Sign in to follow this  
ryanncfc

Alderweireld has rejected us

His agent said that we couldn''t agree personal terms, which were apparently very high.   Soo gutted!  He''s the kind of player we should move heaven and earth for!   

We shouldn''t move heaven and earth for any player, as soon as you pay one player crazy wages to get him here, the rest of the squad start thinking I either get a wage rise or I force a move out losing the team unity that has served us so well.

Next Target on the list for our gaffer

I''m still happy with going into the new season with what we''ve got and CB''''s.

Bassong, Turner, Bennett and Martin is plenty good enough for the season. I''m sure Whittaker could do a job as well

Paying crazy wages would be going down the QPR route to disaster. I don''t blame the player as he could stay at Ajax and play CL football. If City can attract players like RvW and Fer with reasonable wages, then there are other top players out there who will accept reasonable offers.

This was always going to be an unlikely one to pull off as this lad will have bigger clubs than us coming for him especially if he sees out his last year at Ajax and be signed on a free. The club are right to not throw money at him to get him to sign and it''s good to see the type of quality we are going for. If we can get Fer and two good strikers I''ll be very pleased with the club''s recruitment and ambition.

Very happy with this if he was asking sky high wages ...feel in some way its indicative of motivation. If a player simply sees his next move in terms of monetary remuneration only ....then they''re not the right player - however talented - its a team game.

Shame but I can see this being the situation for quite a few players this season. Again we have to ask why this calibre of player would come to Norwich? In the cases of Quagliarella and Alderweireld and Toivonen they''d be giving up European football and would be moving to a smaller club. All we really offer is regular Premiership football and thats unlikely to be a lure for this type of player. Fer and RVW both want to make a name for themselves, others probably feel they are there already. RVW is leaving a sinking ship (at least financially) so a different dynamic.

Credit to the board for showing ambition (and dare I say it some prudence), and hopefully we might be able to convince one or two, something which will get easier with each signing we make.

Onwards and upwards

If you don''t ask you don''t get, move on to the next name on the list. Sure Hughton has plenty of targets to fall back on. Fer would be a great start. 

So this must mean we can''t compete with Ajax in wages. But we were tempting so we must have been close. Good times ahead.

We probably could pay him what he''s on at Ajax, or more (if he needed an incentive to move) but have probably chosen not to, which is very sensible. We have to be ambitious, but learn the lessons from other clubs before us who have been reckless with the finances. We have a wage structure and arent willing rather than arent capable of breaking it. I think the new TV deal means Premier League clubs can probably compete with most european sides in terms of funds, thats how outrageous the money has become

Rejecting personal terms could mean a disagreement over any part of the proposed contract. It could be that the player wanted more money than we were willing to pay, whether that amount was more or less than his current wage. He might have wanted a 5 year deal when we offered 4. It could even be something like image rights!

[quote user="Lunarcrash"]So this must mean we can''t compete with Ajax in wages. But we were tempting so we must have been close. Good times ahead.[/quote]
No it doesn''t mean that, it means we couldn''t meet the demands that he has for his next contract, not his current contract. If Ajax could pay him whatever it is that he now wants then perhaps he wouldn''t be seeking to move on... 

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]We probably could pay him what he''s on at Ajax, or more (if he needed an incentive to move) but have probably chosen not to, which is very sensible. We have to be ambitious, but learn the lessons from other clubs before us who have been reckless with the finances. We have a wage structure and arent willing rather than arent capable of breaking it. I think the new TV deal means Premier League clubs can probably compete with most european sides in terms of funds, thats how outrageous the money has become[/quote]

I would think we have almost cetainly offered more than he is on at Ajax. But either he thinks he can get an even higher offer from another English club (one of the top six or so) or he has factored in carrying on playing for a world-famous club, in the Champions League, and decided that for the moment he cares more about that than the extra money.

Acoording to Teamtalk article: Alderweireld''s agent, Soren Lerby, rejected suggestions that it was Norwich''s standing in the game that persuaded the 24-year-old to reject their overtures.

"The problem was not that Norwich didn''t fit Toby''s ambitions, but we simply failed to agree terms," Lerby told Algemeen Dagblad.

I wonder if this means the deal is completely dead in the water or maybe there might be a stand-off? Doesnt sound from this quote like he has looked down his nose at us in the way Toivonen did. Sounds like it simply is about money. If thats the case, could be that after a little thought or sweating, either side might concede a little. Surely just wishful thinking but its nice to hope!

Teamtalk running a story this morning that Liverpool want both him and Christian Eriksen in 22m double swoop.

Boo.

My fiancee who is a Liverpool supporter asked ''Where do Liverpool get their money from?'' It does make you wonder considering how much theyre going to lose on Carroll and Downing