Sign in to follow this  
CanaryDodge84

Norwich City FC - Now the "Model" for all clubs to follow

Been getting annoyed with mates who "support" a top 6 Prem team and gloat about how fantastic they are, so posted this on my facebook earlier as a rant at them!  Look forward to your responses with your thoughts!

Have been reading far too much on the internet and in the press from "fans" of the bigger clubs in England wondering "where all Norwich''s money has come from" now we are signing and being linked with big-name players from around Europe - It''s not just about mega-rich owners you know - There is also a proper way to run a football club, so please read below so you might understand why fans of a proper run football team think it''s ridiculous the way you''re clubs go about running things - Here''s why you could and should learn something from Norwich: -

> Shrewd and intelligent business-like approach from CEO David McNally and the rest of the board.

> This involved being "moderatley ambitious" yet "prudent" in the transfer market since David McNally came to the club, especially the last 2 premier league seasons where we have brought in quality players, the right players, at modest values such as Pilkington, Snodgrass, Bassong, Garrido and Tettey to name just a few. (This includes on sensible wages within a set structure).

> We had a business-plan put in place which involved promotion’s to the Premier League over a 7-year plan (we smashed this in just 2) – Thanks for your part in this Paul Lambert and co.

> During the last 4 years we have slowly and steadily paid off all existing debt which has been there for 20 years now, since the Robert Chase days, built the stadium up and enhanced it’s features, built up the academy by working with and producing our own “home-grown” players (Chelsea and other big clubs take note – Our Youth team smashed the FA Youth Cup last season and you don’t see us scouting foreign countries and signing 12 year-old lads for millions £ at a time!)

> We have replaced one successful manager with another very clever one who worked with what was in front of him and at his disposal last season with the aim of safety so we can ensure we would be in the situation we are now as a football club with finances to give us the ability to push to "the next level".

> I believe our wage-bill to be around 55% of our revenue – so all that extra money from SKY, BT etc for this coming season is BONUS money for us to do what ever we wish with. Hence why we are now looking at signing top, quality players from Europe such as Leroy Fer, Toby Alderweireld, Ola Toivonen etc – Because we can!

> And Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal, Man Utd, Real Madrid, Liverpool…………I can’t see any multi-millionaire, foreign owners in sight any where at Norwich!? I don’t see us spending their money, or the governments money (Real Madrid), getting the club into astronomical debt to ensure key signing are made (Glazers at Man Utd), no billionaire oil-tycoon from Russia bank-rolling ridiculous transfer fee’s and wages to buy trophies and success.

> Norwich City FC, I fell in love with you and football as a little lad, I have seen all sorts of changes, good and bad in the time I have followed you and I know I will always follow you and support you until the day I die. So it makes me feel extremely proud to say that I am a Norwich City fan right now and proud that we are a self-sufficient football club who are reaping the rewards and benefits of being an efficiently and ambitiously run football club with the right people at the helm at the right places. In the eyes of myself and the footballing world, we are doing EVERYTHING “by the book” and in a true and proper manner. I wouldn’t want Norwich run in any other way. It would feel wrong and have a sense of cheating or demeaning about any success the club had if we did it in the manner that all the top 5/6 clubs and other European teams go about running a club from the aspects mentioned above.

> We have now gone way past looking at other teams and trying to replicate “their models” of how a football club should be run and where it can lead if you do things the right way, even in this current, crazy world of football! We have now become the model for any football club in the world to look at and to replicate themselves.

OTBC!

Spot on CanaryDodge.

I can''t really add anything to this post except that I totally agree.

Now thats a great post!!!

Love this:

"extremely proud to say that I am a Norwich City fan right now and proud that we are a self-sufficient football club who are reaping the rewards and benefits of being an efficiently and ambitiously run football club with the right people at the helm at the right places"

Good to hear you guys agree! Its been a hell of a rise on the pitch the last 4 years but you cant underestimate what the guys have done behind the scenes to see us finally, after all these years, step out of the Robert Chase financial mess.

"we are doing EVERYTHING “by the book” and in a true and proper manner" - let''s just hope Robbie Cowling is not reading this [;)]

[quote user="CanaryDodge84"]

During the last 4 years we have slowly and steadily paid off all existing debt which has been there for 20 years now, since the Robert Chase days[/quote]

The financial problems Chase left (later compounded by ITV Digital) were dealt with earlier on, by people such as Gordon Bennett, Watling, Munby, Foulger, Skipper, Smith and Jones and Doncaster. The debt you are talking about was more recently acquired, mainly as a result of having to rebuild the South Stand.

I agree with the sentiment but not some of the facts within it. Norwich are an example for clubs to follow for newly promoted clubs.