Sign in to follow this  
Stowmarket Canary (not Delia)

Are we aiming a little too high?

Obviously we all want to see the best players in the city shirt, but it seems like some of the guys we''ve gone for only give us a second look due to the league we play in. Seems like their clubs are willing to sell, but the players perhaps think they''re too good for us, hence why they are stalling in hope of a better offer. Now I don''t care how good some of these guys are meant to be, I want players who want to play for us not just joining us due to our league and lack of a better offer.

As long as they then have the motivation to give their all and impress ''bigger'' clubs and so help push us forward, I don''t care.

I''m sure RVW doesn''t think he''s going to finish his career at NCFC, as great as that would be

Of course players are only going to give us a second look because of the league we''re in. That applies to everyone outside of the top 6 in my opinion.

I certainly don''t think we''re aiming too high, we have to aim for the next level of player above what we''ve already got. We at least seem to be trying to do that.

[quote user="The Ghost of Percy Varco"]This sums up so many people who support little Norwich.Always aim high, you rarely succeed if you don''t.[/quote]This

If you don''t try how do you know you can''t get them? You need to aim high to stay in this league if you don''t there are plenty of other teams willing to take your place.

or maybe we are targeting players, who like us, are after the best they can getgood luck to themif

wages are a fair part of the decision then there always will be clubs

who can pay more than we can, and with McNally being no Harry Redkapp it''s

quite likely decent players will take their time over the various

options available and it should also be borne in mind that given the buying/selling chain there maybe other offers conditional on someone else being sold - so for some players it might be all up in the airso

stop trying to put the club down, recognise that this sort of stuff has

been going on for years. it''s just there was a bit more confidentiality

within the English game so stuff was not revealedthere''s another seven weeks before the transfer window closes - so change your underwear and relax

you clearly were not on this forum during the last few months of last season

Most of us were there for ColchesterI still can''t really get my head around the state of the club right now.I can''t actually believe how quickly we have turned things around.In my opinion the next few years could be the best years of Norwich City FC

If we targeting players like Pilks or Benno then posters will moan that we are going for cheap, low league no marks etc. We are into our third year in the Prem so we have to aim for a higher level player to move forward.

No we are not aiming too high but these newer band of high quality players probably have a bigger retinue of advisors, agents and hangers on plus in many cases to bigger to stat the bigger the ego all of which has to be managed

We are surely aiming high, but have a limit on wages.   If the highly rated players we want don''t want to come because of the wages we have to offer, then so be it.    The club has to rely on the image it has within the game to get the better players, instead of them going to other clubs around us who have more money.   A great club, well run with a good team ethic, but not able to offer silly money.  If players don''t want to come to Norwich because of the wages, then they probably wouldn''t be the kind of players we want anyway.   We need players who buy into what the club is trying to do and are prepared to build their careers.    Those holding out to see if they can get  big wages from someone can go to clubs who can throw their money around, who perhaps won''t get the same character of player that we get.  We''ve built on strong characters and young players, that needs to continue as much as possible.

I actually think a lot has to do with the world cup next year.

Players have to weigh up regular Footy where they are to moving to a league in another country where they might struggle at least initially and could damage their chances of being an international regular for the world cup.

Going to a club in a better position would at least mean compensation of more money if they didn''t make it.

Plus being at teams that are more comfortable in their leagues. No threat of an energy sapping last run in to stave off relegation. Perhaps even leaving them to find a new team during a massive tournament on the other side of the world.

I don''t think we''re aiming too high. Not every target will want to come to us.

[quote user="lake district canary"]We are surely aiming high, but have a limit on wages.   If the highly rated players we want don''t want to come because of the wages we have to offer, then so be it.    The club has to rely on the image it has within the game to get the better players, instead of them going to other clubs around us who have more money.   A great club, well run with a good team ethic, but not able to offer silly money.  If players don''t want to come to Norwich because of the wages, then they probably wouldn''t be the kind of players we want anyway.   We need players who buy into what the club is trying to do and are prepared to build their careers.    Those holding out to see if they can get  big wages from someone can go to clubs who can throw their money around, who perhaps won''t get the same character of player that we get.  We''ve built on strong characters and young players, that needs to continue as much as possible.

[/quote]

If you want top players then you need to pay the wages. You can''t offer L. Fer (or another top player) £30k a week when other clubs may be interested and say ''oh well he has an attitude problem because Everton have offered £45k.''

Your right, our team is built on hard work and strong characters. We were able to attract this calibre of player in League 1 and championship not because we offered high wages, but because we are a big club in those leagues. In this league, we a not one of the big clubs, therefore to attract the players to take us to the next level, we will naturally have to pay for it like the other teams are in this league or we won''t progress.

Anyway...was else are we gonna do with all this money?

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]Neither were you, but you rose up to make your know it all offerings after you saw our upturn at the end of the season.[/quote]

oh dearI have upset one of the ''ever so humble ...... the gutlessthis one is even posting under another loginand rather disturbing he (?) was monitoring my every post as to when I did post then February, March, April, and May 2013 would suggest the last few months of the season

ps perhaps the saddo could tell us all when this upturn occured during the first three of those months

With hardly any money spent in the last two seasons to finish 12th and 11th respectively.

To spend all this money this season and finish roughly the same or lower on points/position. In my eyes is a failure and a waste.

The problem in general for every team outside the top 6 is that players being signed from outside England are coming from smaller leagues. They often play for the glamour side in their present league, the top team and their attitudes are naturally quite arrogant and they think they are destined for the top 6 clubs here. What they fail to realise is the standard of where they presently play is actually quite poor.For example I give you Urby Emanualson, ex-Ajax left back/left midfielder. I cannot recall the club but an English one wanted him. Van Basten spoke out and said an Ajax player should be aiming for a better club and he eventually signed for Milan. He was there two years and rarely held down a place and was in january loaned to Fulham.A well rounded and advised player takes the move to a club outside the top six and seeks to prove himself before hoping one of them may take a interest in him.

[quote user="frogusmaximus"]A well rounded and advised player takes the move to a club outside the top six and seeks to prove himself before hoping one of them may take a interest in him.[/quote]

Exactly this.  If they do that, they will look at the options available lower down the table and make their decisions based on a combination of wages and the quality of the club.  Any  that choose us will have seen something we all know - that this is a great club - and although we may not be able to offer the best wages, we have something that the Stokes, Southamptons etc don''t have -  we have kept our identity and collective soul.

all the big clubs have had rejections this summer - sometimes the move is simply not right for the player.

We are not going to get every player we are linked with

We have to improve to keep up with other clubs who are also bringing in some talented players. If we don''t then we may struggle and end up fighting for our Premiership place.

Most of the players we''re going for are an improvement on what we have got or of similar standard to what we have. We have a good squad but as PL used to say, ''they just need some help'', which might take us to the next level.

There is no harm in trying to bring these players in, as if they want to eventually move on, we should be able to sell them at a reasonable profit.

What we tend to have lacked is moments of sheer individual brilliance that "makes things happen" or creates something out of nothing. We have lacked the outstanding players who can do this, while most other teams have a least one such player. So in some way we have had to aim high merely to continue in the in the EPL.

Now we have RvW in this category and the possibility of one or two more. There is a risk, not least because wages will rise, but it gives us a better chance of consolidation and even, before long, challenging for the all-important places for Europe. Well done the club, refusing to accept mediocrity, however attractive the play, and not content with mere survival.