Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Carlton Morris

Found it interesting in the interviews with Grant Holt, talking about his time at Norwich, that he said "The club is moving in a new direction now, they''re trying to invest in youth and get to the next level"

Iv not seen anyone else comment on that yet hence the reason for the post.

Now him mentioning youth could simply be a reference to having Academy 1 status, but I wondered if it might have anything to do with the youth team.

Im not getting carried away, but anyone who watched the youth team on the TV would have been struck by how repeatedly (I think it was mainly Clarke Carlisle) hailed Carlton Morris as being very much in the Grant Holt mould. He played as a lone striker, and although only 17, he looks built like a man physically already.

Ipswich blooded Connor Wickham at that age and we all know how much he was sold for. Perhaps Hughton sees a role for him this season? The precarioiusness of the table when he came to prominence last season meant he couldnt be given any first team exposure, and of course the youth team were also doing well, but... Fresh season and as things stand only two players (if you dont count Loza) ahead of him. Perhaps Hughton felt he could get Grants physical presence (the defensive forwards role) from Morris, whilst at the same time giving him the chance to develop?

Im not suggesting Hughton would give him any more than a few minutes at the end of games when the result was a foregone conclusion, but could the same have also been said about his plans for Grant Holt had he have stayed?

You can blood youngsters young in this league if they''re Wayne Rooney or Jermaine Defoe. Unbelievable talents who matured young.

So if Morris is of that mould, yes. If not, it''s too much of a risk and they should either develop in the youth set up, or go out on loan to get the experience.

Lozar is a better goalscorer, especially when supported by the twins. Lozar was too old for the FA youth cup though so did not get in the spotlight. Still far too early for any of these players though.

Whats the best way for them to develop though? I thought Morris would be best served by going out on loan to a Championship Club, with the Murphy twins as they are still boys and not built like Morris, they''re probably best developed at the club til they''re older.

But what is better? Regular football at a lower division, learning skills needed for that level (ie Grant Holt style grappling and foul drawing) or a few minutes here and there at the level you hope they will develop at?

You couuld argue the case for both. I think Morris would do a good job in the Championship simply due to his physique

Morris didn''t go on the trip to Austria whilst the Murphy''s and Toffolo did so I would suggest Morris isn''t in Hughton''s plans yet; but the others are. Maybe a short term loan deal for them?

[quote user="Excited Canary"]Morris didn''t go on the trip to Austria whilst the Murphy''s and Toffolo did so I would suggest Morris isn''t in Hughton''s plans yet; but the others are. Maybe a short term loan deal for them?[/quote]

Thats interesting, thanks for that info, I wondered about that. Wonder who''ll be going to the USA?

I have watched some youth football and whilst Morris looked decent he looked good because of his physical maturity more than anything. The Murphy twins are the ones who I am really excited by. I think they have a future at the top level but not sure how they fare against deeper defences as Chelsea were open at the back.

Morris isn''t as good from what I saw compared to Feruz (Chelsea) or Akpom (Arsenal). We''ll see how he goes but I agree with those saying that him not being in Austria shows he isn''t in Hughton''s plans yet. I don''t expect to see the Murphy''s play in the league unless we have nothing to play for at the end.

I''d like to see Morris go out on loan for a season. Could be another Holty for us in the near future. I was impressed by his performances in the youth cup games. The Murphy twins though still have a way to go to get 1st team football, at times they can appear naive and greedy instead if doing what''s best for the team.

Excited Canary wrote - "Morris didn''t go on the trip to Austria whilst the Murphy''s and Toffolo did so I would suggest Morris isn''t in Hughton''s plans yet; but the others are. Maybe a short term loan deal for them?

"

We know that the twins and HT went because of their tweets but they did say "a few" of the younger players went. Without name checking everyone on the Rafting pic how are we to know exactly who went?