Sign in to follow this  
Juggy

This is a bigger signing that Van Wolfswinkel...

If we want to play a DM alongside Fer in his box-to-box role, then Tettey would get the nod over Johnson for me everytime.Does everything Johnson does (and better IMHO), but can also pass and doesn''t kill someone in Row Z everytime he shoots either...

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Ah, the Tettey can pass better than Johnson myth appears once again.[/quote]I suppose when I mention that there are clear stats that back up my assertion, that you''ll be going for the ''Stats that disprove my opinion are made up/irrelevant'' argument in response Brownie? [:D]

Johnson is the superior player in my opinion. Fer craps all over all of them. 

If we are only playing two central mid-fielders than the right hand berth is Fer''s. Who starts alongside him is the quandary, both Johnson and Howson prefer that side - maybe CH will change it around according to the strength of the opposition?

Simple pass completion or passes attempted stats don''t tell the full story. I''m not saying Johnson is fantastic on the ball, far from it, but saying that Tettey is a better player because "he can actually pass" or whatever it was you said, is way wide of the mark for me. There''s not much between the two of them in the passing department in my opinion.

[quote user="TheNewBoy"]They are both amazing signings, but a team needs possession to create chances, and we strikers need chances to score goals. Any striker would have struggled in our team last season, not just Holt, even Van Wolfswinkel would have struggled. We obviously needed to strengthen the midfield, which we will do with several players, but Fer is a player of quality way beyond our wildest dreams. [/quote]

This!!It was so frustrating to watch last season when our midfield would bust their ar5e to win the ball and then give it back within 2 or 3 passes, because of poor possession skills.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]If we are only playing two central mid-fielders than the right hand berth is Fer''s. Who starts alongside him is the quandary, both Johnson and Howson prefer that side - maybe CH will change it around according to the strength of the opposition?[/quote]
I see Fer as an upgrade on Tettey and I suspect it will be a Johnson - Fer partnership which starts the season, unless we sign another quality centre mid.
I''d ideally like to see Howson compete with Hoolahan for that attacking centre mid spot, and actually question whether we need another player in that position. Would actually put a Johnson upgrade above an AM in importance tbh. 

According to an article I read today, the link to which I have misplaced, last season we gave every possession on average once per minute, and gained it back every 3 minutes. That''s just not good enough, and any player with a poor passing record is one we should be looking to replace, unless they have some great redeeming qualities.

if fer is not better than the current midfielders he is not worth signing. He will start and the others will have to fight to partner him

personally - I maintain we need another like him to make us truly competitive in central mid

Well Fer is definently more versatile than anyone we have at the moment, but I think our preseason game will decide which combination we will start to use in league.

I personaly think it is Fer- Johnson as Johnson was trusted over Tettey and Howson previous year and he was most profilic as a pivot for us, Fer would be wasted without freedom to make long runs with the ball.

Still I dont think it is impossible that Tettey would take his starting place back, He was very important part of that unbeaten run we had and he isnt that good going forward that he couldnt be used as pure holding role.

Howson in other hand have to fight with Hoolahan imo and mayby new signing for starting lineup place.

But as said we are so muc wiser after we see preseason games and who we will sign with rest of the budget.

I just took a few minutes to watch Fer on YouTube........and must say I can understand where you are coming from......a top top player and from what I can see we appear to have done some excellent business. Also, took a few minutes to watch some clips of Redmond...again, brilliant signing, can see him coming on initially as an impact player and causing some tired defenders some serious problems!! 

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]I just took a few minutes to watch Fer on YouTube........and must say I can understand where you are coming from......a top top player and from what I can see we appear to have done some excellent business. Also, took a few minutes to watch some clips of Redmond...again, brilliant signing, can see him coming on initially as an impact player and causing some tired defenders some serious problems!! [/quote]
People slate you for watching YouTube clips, but with Fer you can just see that he has some very obvious qualities which none of our current players currently offer. The speed at which he can win the ball and be forty yards up the pitch looks to be immense. It is what Tettey is supposed to do, and he does try to counter attack but he usually ends up running the forty yards and then misplacing his pass out wide. Tettey is a good squad player but he simply does not possess the quality of Fer, that much is obvious. 

Also looks to have a decent passing range, although we will have to wait and see how many of those land at feet!