Sign in to follow this  
Colourful Canary

Clint Dempsey.......

His wages wouldn''t necessarily be too high. Spurs don''t always pay ridiculous amounts. He didn''t enjoy the best season of his career despite moving to a better club with better players (although it was by no means poor). And is 30 (will turn 31 about 3/4 way through the season). I don''t think Liverpool would be interested, think Rodgers is much more about the younger player and a 30 year old who didn''t star in a side they are aiming to beat isn''t exactly what they are going for. But I could be wrong.

If his wage wasn''t too much would be a fantastic signing. But if he was going to come to a club like us, would expect him to just move back to Fulham.

Spurs pay more than us though would think he is on at least 50k a week. I would have thought he had burnt his bridges at Fulham. Also remember Liverpool wanted him last summer. They would pick him up as a squad player his versatility would be useful for Rodgers.

Would love Gylfi Sigurðsson here. Can''t see him getting much game time this season...

Don''t understand some people''s fascination with age. If they can strengthen our squad i don''t see why it matters.

If McNally could negiate a deal which fits in with our budget I''d say a definite yes.

The guy was total class in his final two seasons with Fulham, and looked good in the matches I watched with Spurs. Playing him exactly how Fulham used to, assuming it fits with RVW, would be pure fantasy football.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]His wages wouldn''t necessarily be too high. Spurs don''t always pay ridiculous amounts. He didn''t enjoy the best season of his career despite moving to a better club with better players (although it was by no means poor). And is 30 (will turn 31 about 3/4 way through the season). I don''t think Liverpool would be interested, think Rodgers is much more about the younger player and a 30 year old who didn''t star in a side they are aiming to beat isn''t exactly what they are going for. But I could be wrong.

If his wage wasn''t too much would be a fantastic signing. But if he was going to come to a club like us, would expect him to just move back to Fulham.[/quote]
GP Spurs do pay crazy wages. They have had a greater wage bill than Arsenal for a long time now. I imagine Dempsey is one of the higher wage earners as well

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Definate yes, the perfect link man, better than Toivonen.[/quote]

Agreed, much much better. He''s proven himself over a consistently long period at this level. I have no idea why Spurs want to get rid after putting so much effort into signing him 12 months ago?!

Last season Spurs snatched Dempsey from under the noses of Liverpool. They''d have to pay top dollar to do that.

Can''t see him getting a top 6 club, so that opens up to the rest of us. Isn''t he predominantly left-sided? Do we need another player there? He''s well-proven I suppose...

Thought he was central Mustard. Bale normally plays left (and all over the place, basically their formation is everyone just cover for Bale)

And hackedoff no one said we shouldn''t sign him because of age. I said Liverpool may not be interested because Rodgers seems to be going for the younger player. And of course age is a factor.

He''s a central attacking midfielder/forward with a left sided bias. Maybe that''s why he didn''t get as much time in the Spurs team where Bale was the main man.

If we signed him he''d take over Hoolahan''s role, rather than Pilks.

Seriously, if this guy''s transfer fee is affordable, and his wages fit into our structure then sign him. Sign him now.

PS why is age of signings a big deal ?  Off the top of my head, if you get in an older player, the risks are :

• limited scope to sell on for a fee
  • declining physical performance
  • lack of adaptability
  • less motivated.

If you read Soccernomics, they reckon Gerrard''s performance has declined every year since he was 26.  I''m not totally convinced by their statistical approach, but generally we should be looking at younger players IMO.

The reason I picked up on this news is that this guy has a lot of Premiership experience, which is something a little lacking in the rest of our squad. He also adds an aerial threat, which is missing as well at the moment, especially with Holt gone. Plus as others have said he is the perfect link-man in a 4-5-1. Age 30, he may be affordable, though I would still like us to sign a powerful pacy forward as well.

Dempsey would be an outstanding addition to the side, and would slot in perfectly in the hole behind RVW whilst offering coverage on the wing or central midfield if needed.Wages could be a stumbling block, but if they were affordable he''d be an excellent signing on a 2-3 year deal.

[quote user="priceyrice"][quote user="Gingerpele"]His wages wouldn''t necessarily be too high. Spurs don''t always pay ridiculous amounts. He didn''t enjoy the best season of his career despite moving to a better club with better players (although it was by no means poor). And is 30 (will turn 31 about 3/4 way through the season). I don''t think Liverpool would be interested, think Rodgers is much more about the younger player and a 30 year old who didn''t star in a side they are aiming to beat isn''t exactly what they are going for. But I could be wrong.

If his wage wasn''t too much would be a fantastic signing. But if he was going to come to a club like us, would expect him to just move back to Fulham.[/quote]
GP Spurs do pay crazy wages. They have had a greater wage bill than Arsenal for a long time now. I imagine Dempsey is one of the higher wage earners as well
[/quote]

Arsenal''s wage bill is much bigger than Spurs''. Still his wages will be out of reach tbh

I can''t believe that people wouldn''t want him if he''d come

He''s 30 not on the scrap heap in any way. Loads of goals in him from midfield, perfect behind a lone striker.

What''s wrong with you!

Totally mercenary.  Downed tools at Fulham, refusing to play at the beginning of last season and blackmailed them into having to sell him.  Do we want his conniving type here ? No thanks !!!!!!

I can''t believe that some people would not want Dempsey here! He is a quality proven Premiership player. Signing him would be a real statement of intent and provide much needed goals. And in what way is he any more mercenary than Holt who threatened to walk out last season, got his three year contract and then left anyway?

[quote user="paul moy"]Totally mercenary.  Downed tools at Fulham, refusing to play at the beginning of last season and blackmailed them into having to sell him.  Do we want his conniving type here ? No thanks !!!!!![/quote]You''re just hacked off that Gillingham swooped in for your hero rather than us bringing him back in to take the prem by storm...Then you woke up...and were still just as deluded...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="paul moy"]Totally mercenary.  Downed tools at Fulham, refusing to play at the beginning of last season and blackmailed them into having to sell him.  Do we want his conniving type here ? No thanks !!!!!![/quote]You''re just hacked off that Gillingham swooped in for your hero rather than us bringing him back in to take the prem by storm...Then you woke up...and were still just as deluded...[/quote]So let''s buy Dempsey then.... I quite like the Chanmpionship anyway.