Sign in to follow this  
unique

'Stopper drags heels over Canaries move'

......''Swede not sweet on Canaries''......

These headlines do not make pleasant reading. Are other clubs experiencing the sort of negativity emanating from Alderweireld, Toivonen and to a lesser extent, Fer?

RVW aside, Norwich City''s efforts to purchase European players continues to frustrate.

NCFC''s history with buying european players has been littered with disappointment and failure. For every Nedergaard, there has been a Muzinic, de Waard and Sibierski. For every Svensson, there has been a Helveg, Johnsson and Brellier.

Is this long standing tradition ever going to change?

The ''tradition'' that some transfers work out and others do not? Why on earth would that change? Or have I missed your point?

Blimey Unique, I''m not the most optimistic bloke with all things yella but that seems a bit doom laden.

Clubs that purchase from Europe etc all have varying degrees of success, although I must admit if we miss out on Fir I may be tempted to join your gang:-)

First of all we''ll never know if players we are linked with are top targets or not. Which have been touted to us and which we have sought.

I should imagine that sometimes the club may know that we may only have a slim chance of signing a player but if you don''t take that chance you''ll never know if they would have come.

As for your examples they are pretty poor. Although European - Sibierski and Svensson were signed from the Premier League. Sibierski was only a loan, and to be fair to him we did not get to see the best of his ability. Both had performed well whilst at other clubs in England before coming to us.

Helveg wasn''t too shabby either, just quite a lot of expectation for a 33/34 year old who had never played in England to come across and be an instant hit. It''s widely suggested that some players can take a season to find their feet. However again, his career up to that point had been pretty successful.

As already noted you could also argue that for every Russell Martin there is a Jason Jarrett.

"Both had performed well whilst at other clubs in England before coming to us."

Well that''s mighty comforting.......

That merely underlines the point that Norwich''s association with foreign players has been far from successful over a long period of time, especially when compared with the majority of clubs of similar stature.....

....and the question remains...... why is that so?

I think the original poster may have a point as things do seem to be stalling. Could it be our old foe prudence raising its head and these players are expecting more because we are a premier league outfit. Surely you can''t have this much smoke without a fire and Mcnally was photographered with Fer in yellows yet that deal seems to have gone very quiet.

It''s on here somewhere but I really can''t be arsed to scroll through looking for it. Was posted yesterday or Tuesday and was also on twitter.

The only one we''ve known to drag heels is Toivonen. Fer seems up to it and if reports are to be believed, its either a done deal or Twente are the ones in the way.

As for toby. Have we even made a bid for him yet? Last I heard we has just enquired about him.

I reckon we are not particularly having more foreign deals falling through, just making more bids for (a better class of) foreign players now. With this comes the publicity that we wouldn''t have seen so much in the past - via early leaks, agents are using our interest to lever a move to higher up the Prem than us.

JDT wrote - "As for toby. Have we even made a bid for him yet? Last I heard we has just enquired about him."

Fee agreed 8 million eurodillas.