Sign in to follow this  
Rock The Boat

Toivanon has turned us down

Think they are jumping the gun, Toivanon was quoted as saying "I''m going to look at every offer I get and then I will make my

decision. I won''t say no right away, but I also won''t say yes directly
." He''s never said NO to us.

[quote user="Rock The Boat"]

...according to Midlands news reports.

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/2013/07/11/west-brom-target-ola-toivonen-rejects-norwich/

[/quote]

I saw that story some hours ago. I didn''t bother mentioning it because it has no back-up fact or quote. The strong likelihood is that the story is based entirely on a tweet from that PSV-following reporter/tweeter who said this was understanding, but equally provided nothing to back that up. No quote for  Toivonen or his agent. And there is nothing in that Express and Star story to suggest their reporter has made any efffort to verify the Dutch reporter''s tweet. It is just another case of something on the internet that starts out as a hypothesis or supposition that may or may not be informed but which in one or two moves becomes  a FACT.

Seems to me like this guy is beginning to look like a waste of time. If he really wanted to come here, and we only need players who do, then he''s had plenty of opportunity to sign. In all probability, we''re probably better off without him.

Good, sounds like a complete dirty cheating ass.

And the 3 times I''ve seen him play for sweden, he was shit. Wessi much better.

[quote user="oli4700"]Good, sounds like a complete dirty cheating ass.

And the 3 times I''ve seen him play for sweden, he was shit. Wessi much better.[/quote]
Sorry to say but Wessi does not score enough in a No10 role, yes he can beat people now and then but its just not enough at this level, we need a good goal scoring No10 if we are going to continue with are system. I suspect if we don''t get Toivonen we will be looking for someone else to play that role in the starting line up.

The fans'' comments to that article are pretty similar to what most are posting on here - wait and see until there is concrete news.

[quote user="Making Plans"]Seems to me like this guy is beginning to look like a waste of time. If he really wanted to come here, and we only need players who do, then he''s had plenty of opportunity to sign. In all probability, we''re probably better off without him. [/quote]Agree. Why waste our energy on someone who on the face of it is just p*ssing us about ?

[quote user="Wiz"]

Phew!

We dodged a bullet there.

[/quote]

Yeah he doesnt sound like the best character for a utopian dressing room

[quote user="Wiz"]

Phew!

We dodged a bullet there.

[/quote]

Your not basing that on anything other than an annoyance that he hasn''t thrown himself under a bus for the chance to play for us. If signs then I''ll be excited if he doesn''t I''m not going to lose any sleep over his opinion of the club.

If he bought into what we are doing he would have signed by now.

No thanks and move on any other quality players that would love the chance to play for city.

It is amazing those who have gone anti Toivonen, based on absolutely nothing other Thant jumping at the chance to join us. He''s said nothing, done nothing wrong, and would still probably be a good signing if CH wants him.

Consider Tom Ince to Cardiff - he has supposedly been down, had talks, apparently agreed terms, a fee between the clubs and all is in place, but he wanted some time to think about it. Would that make him bad or a poor signing? No, not in my opinion.

He hasn''t ever exactly seemed keen on the move has he, maybe we should look for somebody who actually wants to play for us. 

Well it was worth a go, he would have been a good signing. You have to speculate to accumulate and sometimes it pays off others it doesn''t. We have got real quality in terms of RVW, Redmond and Olsson. Clearly we do not present an attractive package for toivanon who does seem to be somewhat  marmite type player. No hard feelings we move on, we have cash and good players at the club the combination of which makes us a very attractive proposition to many, but clearly not all

[quote user="TheNewBoy"]He hasn''t ever exactly seemed keen on the move has he, maybe we should look for somebody who actually wants to play for us. [/quote]

Exactly. 2 weeks to think abut it is taking the pee.

Onwards and upwards

Thie situation is very simple for me.

Whether it''s Toivy, Fer or Aberwilderbeast, I would have thought that the EPL represents the best of the best. The toughest football league in the world. Any footballer if they are worth anything should be trying to play in the best league in the world regardless of who that team is. Look at Wagamama from Celtic, he wanted to play EPL football and after possible overtures from Man Utd & Arsenal has chosen to fulfil his dream and take the opportunity to play in the EPL with Southampton. I would suggest that for non-British footballers Southampton would be considered a small club much like us.

But if the likes of Toivy choose to remain in the reserves rather than to take the opportunity to play in the EPL than that shows me he does not has the desire or motivation to succeed at this level and should be given the widest berth possible IMHO.  

Once again the capacity for all to ignore the human element of a footballer''s decision making is staggering.

What "human element".

He is a professional footballer. He has been offered to play in the EPL (the best league in the world).

If all the press reports are accurate (??) he has chosen to spend this year in the PSV reserves rather then either sign a new contract with them or take up our offer.

That too me is someone who has got it all wrong and someone I would personally suggest we move on from.

The new signings RVW, Redmond & Ollson obviously didn''t think twice about the opportunity.

[quote user="Alan_Grey"]Once again the capacity for all to ignore the human element of a footballer''s decision making is staggering.[/quote]

Quite. City is a matter of life or death to us. To footballers its a job. A great one but it is a job.

Indeed, whoareyou.

For a genuinely honest insight into how a lot of footballers really approach their jobs, which will shatter the daft myth of someone who will come into a new club with absolute passion and dedication, see any interview with Benoit Assou-Ekotto.

It is very possible for a footballer to do a great job for for a team for many years, and build up an affinity over time, even if they are reticent about leaving their country, disrupting their children''s lives, seeing their other family less often, risking the move going badly wrong, and so on.

Hi, my Dutch is quite good as I work with colleagues in Holland: http://www.v-bal.nl/nieuws/123330/toivonen-slaat-de-deur-dicht-voor-norwich-city.html ->

He''s closed the door for Norwich City...fù5k Him! let''s start looking at someone else!

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]Hi, my Dutch is quite good as I work with colleagues in Holland: http://www.v-bal.nl/nieuws/123330/toivonen-slaat-de-deur-dicht-voor-norwich-city.html ->

He''s closed the door for Norwich City...fù5k Him! let''s start looking at someone else![/quote]

Not qhite what this one says:

http://www.voetbalprimeur.nl/nieuws/item/norwich-houdt-hoop-op-twijfelende-toivonen?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

says he''s still considering the deal. Understandable given how big a move it is in world cup year. Cut the guy some slack before we know the end of the story!

There''s nothing wrong with him not wanting to come here or to weigh up his options, but being professional you''d just keep quiet. I cant help but feel he seems abit of a big mouth and we might just have dodged a bullet. Of course he could turn out to be amazing but that''s football.

Here''s a different story regarding Toivonen. It''s an article about Alderweireld but at the bottom it says the CH won''t be giving up on Toivonen!

http://www.football-oranje.com/norwich-agree-alderweireld-deal/

It is a big move in a world cup year, one he can''t afford to sit in the reserves for.

The human element....yes we all appreciate that but top european players expect to move around the continent to ply their trade. He is already playing outside his homeland.

I think 2 weeks is enough time to think it through and make a decision. If he really fancied it he would be a city player now i suspect we will see him in the epl next season but not with us, hes clearly waiting on another offer from a club he fancies more. Maybe his agent has had conversations with other managers and is expecting a bid from them.

So fekim and move on

I still can''t see that anyone should take anything press dish out with any truth!

Today should give us an idea of them singing for us. All three have been ongoing for over two weeks and should be tied down by now or we might as well go onto plan B and that''s what I think McNally & Hughton are doing, by saying the press have not even linked us to the players the are looking to bring in.