Sign in to follow this  
gravycanaries

What is our ambition?

Now all the players we have signed and are talking to have said the same word. Ambitious.

Now what do u think our aim

In this year... You think McNally and hughton have Europe on there mind??

I think McNally is a sensible and wise CEO.
There will be no silliness.
I think it will be simple, aim higher.
He will say it is our aim to remain in the league but I think really he will be aiming to better the year before, looking at a top 10 finish. 
I would also say he may be wary of Europe. Sure it can be fun but to compete in both the Prem and Europe will require a larger deeper squad.

Uh-oh. I''ve read a few posts recently mentioning Europe and top ten etc.

Reality check time. Hughton''s main objective will once again be to avoid relegation. All the increased spending really is to keep up with the Joneses, as all the other clubs are spending. The league is awash with the extra TV money which will lead to unprecedented levels of quality players at all clubs. We need to keep up.

The way the club needs to be sold to potential signings like RVW, Fer, etc is that we''re aiming high. That means European places, Cups, etc. We won''t attract these type of players with the promise of a relegation scrap.

That doesn''t change our PRIORITY though, which of course first and foremost to reach the ''safety'' points total as quickly as possible.

There is nothing wrong with ambition. We need ambition. Without it, we''ll stagnate. Always have a drive to do better or you may as well not bother.

Ambition = perhaps the long-overdue end to this ''little Norwich'' drivel.

Only the top 5 teams in the Premier League get places in Europe - I think it is safe to say Norwich fans can forget about finishing that high.

The League Cup is a competition Norwich will be capable of winning next season. That seems the most likely route into Europe, which is the next sensible aim for the club.

Ambition isn''t only a short term thing. When we were promoted to the Championship we revealed a 6 or 8 season plan (i think), which included increasing the stadium capacity to 35,000 and promotion to the premier league. We are still well within that time bracket and we achieved promotion to the EPL far quicker than we thought. I''m assuming once a plan like that is made, it doesn''t just stop as soon as we got promotion. New targets are surely going to be made, and they may include a cup run, league position and simply spending money to improve the squad. The players coming in are being made aware of the clubs ambitions and from the reactions of our current signings, the players coming in seem more than happy to be here.

Overall we can all see this season as being a new era for Norwich, selling Grant Holt and bringing in RVW and Fer would be a real sign of intent, and we are still yet to replace the goal horse. Exciting times for the fans, players and everyone involved with the club and long may it continue.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

Only the top 5 teams in the Premier League get places in Europe - I think it is safe to say Norwich fans can forget about finishing that high.

The League Cup is a competition Norwich will be capable of winning next season. That seems the most likely route into Europe, which is the next sensible aim for the club.

[/quote]

Usually the cups are won by the top 5, opening up europe for a 7th place finish. 7th isn''t beyond the realms of possibility in my book.

The reality is that all teams are on par in the middle of the table, we might be adding to our quality but so are Villa, Sunderland, Newcastle Swansea and others, so we are no furhter forward, but a distance away from those who were promoted.

Ambition for ay club and player is to be the best they can be, win as many games and if a trophy come along then great, but I bet all teams apart from the top 7 would say just to be in the premiership next season is the primary ambition.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote] Usually the cups are won by the top 5, opening up europe for a 7th place finish. 7th isn''t beyond the realms of possibility in my book.[/quote]

If the FA Cup is won by a team in the top 5, the runner up gets the European place. If the League Cup winners are in the Champions League then it goes to 6th place.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

Usually the cups are won by the top 5, opening up europe for a 7th place finish. 7th isn''t beyond the realms of possibility in my book.[/quote]If the winner of the FA Cup has already qualified for Europe, the place goes to the runner up, unless the runner up has also already qualified.In the last 5 years, Wigan, Everton & Stoke have all qualified for the Europa League through FA cup (winner or runner up) rather than through the league. Also, Portsmouth would have in 2010/11 if not for some legal technicalities due to their administration (I think).So, no. Recent evidence suggests 7th would not be high enough.

I would love for the team to get to 40 points by say the end of February and then to just see how high we can get up the table from there,

Would be lovely to breath easy at the end of the season for once and not have to worry about those last 4 games

Last season our ambition was to stay in the Premier League and finish 17th.I think we''ll go one better this season and aim to finish 16th.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="Jimmy Smith"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote] Usually the cups are won by the top 5, opening up europe for a 7th place finish. 7th isn''t beyond the realms of possibility in my book.[/quote]

If the FA Cup is won by a team in the top 5, the runner up gets the European place. If the League Cup winners are in the Champions League then it goes to 6th place.

[/quote]

Do they still have the ''you''ve been good boys and not got too many bookings or sending offs'' raffle?

Yeah fairplay spots were given Norway, Sweden and Finland this year for Europa leagues first qualifiying round

Anything above 18th will do. A cup run or fair play are the only way Europe will be achieved and that relies on luck. Don''t see us finishing in the top 7 which is the lowest point European qualification can be achieved if the cups fall a certain way. Ultimately bar the collapse of some of the big clubs, huge financial investment in the club or some rules to hugely level the playing field it will be very difficult to break the top end cartel.

Are the views on this thread ambitions or expectations?    Surely

ambition means to aim high - for me that means aim for the top.Our ambition is to get as many points as possible.   Targets are unnecessary, other than the obvious one - staying in the division - and we should simply aim to finish as high as possible.       If that takes us towards the top of the table, then we shouldn''t think we are over achieving, or don''t belong top be there. If it takes us to 17th place, then at least we know we stay in the division.   Both are successes and of course the higher the finishing position, the better.  

Exactly. I see no reason why we can''t set a goal to finish 5th, and that only as it''s unreasonable to expect to finish in the top 4. Now I don''t expect us to finish that high, but to say it''s our target (and hence qualify for Europe) would demonstrate ambition - that plus a new stadium perhaps? ;-)