Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Di Santo

I see WBA have decided against signing him.

Given we need numbers, and he would be free, would he be able to fill in at no. 4 striker option provided we get a quality striker in like Hooper or N''Doye too?

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]I see WBA have decided against signing him.

Given we need numbers, and he would be free, would he be able to fill in at no. 4 striker option provided we get a quality striker in like Hooper or N''Doye too?[/quote]No thanks, scoring record is abysmal.  We may as well have kept Jackson if we end up signing him.

It didn''t say, i guess they might steal Toivonen from us as it was from that article on Sky (cba to link).

Di Santo may not have the best record so far, but he''s young, has a bit of skill about him and as 4th choice on a free I feel he''d be worth the gamble unless we have really ridiculous money that mean we can get Fer, Toby and two amazing strikers!

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="Jimmy Smith"]I see WBA have decided against signing him. Given we need numbers, and he would be free, would he be able to fill in at no. 4 striker option provided we get a quality striker in like Hooper or N''Doye too?[/quote]

No thanks, scoring record is abysmal.  We may as well have kept Jackson if we end up signing him.
[/quote]

Is he an out and out striker though? I always thought of him as a wide player.

Surely we would be better off using Loza or Morris as a fourth striker? Aid their development. If we are likely to start with one up front then there seems little need for more than two experienced players covering? Just a waste of a wage.

Give youth a chance? Are you insane?! This is the Premier League. You have to buy foreigners rather than blood youngsters.

Loza/ Morris would be good if we are 3-0 up with 15 mins left or in the cups.

There is too much money at stake to put a youth team player under such pressure unless it''s absolutely neccesary. Neither of them have even played youth team football yet.

See Rudd as a case note.

I completely agree. But if we have one striker starting and two more on the bench then we need two injuries before we are even in the situation in which one of them needs to be on the bench! Rudd isn''t a case in point. I''m not suggesting that they are the third choice, i''m assuming/hoping we will bring in another striker, leaving them as fourth and fifth choice respectively. I would see this as more than adequate cover for a position in which we only ever start one player. 

Some games we''ll play with 2 strikers, also compared to keepers, more or less every game, you bring a striker or 2 on as a sub. Last season, Holt, Morison, Jackson, Becchio and Kamara all made valuable contributions. Only Ruddy and Bunn did in goal

And Camp yes?

Right, you can''t have Morison AND Becchio as they were swapped for one another. They count as one player.

Let''s take the first half of the season shall we? Contributions from Holt, Morison and Jackson.

Second half? Becchio comes in for Morison. Jackson plays in 2 cup games. Holt and Kamara share the starting rule and Becchio plays before Kamara is fully fit and also after he has gone home. Never in the meantime. We were only ever actually using three strikers max at any one time during the season. We don''t need to waste a likely £20k per week (Over £1million for the season) on a 4th striker. We never needed one last year and we won''t this year.

Flecky... we didn''t have enough options off the bench though. Some of them draws would have become wins in my book.

I completely agree with you, but I think that was down to the standard of players we had on the bench! So RVW, Becchio and then a pacy striker alongside in 3rd place would give us all the options we need. The reason we lacked variety were because Holt, Kamara and Becchio were too similar and Jackson, for all his effort and graft, just wasn''t good enough. Van Wolfswinkle looks an awful lot better than what we had last season. He is a completely different player to Becchio too, so we already have more variety. I don''t see why we need to waste the money on an extra man. At some point you have to put faith in the younger players. Loza has been scoring goals for the U21s this year and is probably due a go in the cups and on the bench every now and then as a preliminary to a loan move next year. A forth striker would probably stop that happening too. Presumably they would want game time? 

Decent player, but I think we have moved up a level....and will end up with a little more quality in third and fourth striker position than some maybe expecting!