go back for last years formation if things are going poor for us.

Oh just realised I forgot Alderweilerd, but doesnt change my point.

I see only RvW and Toivonen as quite clear starters. Toby will have to battle with Turner from his starting place and same with Olsson and Fer.

Not that Hoolahan and our possible third striker signing wouldnt be competition for two mentioned first, but I cant see them comming here if they are not promised quite much game time and Toivonen just suits Hughton better than Hoolahan because of his size and being jack of all trades

It is always a worry to have too much change in such a short period of time. The one thing that we seem to be doing which sets us aside from the likes of QPR who got it wrong, we are not signing players on the down (e.g. Bosingwa) and pay ludicrous wages to individuals.

It does seem that the foreign players we are signing/looking at signing speak English to a reasonable level (using the very reliable Twitter etc. of the individuals) which has been an issue in the dressing room at Newcastle.

I have found myself the most engrossed I have ever been in a transfer window with us being linked with some very exciting prospects. With the calibre of signings so far and the comments about out "ambition" from these players that is being expressed from Hughton and the club, I expect that we are looking further up the league. I hope this means a more positive playing style next year

I think as this is all being done before the USA tour and so there should be plenty of training and game time to get the right mix and feel.

Its a fair point, but what have we actually achived with our signings thus far is mainly to produce more competition for places within our squad. The signing of Carlo Nash means that Ruddy can not rest on his luarels and Bunn no doubt playing week in week out whilst Ruddy was injured.

Redmond also has placed more competition for Pilks, Snoody and Hoolihan this is not a bad situation, and therfore the players will have to be more consistent to keep there place within the starting eleven.

Garido is in the same situation he has to perform or lose his place.

The only player who would be starting at this time wiuld probably be Rvw and Becchio may try to challenge or maybe a another signing up front can more of a challenge depending on what formation we play.

The possible signing of Fer creates further competition within the squad, whilst we are becoming a stronger team on paper and only on paper at this point, the situation we are in looks good and I trust Hughton and McNally to bring in the right type of signing to the club.

[quote user="Wiz"]

Firstly, this is not a dig at Hoots or the Board, far from it, they are performing brilliantly, and every team must evolve, I appreciate that, but is this evolution happening all too quickly?

I look at QPR last season and they changed their squad quite a bit and look what happened there!

[/quote]

Why do you say they (the Board) are performing brilliantly and then call their judgement into question?

[quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote]Why not give them ten games and then decide?You know, like you did with Hught.... oh, my bad.

[quote user="Kingston Yellow"][quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote] Why do you say they (the Board) are performing brilliantly and then call their judgement into question?[/quote]

I haven''t questioned their call on the signings at all...........struggled with ''they are performing brilliantly'' did you?[:|]

To be honest I think it''s a fair pointHowever, we seem to be gradually easing them into the team.We haven''t recruited 10 players in one week.If Twitter is anything to go by, the new players are already jelling.I think we''ll be fine, although it will be interesting to see who takes the Holt role and brings the lads together as one unit.

It seems you''re the one struggling. I''ll try again.

Why do you say they (the Board) are performing brilliantly and then call their judgement into question.

[quote user="Kingston Yellow"]It seems you''re the one struggling. I''ll try again. Why do you say they (the Board) are performing brilliantly and then call their judgement into question.[/quote]

1. Because they are.

2. Its just the speed of it all that worries me.

4. Most replies understood my view point clearly.

5. You want an arguement, I don''t...........good night.

Wiz, when Fer no doubt signs tomorrow and replaces Fox (1 PL game last season), or when Hooper signs and replaces Jackson (barely any game time last season), etc. etc. you don''t get the idea that the fringe players are being steadily displaced by tangible upgrades?

And the argument about the speed of it all simply does not stand up as last summer we brought in NINE players: Bunn, Garrido, Whittaker, Bassong, Turner, Snoddy, Butterfield, Kane and Tetty.

A non-argument if ever there was one.

[quote user="Lets be aving you"]

Wiz, when Fer no doubt signs tomorrow and replaces Fox (1 PL game last season), or when Hooper signs and replaces Jackson (barely any game time last season), etc. etc. you don''t get the idea that the fringe players are being steadily displaced by tangible upgrades?

And the argument about the speed of it all simply does not stand up as last summer we brought in NINE players: Bunn, Garrido, Whittaker, Bassong, Turner, Snoddy, Butterfield, Kane and Tetty.

[/quote]Wiz was referring to the SQUAD. Not the first team.Thanks.

[quote user="Lets be aving you"]

[/quote]

Fair enough thats your opinion.

But I do worry for the likes of Benno and Witts, both put in decent shifts imo.

i can see where wiz is coming from it must be at the back of everyones mind, but its not as though we are signing hasbins who''s best days are behind them is it? the players we have signed all have something to prove in the premiership and that can only bode well for us ...

Can''t imagine we will sign anymore this year than we did the same time last year.

The difference being this summer one player (possibly more) has left who could in manys view still have contributed, whereas before its been a fairly hefty turnover of those no longer required being upgraded on, while the core (of the previous season) remains.

First season in PL signings: Johnson, Bennett E, Pilkington, Vaughan, Morrison, Naughton, Ayala (Bennet R, Howson).

Did those players change the squad too much?

Last year, Bunn, Bassong, Turner, Snodgrass, Tettey, Garrido, Whittaker, Butterfield, (Becchio)

Did they?

NCFC is like Triggers broom, the components keep changing but the essence remains, it''s still NCFC.

Seriously go back to the side that got promoted and work out how many are left now? how many were left at the start of last season? how many of them are regular starters?

When we have 40 pros on the books and sign a new first team every window like QPR then you can worry we are changing too quickly, at the minute it seems business as usual to me in the same mold since DM arrived.

Don''t accept that that''s argumentative. Simply don''t follow the logic; on the one hand you''re saying the board are doing a great job, before going on to ask if anyone thinks they''re changing too much too soon.

Me? I''m impressed with the decisive signings and the courage of spending ''big'' (by our standards). Meanwhile, I believe selling Holt (after blundering into the Bechio signing) is a major error.

Hughton stubbornly insisted in not playing to Holts strengths until right at the end of the season, at which point he starts banging them in. Early indications are that Hughton will deploy a more attacking formation next season, which IMO undermines the logic in selling Holt. I think Holt''s been messed about and has seen the writing''s on the wall for him.

Whatever anyone thinks, its pretty stupid when he''s comfortably got 10+ prem goals in him. Thus why I queried your OP. As much as I admire the positive approach to this transfer window, I am not without some misgivings and therefore don''t agree they''re performing brilliantly.

If course I reserve the right to eat my words if we sign an experienced international striker in Holt''s place.

We aren''t doing a lot different this season to last, or the season before - the idea is presumably continual squad improvement, getting rid of squad players and replacing with better so some first teamers drop back

Consider last close-season (up to August window) when we brought in: Bunn, Garrido (loan), Whittaker, Snoddy, Butterfield, Seb, Turner, Kane (loan).

The previous close season we brought in: Vaughan, Moro, Bennett, De Laet (loan), Johnson, Pilks, Naughton (loan), Ayala, then Howsn and Bennett in Jan.

We appear to be doing a pretty consistent amount of business as previous years, just this time concentrating more on m/f and attack, rather than last time when it was defence.

Fair point Wiz, we will only find out when the season starts.I think we had to expect a lot of changes with the new manager, lots of us will know very little about the the new players that will come in, although some will try to bullshit us  I`m sure, we will have to wait and see.Hughton will be judged on this season, he has been  hanging on pretty much to Lamberts coat tails till now, so here we go!

As I said on the ''end of an era'' thread, we must stick to evolution and not adopt revolution or we can fall into the QPR trap. Unfortunately, Hughton has an interest in changing the squad as much as possible because the squad failing to gel would give him a perfect excuse for another slow start to this season and no doubt there are many here that will back him if we start without a win in ten games or so.

[quote user="paul moy"]As I said on the ''end of an era'' thread, we must stick to evolution and not adopt revolution or we can fall into the QPR trap. Unfortunately, Hughton has an interest in changing the squad as much as possible because the squad failing to gel would give him a perfect excuse for another slow start to this season and no doubt there are many here that will back him if we start without a win in ten games or so. [/quote]Yes, Hughton''s going into this season planning to start slowly and lose a few early games.Please go and support Gillingham.

"Hughton has an interest in changing the squad as much as possible because the squad failing to gel would give him a perfect excuse for another slow start to this season"

Haha priceless, come on Paul, you''re seriously suggesting Hughton wants to sign players so we have a poor start and he therefore has an excuse for said poor start?