Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

That three year contract.

No apologies, its another Grant Holt thread.  Tough.

I''ve not seen it mentioned anywhere else, but it seems to me that Holty making sure he got that three year contract last year was actually a good thing for the club, as well as him.   If he had stuck with the two year contract, he would have had only one year left, making his resale value less.   So we actually probably made more money by selling him than we would have otherwise done.     Just saying.

I believe as someone stated on here before, that Holt didn''t actually want to leave last summer, and it was all a smokescreen after losing Lambert, the fans were hurt badly, Hughton was on a hiding to nothing as soon as he walked in, so why not make up a load of BS about wanting to leave, Hughton makes him stay.

[quote user="lake district canary"]No apologies, its another Grant Holt thread.  Tough.

I''ve not seen it mentioned anywhere else, but it seems to me that Holty making sure he got that three year contract last year was actually a good thing for the club, as well as him.   If he had stuck with the two year contract, he would have had only one year left, making his resale value less.   So we actually probably made more money by selling him than we would have otherwise done.     Just saying.

[/quote]
If you add in the increased wage for Holt, signing bonus, agent bonus etc then i very much doubt we made more money this way.

[quote user="lake district canary"]No apologies, its another Grant Holt thread.  Tough.

[/quote]
If you add in the increased wage for Holt, signing bonus, agent bonus etc then i very much doubt we made more money this way.

I think Hughton made it his priority to get Holt to stay. After the disappointment of losing PL I think he had to do anything he could to get Holt to sign a new contract. In a way, to appease the fans.

Holt probably hasn''t really taken a wage drop,

Ok he might be on less per month than he was at City, but hes wrangled himself an extra year an a extra years salary.

Something he might not have got should he have stayed with us

[quote user="Johnny Stump"]That''s why you don''t really endear yourself to people on here (OP) when you have the proviso "tough" in there.

Just saying.[/quote]

I''m not here to "endear" myself  to people.   I''m here to talk about the football club I support.    I was having a little dig at people who complain about new threads popping up about Grant Holt.    I was just giving a little dig back, that''s all.

Well, i don''t know about `digs` regarding Grant Holt threads but you could have quite easily added your thoughts on the end of an existing GH thread, as opposed to starting yet another new one.

Just a suggestion, always nice to keep the forum looking it''s best.

[quote user="hogesar"]Well, i don''t know about `digs` regarding Grant Holt threads but you could have quite easily added your thoughts on the end of an existing GH thread, as opposed to starting yet another new one.

Just a suggestion, always nice to keep the forum looking it''s best.[/quote]

Well, I was going to add this to an existing thread but that thread had become spoiled by people complaining about Grant Holt threads so hence the dig.  No offence meant to anyone except those who like to think they are, or would like to be seen as being "in charge".   A lot of people want to have their say about GH.  No reason not to start a new one if you think you have something different to say.   Others may not think its interesting or different, but that''s life.  

[quote user="hogesar"]Well, i don''t know about `digs` regarding Grant Holt threads but you could have quite easily added your thoughts on the end of an existing GH thread, as opposed to starting yet another new one. Just a suggestion, always nice to keep the forum looking it''s best.[/quote]

You''re quite correct, hogesar, that there was no need for a new thread but we all need to understand that LDC thinks he is special and has something different to say. He usually doesn''t. His input on this thread is suggesting reasons why NCFC have done well out of selling Holt, whereas a few days ago he wouldn''t sell Holt unless we were getting up to 5 million. He conveniently forgets half of what he inputs while he generates new threads purporting to saying something different. Perhaps he''ll tire himself out before the new season begins. We live in hope.

Poor LDC. And he''s not even mentioned Grant Holt sitting on a balcony supping wine at some hotel yet. [<:o)]

[quote user="lappinitup"]Poor LDC. And he''s not even mentioned Grant Holt sitting on a balcony supping wine at some hotel yet. [<:o)][/quote]

Funny you should mention that.......I was in Carlisle yesterday and.......

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[quote user="hogesar"]Well, i don''t know about `digs` regarding Grant Holt threads but you could have quite easily added your thoughts on the end of an existing GH thread, as opposed to starting yet another new one. Just a suggestion, always nice to keep the forum looking it''s best.[/quote]

You''re quite correct, hogesar, that there was no need for a new thread but we all need to understand that LDC thinks he is special and has something different to say. He usually doesn''t. His input on this thread is suggesting reasons why NCFC have done well out of selling Holt, whereas a few days ago he wouldn''t sell Holt unless we were getting up to 5 million. He conveniently forgets half of what he inputs while he generates new threads purporting to saying something different. Perhaps he''ll tire himself out before the new season begins. We live in hope.

[/quote]

To be fair, ldc is hardly alone in having quietly changed their tune on this issue in the last few days...[:D]

[quote user="lake district canary"]I''ve not seen it mentioned anywhere else, but it seems to me that Holty making sure he got that three year contract last year was actually a good thing for the club, as well as him.   If he had stuck with the two year contract, he would have had only one year left, making his resale value less.   So we actually probably made more money by selling him than we would have otherwise done.     Just saying.[/quote]That''s almost the same as [url=http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/3/2945463/ShowPost.aspx#2945664]what I wrote the other night[/url], except that Holt''s current move might have been pre-planned by Hughton and McNally after Holt signed the extension last year, and we might have got more for him had we sold him then.

[quote user="JonnyH"][quote user="lake district canary"]I''ve not seen it mentioned anywhere else, but it seems to me that Holty making sure he got that three year contract last year was actually a good thing for the club, as well as him.   If he had stuck with the two year contract, he would have had only one year left, making his resale value less.   So we actually probably made more money by selling him than we would have otherwise done.     Just saying.[/quote]That''s almost the same as [url=http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/3/2945463/ShowPost.aspx#2945664]what I wrote the other night[/url], except that Holt''s current move might have been pre-planned by Hughton and McNally after Holt signed the extension last year, and we might have got more for him had we sold him then.[/quote]

Sorry, I didn''t see that but  it could well be true.  The consensus though is that the result has been a good move for everyone.  

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]  YC - whereas a few days ago he wouldn''t sell Holt unless we were getting up to 5 million.

To be fair, ldc is hardly alone in having quietly changed their tune on this issue in the last few days...[:D]

[/quote]

I think I said "£4m plus" and yes I would have thought that would be a fair price for a premiership striker.  If you look at what Coyle says, he says that Wigan got him at a very good price - so they are pleased.    Maybe less than he was worth, but a good move for all - at least  no-one seems to question that. 

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="JonnyH"][quote user="lake district canary"]I''ve not seen it mentioned anywhere else, but it seems to me that Holty making sure he got that three year contract last year was actually a good thing for the club, as well as him.   If he had stuck with the two year contract, he would have had only one year left, making his resale value less.   So we actually probably made more money by selling him than we would have otherwise done.     Just saying.
[/quote]
That''s almost the same as [url=http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/3/2945463/ShowPost.aspx#2945664]what I wrote the other night[/url], except that Holt''s current move might have been pre-planned by Hughton and McNally after Holt signed the extension last year, and we might have got more for him had we sold him then.
[/quote]

Sorry, I didn''t see that but  it could well be true.  The consensus though is that the result has been a good move for everyone.  

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]  YC - whereas a few days ago he wouldn''t sell Holt unless we were getting up to 5 million.

[/quote]

I think I said "£4m plus" and yes I would have thought that would be a fair price for a premiership striker.  If you look at what Coyle says, he says that Wigan got him at a very good price - so they are pleased.    Maybe less than he was worth, but a good move for all - at least  no-one seems to question that. 

[/quote]

Now, you say it''s a good move for all and don''t question it but, a few days ago, you said you would not have made such a deal. As Purple points out, you are not alone in changing your view but, on the other hand, you are close to being alone in presenting two opposing views you support without acknowledging you have changed your opinion. A little more humility please. 

The OP''s probably right in suggesting that the change in the contract changed his future. I believe, if his contract had not been modified, CH wold have preferred to see it out, and Holt would have stayed for the next season, albeit lower in the pecking order.

I can''t believe this thread exists given all the excitement at our own club.

I''d rather give all my attention to those who will or could be turning out in yellow and green next year.

Credit to ldc for adapting to a situation he didn''t want to be stuck with. Found the silver lining. Well done. I''ll only be satisfied when I know we have a new talisman or adapt to the loss some other way. Letting him go without that is too risky. What''s our longest ever run in the top flight?

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="JonnyH"][quote user="lake district canary"]I''ve not seen it mentioned anywhere else, but it seems to me that Holty making sure he got that three year contract last year was actually a good thing for the club, as well as him.   If he had stuck with the two year contract, he would have had only one year left, making his resale value less.   So we actually probably made more money by selling him than we would have otherwise done.     Just saying.[/quote]That''s almost the same as [url=http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/3/2945463/ShowPost.aspx#2945664]what I wrote the other night[/url], except that Holt''s current move might have been pre-planned by Hughton and McNally after Holt signed the extension last year, and we might have got more for him had we sold him then.[/quote]Sorry, I didn''t see that but  it could well be true.  The consensus though is that the result has been a good move for everyone.   [quote user="PurpleCanary"]  YC - whereas a few days ago he wouldn''t sell Holt unless we were getting up to 5 million. To be fair, ldc is hardly alone in having quietly changed their tune on this issue in the last few days...[:D][/quote]I think I said "£4m plus" and yes I would have thought that would be a fair price for a premiership striker.  If you look at what Coyle says, he says that Wigan got him at a very good price - so they are pleased.    Maybe less than he was worth, but a good move for all - at least  no-one seems to question that.[/quote]

Now, you say it''s a good move for all and don''t question it but, a few days ago, you said you would not have made such a deal. As Purple points out, you are not alone in changing your view but, on the other hand, you are close to being alone in presenting two opposing views you support without acknowledging you have changed your opinion. A little more humility please. [/quote]

What a curious fellow you are YC.   You pontificate and huff and puff to try and get me to post in a way you find acceptable, when that doesn''t work you become grossly insulting (in the hotel thread for which I am still awaiting an apology).  You plainly can''t handle the fact that I have a mind of my own and won''t be told how or what to write by you, or anyone else for that matter.    Suggest you stop wasting your time trying to correct me and accept that people can change their minds and alter their views depending on the course of events.  Things are not black and white in life, as much as you appear to want them to be.   What is wrong with thinking that Grant Holt was worth £4-5m but that on reflection the deal brokered was actually one that suited all parties?   No acknowledgement needed. Its all been said.

I think you need to get out more. 

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="JonnyH"][quote user="lake district canary"]I''ve not seen it mentioned anywhere else, but it seems to me that Holty making sure he got that three year contract last year was actually a good thing for the club, as well as him.   If he had stuck with the two year contract, he would have had only one year left, making his resale value less.   So we actually probably made more money by selling him than we would have otherwise done.     Just saying.
[/quote]
That''s almost the same as [url=http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/3/2945463/ShowPost.aspx#2945664]what I wrote the other night[/url], except that Holt''s current move might have been pre-planned by Hughton and McNally after Holt signed the extension last year, and we might have got more for him had we sold him then.
[/quote]
To be fair, ldc is hardly alone in having quietly changed their tune on this issue in the last few days...[:D][/quote]
I think I said "£4m plus" and yes I would have thought that would be a fair price for a premiership striker.  If you look at what Coyle says, he says that Wigan got him at a very good price - so they are pleased.    Maybe less than he was worth, but a good move for all - at least  no-one seems to question that.[/quote]

Now, you say it''s a good move for all and don''t question it but, a few days ago, you said you would not have made such a deal. As Purple points out, you are not alone in changing your view but, on the other hand, you are close to being alone in presenting two opposing views you support without acknowledging you have changed your opinion. A little more humility please. [/quote]

What a curious fellow you are YC.   You pontificate and huff and puff to try and get me to post in a way you find acceptable, when that doesn''t work you become grossly insulting (in the hotel thread for which I am still awaiting an apology).  You plainly can''t handle the fact that I have a mind of my own and won''t be told how or what to write by you, or anyone else for that matter.    Suggest you stop wasting your time trying to correct me and accept that people can change their minds and alter their views depending on the course of events.  Things are not black and white in life, as much as you appear to want them to be.   What is wrong with thinking that Grant Holt was worth £4-5m but that on reflection the deal brokered was actually one that suited all parties?   No acknowledgement needed. Its all been said.

I think you need to get out more. 

[/quote]

I''m not trying to correct you. I''m simply pointing out your inconsistencies. Your position a few days ago was that unless we receive 4-5 million for Holt it would not be in the interest of NCFC to sell. Now you say it does. Perhaps you can point out what you think has changed your view?

[quote user="City1st"]the course of events, dear boy, the course of events

[/quote]

Let the "dear boy" answer for himself. Who knows, he may come up with something intelligent.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[quote user="City1st"]the course of events, dear boy, the course of events[/quote]

Let the "dear boy" answer for himself. Who knows, he may come up with something intelligent.

[/quote]

City 1st has answered you better than I could.   As for intelligence, the intelligent thing for you to do is to let it go.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

City 1st has answered you better than I could.   As for intelligence, the intelligent thing for you to do is to let it go.

[/quote]

It did not take City 1st to answer better.....a frog could have come up with a better croak than you appear to be able to muster. We will let it go then as yet another example in pages of Pink ''Un forum history where you are unable to bring yourself to say, "I got it wrong in the first instance or....I got it wrong in the second instance. Wherever it happened, I got it wrong, but hell will freeze over before I will bring myself to say the words." 

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[quote user="City1st"]the course of events, dear boy, the course of events[/quote]

[/quote]City 1st has answered you better than I could.   As for intelligence, the intelligent thing for you to do is to let it go.[/quote]

It did not take City 1st to answer better.....a frog could have come up with a better croak than you appear to be able to muster. We will let it go then as yet another example in pages of Pink ''Un forum history where you are unable to bring yourself to say, "I got it wrong in the first instance or....I got it wrong in the second instance. Wherever it happened, I got it wrong, but hell will freeze over before I will bring myself to say the words." [/quote]

I feel sorry for you, you really don''t understand, do you and you appear stuck in your mindset.

Sometimes we are right, sometimes we are wrong.  Being wrong is quite a normal occurrence for most of us.   We do something, discover we were mistaken or misled, we learn from it and move on.     If we all spent our time saying we were wrong, we''d all end up with inferiority complexes.  We learn and we move on - you should try it.  

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It did not take City 1st to answer better.....a frog could have come up with a better croak than you appear to be able to muster. We will let it go then as yet another example in pages of Pink ''Un forum history where you are unable to bring yourself to say, "I got it wrong in the first instance or....I got it wrong in the second instance. Wherever it happened, I got it wrong, but hell will freeze over before I will bring myself to say the words." [/quote]

I feel sorry for you, you really don''t understand, do you and you appear stuck in your mindset.

Sometimes we are right, sometimes we are wrong.  Being wrong is quite a normal occurrence for most of us.   We do something, discover we were mistaken or misled, we learn from it and move on.     If we all spent our time saying we were wrong, we''d all end up with inferiority complexes.  We learn and we move on - you should try it.  

[/quote]

Oh, I think I understand perfectly. You ( not someone else mind you, but you and you alone ) start threads with two entirely opposing points of view on the same subject to explain to the rest of us Neanderthals how we should view a situation. When you are asked, in a very simple manner without any abuse, what has caused you to change your point of view you fail to explain to me or anyone else why something that you previously stated was not a good idea for the club is now a good outcome. Simple question. Have a go at it. You may amaze yourself.

Forget all the other irrelevant, evasive gobbledygook you posted above about mindsets, learnings, inferiority complexes etc. Just answer the simple question you were asked because of what YOU posted.