Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

We need to be careful to keep the NCFC vibe alive!

These rumours are all very well, but it''s not wise to replace too much of the team with all new players, particularly those from european leagues. They need to be integrated carefully rather than all at once. These are talented players we''re talking about but we know it''s not only about talent. Look what happened when Newcastle imported an new bunch of French talent in January - very nearly relegated!

I think last summer was just right in terms of Bassong and Tettey who quickly bought in to what our squad was about, as then did Kamara and Becchio. IMO we ought to avoid too large an influx of new imports all at once that might be more interested in fat wages and the bright lights of the Premier League than NCFC. One or two and they quickly see that the squad is bought in to the club and the fans to the squad. We have to be careful not to lose that three way connection like we did when Roedent was in charge.  How many clubs have tried to make this sort of step and come a cropper. I always remember Bradford and Benito Carbone for some reason!! I think we are much more careful than that now with DM at the helm, so i''m as excited as the next fan, but there''s a bit of nervous excitement in there as well!!

Carbone settled well at Bradford, they just couldn''t afford his wages after relegation £40k at the time was just stupid money.

We need to improve as both an 11 and as a squad. We''ve already shifted lots of fringe players and Holt and now we need to replace/ upgrade current numbers.

Of the 5 so far bought in, only RVW hasn''t played in english football before, hardly unbalanced.

Now is the fun part of the window where we get to plow a load of money on all these exotic names! I''d say we need about 50% of these names to produce the goods to break even. Imagine we spend £25m getting these rumoured names through the door and only Leroy Fer warms to life. As a goalscoring premiership mid and dutch international, we''d probs get our £25m back anyway.

We''ve done his one already - the last two close seasons each saw c8 players come in, it feels like this close season will be much the same. If we ship out the ''lesser'' squad players and replace with better, we can''t really complain. But CH is somewhat damned if he does (accusations we are doing too much) and damned if he doesn''t (open to ''we were ''lucky'' to finish 11th and need more if we aren''t going to be fighting at the bottom'').

So far our 5 signings include a third-choice keeper and a defender who was here last year, so not too much to upset things surely. I guess we wait and see who else arrives.

Have to say I am with Che on this one, you can''t keep standing still, you need to improve your squad thoroughly once you''ve got the chance to do that. This doesn''t mean 8 players, but we need 4 or 5 imo.

How can anyone say we are doing it on the cheap this year?

Garrido must have cost 2.5 million +

Redmond 2 million + 1.2 add ons

Olsson 2.5 million

RVW 8.5 million

I don''t give a toss about which years budget the money has come from it''s all from the Norwich pot so to spend nearly 15 million already on 4 players with more to come.

Even if the likes of Fer and Toivonan decide against coming to us then I''m sure there will be a few more million spent before the transfer window closes.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]£40k at the time was just stupid money. [/quote]
£40k a week is still stupid money, is it not? Bullard almost bankrupted Hull on £50k a week.
That''s £2m a year, a lot of money for any championship team. I would hope that McNally is negotiating substantial relegation wage decreases because we could quite easily be left in a dark place if we were to go down with a Premier League wage bill.
The thing that I''m most worried about is loyalty. None of these players that we are being linked to seem particularly keen on coming and seem obsesses with status if their comments are to be believed, and that means that if things get rough they will likely not think twice at jumping the ship at the first sign of trouble. 
Things don''t always work out when you cram your squad full of big names, QPR are the extreme example, but look at Newcastle - they have a squad full of big name European players and they were very lucky to stay up last year. 

[quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="Jimmy Smith"]£40k at the time was just stupid money. [/quote]
£40k a week is still stupid money, is it not? Bullard almost bankrupted Hull on £50k a week.
That''s £2m a year, a lot of money for any championship team. I would hope that McNally is negotiating substantial relegation wage decreases because we could quite easily be left in a dark place if we were to go down with a Premier League wage bill.
The thing that I''m most worried about is loyalty. None of these players that we are being linked to seem particularly keen on coming and seem obsesses with status if their comments are to be believed, and that means that if things get rough they will likely not think twice at jumping the ship at the first sign of trouble. 
Things don''t always work out when you cram your squad full of big names, QPR are the extreme example, but look at Newcastle - they have a squad full of big name European players and they were very lucky to stay up last year. 
[/quote]Where have these players said there not keen on coming?

He may be willing to take a pay cut, must of made a few bob at Juventus. He may want to come here for the experience and future prosperity for his family, Italy isn''t in the best financial state at the moment. 

Am really talking about the players who have no experience of playing in England. They can''t be expected necessarily to settle in straight away so i''d be nervous of bringing in more than about 4 continental players with no experience of English football who went straight in to the team. Players like Olsson and Redmond are less risky signings than say this Fabio fella which sounds like a high risk signing to me! I''m all for Fer and Toby Aldi as well - them plus RvW and maybe one more stiker but we should leave at that with the continental markets after that. Gary Hoops for me would be the perfect additon to the striking ranks to replace BGH.

With Fabio Quadrilla it''s starting to remind me a little bit of Middlesboro'' in the late nineties when they got in Ravenelli and co! I guess tbf if we got from Fabio what ''boro got out of Ravenelli it would be ok. He stayed a couple of years at least!

so if Messi walked in to carrow road we''d say "it''s  ok Leo.. get the first plane back to Barca... you''ll upset the continuity of the side.. sorry chap"...dear christ!

Oh dear, i expected someone to react like that and interpret the OP like that, so guess I can''t complain. This isn''t about a particular player like Messi, and saying yes or no to them. Obviously we''re not in the market for that kind of player. Those clubs that are do go out and fill the squad with what are perceived to the the best players around for any money from any league. And with not always the desired results you should realise.

For us it''s about balancing continuity of the squad and the squad ethic with evolution of the squad.  You can''t just bring in 6 or 7 players with no experience of English football and expect everything to be tickety boo.

If you do think that, you are beyond clueless and it would be pretty depressing to be honest. Tell me, because i''m intersted to know, do you think that? Bearing in mind if we did do that, none of these 6 or 7 players would be Messi, sorry about that, but that''s planet earth for you!

It is true that premier league is bit different than most of the leagues in Europe. More straightforward and physical for example than La Liga or Bundesliga.

But what we lacked last seasons in premiership was depth. What we are buying at the moment is depth and more profilic playes than we could get in England as their prices are skyhigh and that kind of talent is rare.

As said in other topics here not all of them are straightforward starters and the need to prove themselves for Hughton before Olsson can forexample get front of Garrido and Nash is nowhere near getting place from Ruddy.

In top leagues there is always that certain "What if?". We need at least some what quality behind our starters and better if they can offer us some tactical varities.

For example Fer would give us a middlefielder that is more comfortable to run box to box than Howson is and Toivonen would give us a CAM who can also score and play as a second striker where Hoolahan is purely playmaker and creator.

This evolution is just something we need and for us to make it possible it means players from foreign leagues and to be honest it is equal jump from Championship talent wise at it is from Eredivisie physical wise. More and more of premiership coaches try to absorb quicker game tempo and more possesion from Europe at the moment (us included) which mean more "continental" football that we or any of championship teams are used to. It is only natural that we and others find more easier players to fit those tactics from europe not to mention that we now have money for it because Premier League is so much above in tv revenue.

Also Hughton isnt one who would take big risks so I doubt we have anything like QPR nor Newcastle last season not to mention we fish a bit different kind of fishes than they did. Not to mention that Hughton seems to target players whose at least physical appearance will meet the standards of Premier league. Tall, quite quick and above that technical players.

Can''t argue with much of that - as i said, we just need to be careful to maintain the balance between evolution and progression with continuity. There are a lot of good things about the squad and we have to be careful not to lose the good things we have in persuit of something better. This has been the downfall of so many before us.