Sign in to follow this  
clarkey1972

Change of strategy?

With a decent amount of money already spent and talk of more players coming in, possibly another £10m on top of whats already been outlaid I got to thinking about this time last year when Lambo turned his back on us stating we didn''t match his ambition etc as one of the excuses.

Do we think our board had a think about that, and changed strategy to be able to tempt hoots into coming, or do we think lambert was talking out of his rear end and it was just an excuse to want to talk to villa?

I think we''ve probably spent more than villa (guessing) during this same period.

I would say that this was the board''s strategy all along, Lambert simply used a lack of ambition as an excuse.

At the start of last season we still had quite a lot of debt to pay off, weren''t at all established in the Premiership and had only had 1 season of Premiership funds under our belt.

Would''ve been irresponsible to push the boat out too far. Now we have enough in reserve to take some risks. I think this was probably plan A from the moment we got promoted.

I agree with the above.

But lambert must have been aware this was the plan mid term.

Maybe it was our long term strategy that he didnt/doesent like? Not that i give a shiiite what lambert thinks.

Just wondering if it was a wake up call to the board or this was the plan all along. I think the latter.

My assumption is Lambert feared for us in the second yearHe wanted the money to spend in year 2 rather than wait for year 3 and relative stability.We didn''t offer him the funds for year 2 so he left.

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]My assumption is Lambert feared for us in the second yearHe wanted the money to spend in year 2 rather than wait for year 3 and relative stability.We didn''t offer him the funds for year 2 so he left.[/quote]Yep thinking this.

Might be thinking outside of the box here, but I recall Foulger said at a fans forum when Hughton signed that Lambert had a wobble mid first Premier League season, it could well be that the board were willing to release funds year 2 (we did bring in Snoddy, Bassong, Tettey, Garrido, Turner, Bunn, Camp, Becchio, Kamara (loan) and Kane (loan), but not to Lambert - maybe we didn''t match his ambition as he didn''t have his ambitions!

[quote user="clarkey1972"] I agree with the above. But lambert must have been aware this was the plan mid term. Maybe it was our long term strategy that he didnt/doesent like? Not that i give a shiiite what lambert thinks. Just wondering if it was a wake up call to the board or this was the plan all along. I think the latter. [/quote]

Do not question my intellect.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]My thinking is that villa are a step up from us and lambert wanted to progress his career. Simple.[/quote]

A bit like you!

[quote user="Webbo118"]Why on earth does everything have to keep coming back to Lambert?[/quote]

It doesnt. Its about the clubs strategy.

The strategies must be constantly reviewed imo.  Take this stadium expansion lark.  At some point the board must have decided to put it on hold and spend the money on the team.
Whereas if we''d gone down the expansion route. We''d probably still be trying to pick up Championship bargains.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]My thinking is that villa are a step up from us and lambert wanted to progress his career. Simple.[/quote]Hows that working out for him?

I think it was to do with the fact that Bowkett and Lambert had no relationship at the end.

Villa came in, Lambert I think would have gone to any other Premier League club at the time and lack of ambition excuse was used to save his face.

[quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="lincoln canary"]My thinking is that villa are a step up from us and lambert wanted to progress his career. Simple.[/quote]Hows that working out for him?[/quote]

Well he''s already improved villa from the season before last. Whether ultimately he was right to move or not I don''t know but last summer in his shoes I''d have definately seem the villa job as a step up.

Villa are big club currently underachieving. As opposed to us as smaller club overachieving. All I''m saying is that being successful at villa looks better on the cv than being successful here and opens up the door for potetially a job at top 4-5 club.

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="lincoln canary"]My thinking is that villa are a step up from us and lambert wanted to progress his career. Simple.[/quote]Hows that working out for him?[/quote]

Well he''s already improved villa from the season before last. Whether ultimately he was right to move or not I don''t know but last summer in his shoes I''d have definately seem the villa job as a step up.

Villa are big club currently underachieving. As opposed to us as smaller club overachieving. All I''m saying is that being successful at villa looks better on the cv than being successful here and opens up the door for potetially a job at top 4-5 club.[/quote]Or the oppsiteHow many managers have taken taken a move ''to a bigger club'' which in reality is really a side step, ended up failing and dropping down the ladder.Owen Coyle was ''the next big thing'' couldnt hold his horses, jumped ship to Bolton who in reality were no better off than Burnley at the time, got them relagated and sacked and has now ended up back in The Chmapionship.If only some of these managers understood its about consistancy and loyalty. I honestly believe Lambert could have taken us to mid table and kept us there for quite a while. Much like Moyes did at Everton, the odd excellent season, the odd poor one, but in general very consistant bidded his time, kept the fans happy, got his big move. I also think Rodgers as jumped the gun moving to Liverpool after 2 good seasons. Should he fail at Liverpool this years, theres no where to go but down. Had he achieved what Swansea have with them, the world would have been his oyster.Redknapp is another one, destined for England at some point, the peoples choice. Done brilliantly with Spurs widley talked about as the next Man Utd manager. Ended up out of work due to problems with Daniel Levy and inside of waiting, hes taken the first role offered (probably for the £££) which was almost impossible any way, been relegated and is now back in the Championship. Non of the big boys will touch him now.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]My thinking is that villa are a step up from us and lambert wanted to progress his career. Simple.[/quote]
They aren''t though are they? They have a bit more history, slightly larger gates, but they are crippled financially and in three years time we will still be years ahead of them. Lambert is still having to gamble on kids, a gamble which almost didn''t work out last season, and he has three or four players that he has to shift before he could even think about bringing in more players of Benteke quality. Given, Ireland, Bent, he is lumbered with them. 

I think what people are forgetting to factor is how the financial background to the Premier League has changed in that time.

Firstly when the current board took us over, it wasn''t planning for such a quick rise to the premiership. The main target was the championship or bust (if some things that have been said are to be believed). The fact that we kicked on so quickly meant that they had to adjust to that.

On top of that, the new TV money has come into play and we knew about that for sure around this time last summer didn''t we? Or just before?

I doubt very much if we would have as much to spend (whatever that is) this summer if it wasn''t for that.

Being externally debt free means that the board can sanction as much money as it is willing to risk at this point.

Remember however that RVW was said to have been from last seasons budget. Which if true is about accurate that rumours said we had a budget of around £20 million.

You change your strategy for two reasons - a) it isn''t working b) the field of play has changed and your strategy needs adjusting accordingly.

We are a case in point for b.

[quote user="The Walking Man "]I think it was to do with the fact that Bowkett and Lambert had no relationship at the end.

Villa came in, Lambert I think would have gone to any other Premier League club at the time and lack of ambition excuse was used to save his face.[/quote]

A bit of sense at lastLambert was pushed and had to jump at the first (only ?) thing available at the time. As elsewhere above this was a massive step down. His star was rising and who knows if he had stayed at City a bit longer what job might have come his way. But the club decided otherwise and ''orf he jolly well went''.Unfortunately it still doesn''t stop this constant idiotic twaddle about the wicked board hoarding money to hold back poor little Norwich City.This was the same board that hauled us off our sorry ar ses when we were sat bottom in the third tier. The same hoard that has ruthlessly pushed us up through two leagues into the top flight and kept us there for two seasons. The same board who slapped down the NOTW and slapped around some small trader over using the club name on beer bottles.These blokes know what they are doing. They don''t just hand over a large amount of money to the manager or not, on some child like whim. The incoming players are located by scouts and thoroughly checked out/over before any approach is made. The manager has far far less imput than most fans seem to grasp .''The budget for those players is determined by far more than this supposed petty whim.You would have thought by now that even the dimmest of dim City fan would have grasped that freed up from major debt repayments and having an extra £20m plus (minimum) TV money the club would have more to spend in this area.But no, we are still subject to these idiotic squeaks about the club having a ''change of heart'' ............. durr, they had a change of the amount in the bank account. That''s all.

I think I read somewhere that we had spent something in the region of 23 million on transfer fees since 1992 and so far this close season we have spent what ? over 20 million which is incredible when you think about it

[quote user="City1st"][quote user="The Walking Man "]I think it was to do with the fact that Bowkett and Lambert had no relationship at the end.

Villa came in, Lambert I think would have gone to any other Premier League club at the time and lack of ambition excuse was used to save his face.[/quote]

A bit of sense at lastLambert was pushed and had to jump at the first (only ?) thing available at the time. As elsewhere above this was a massive step down. His star was rising and who knows if he had stayed at City a bit longer what job might have come his way. But the club decided otherwise and ''orf he jolly well went''.Unfortunately it still doesn''t stop this constant idiotic twaddle about the wicked board hoarding money to hold back poor little Norwich City.This was the same board that hauled us off our sorry ar ses when we were sat bottom in the third tier. The same hoard that has ruthlessly pushed us up through two leagues into the top flight and kept us there for two seasons. The same board who slapped down the NOTW and slapped around some small trader over using the club name on beer bottles.These blokes know what they are doing. They don''t just hand over a large amount of money to the manager or not, on some child like whim. The incoming players are located by scouts and thoroughly checked out/over before any approach is made. The manager has far far less imput than most fans seem to grasp .''The budget for those players is determined by far more than this supposed petty whim.You would have thought by now that even the dimmest of dim City fan would have grasped that freed up from major debt repayments and having an extra £20m plus (minimum) TV money the club would have more to spend in this area.But no, we are still subject to these idiotic squeaks about the club having a ''change of heart'' ............. durr, they had a change of the amount in the bank account. That''s all.

[/quote]

Yawn

I only really care what we are doing and don''t give a T0ss about lambert or villa.

We have enough to be excited and pleased about so can''t be bothered to dwell on this.

Mahogany wrote - "Now we have enough in reserve to take some risks."

Which of our six signings are risks? CH and McNally have done their homework on the four new lads who are all hard-working Pros and who always give 100%. They are obviously pleased to be here, share the Club''s ambitions and want to take themselves and the team to the next level.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]The truth will come out eventually, it always does. Might surprise a few too.[/quote]Agree. People still keep making broad assumptions about why Lambert left.   There are things we don''t know about, personalities, relationships both personal and working.   The constant villification of Lambert is based on nothing other than people''s wish to attack him because he had the nerve to leave our club.   I suspect we will eventually find out the truth.   He left under difficult circumstances, true, but that is all that can be said.

As for the strategy, I don''t think that has changed.  It was always going to be a case of building gradually.  The windfall this season has helped us to buy a bit more than we would otherwise have been able to do, that is all.