Sign in to follow this  
Canary_Mad

mcnally tweet

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]
"He''s obviously a good player but ''world class'' is really pushing it." 

Yes true, I used that description earlier and was correctly picked up for it. However, since when in the past have Norwich City ever envisaged signing an Italian international forward with 25 caps to his name?

If it comes about, and there are massive doubts about this in reality, let''s settle for calling it a ''World Class'' signing by the Hoots. 

[/quote]
Can''t we just call it a ''quality'' signing, or even a ''top quality'' signing? If anything he is ''international class''. The words ''world class'' is probably on applicable to three Italian players and that is Buffon, Pirlo, and De Rossi.
He is basically a squad player for Italy, a national team which isn''t any better than ours and doesn''t have an abundance of top class strikers. He is probably the equivalent of signing the Italian version of Darren Bent when it comes to status. 
He''s a good signing and we could do with a bit of experience, probably won''t cost us anywhere near the money that somebody like Bent would (wage wise), and is probably going to score a few goals - always a bonus with a striker.
I''m much more excited about Leroy Fer, due to his potential, who is probably the Dutch equivalent of signing Jack Rodwell. 

Honestly, if we signed both Quagliarella and Fey this transfer window. I think I''ll be in dreamland. That would be quite remarkable and an incredible scoop for the club. Both are top top players. Obviously Fey is young with lots of promise whilst Fabio Quagliarella is a high quality striker who''s scored goals everywhere he''s gone. Not quite world class as people are branding him, but certainly a top half prem striker.I guess this is now our level, top half prem.

"PurpleCanary" From the King of Spain to the King of Iron. Sounds like a downgrade to me.

:-)

Don''t tell Wiz we''re signing an ''iron''!

[quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="BroadstairsR"]
"He''s obviously a good player but ''world class'' is really pushing it." 

Yes true, I used that description earlier and was correctly picked up for it. However, since when in the past have Norwich City ever envisaged signing an Italian international forward with 25 caps to his name?

If it comes about, and there are massive doubts about this in reality, let''s settle for calling it a ''World Class'' signing by the Hoots. 

[/quote]
 is probably on applicable to three Italian players and that is Buffon, Pirlo, and De Rossi.
[/quote]
Four sorry, forgot about Balotteli, who would probably be considered world class. 

"He is basically a squad player for Italy, a national team which isn''t any better than ours"

Do you support Scotland with that comment as you can''t be talking about England.

how many major tournament finals have england appeared in over the last 7 years?oh yes, that''s right, just getting out of the group is an acheivement now....

[quote user="Hackedoff"]"He is basically a squad player for Italy, a national team which isn''t any better than ours"

Do you support Scotland with that comment as you can''t be talking about England.[/quote]
Are you suggesting that I''m a Scotland fan because I don''t think the England team are better than Italy? 
If anything I''d argue that Italy are a little bit better than England, but with England having a bit more potential for the future if players like Wilshere, Rodwell, and Oxlade-Chamberlain fulfill their potential. We haven''t got anybody with the quality of Pirlo in our team and when we did have one (Scholes) we wasted him. 
You are deluded if you think we are any better than Italy. Who got to the final of Euro 2012 again? They over-achieved, but didn''t see England getting to the final. 

[quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="Hackedoff"]"He is basically a squad player for Italy, a national team which isn''t any better than ours"

Do you support Scotland with that comment as you can''t be talking about England.[/quote]
Are you suggesting that I''m a Scotland fan because I don''t think the England team are better than Italy? 
If anything I''d argue that Italy are a little bit better than England, but with England having a bit more potential for the future if players like Wilshere, Rodwell, and Oxlade-Chamberlain fulfill their potential. We haven''t got anybody with the quality of Pirlo in our team and when we did have one (Scholes) we wasted him. 
You are deluded if you think we are any better than Italy. Who got to the final of Euro 2012 again? They over-achieved, but didn''t see England getting to the final. 
[/quote]And how long have we been saying this?

[quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="Hackedoff"]"He is basically a squad player for Italy, a national team which isn''t any better than ours"

[/quote]

I believe he is saying the complete opposite, that their team is much better than ours

We have three world class players.... Hart, Rooney, Cole. Then we have two players who are passed their peak but were world class at their best... Gerrard and Terry, one of whom has retired from Internationals. Perhaps Lampard falls into that second group, but in terms of current world class players we have three and none of them are in midfield. Every successful national team has had a world class midfielder. We should have capitalised on Scholes but we didn''t. France had Zidane, Spain have Iniesta and Xavi, Brazil had Rivaldo. Italy had Pirlo in the summer but he is ageing. Until we have a world class player pulling the strings in the middle of the park we have no chance, and that''s why people are holding out hope that Wilshere can fulfil his potential. 

England doesnt have potential, The ox, Rodwell and Wilshire wouldnt get in at any forgein sides and are nothing better than what England already have.in 10-15 years time qualification will be all that England hope for... never ind reaching a semi final etc.

[quote user="Canary_Mad"][quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="Hackedoff"]"He is basically a squad player for Italy, a national team which isn''t any better than ours"

[/quote]

I believe he is saying the complete opposite, that their team is much better than ours[/quote]
But that wouldn''t make the slightest bit of sense. Why would a Scotland fan be complimentary of England by saying that Italy are only a little better? 
Italy are over rated just like we are. Without Pirlo and De Rossi they would be useless, and they won''t have Pirlo for long. 

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]England doesnt have potential, The ox, Rodwell and Wilshire wouldnt get in at any forgein sides and are nothing better than what England already have.[/quote]
Think you are wrong there, all three have a lot of potential, Oxlade-Chamberlian in particular looks like he could become world class and has 3 goals in 12 games at 19 years old.  Plenty of players in the Spanish team who hadn''t even broken into domestic football by that age. 
He is one year older than some of the kids who won the FA youth cup last year and he is already playing regularly for a top four side and for England.

[quote user="Herman "]You are confusing the hell out of us Newboy!!![/quote]
I''m the confused one, trust me, the Scotland comment confused me - still think he was saying England are better than Italy. 

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]It will be that the money we''ve saved on Alderwereild has gone to bribe the umpires at Trent Bridge.[/quote]

Brilliant [Y] [:D]

[quote user="I am a Banana"]Someone said Hart was world class! Lol!![/quote]
Well he is, can you name five better keepers? Considering Brazil play the QPR keeper and Holland play the Swansea keeper, and considering he keeps Ruddy out of the England team... and considering the French number 1 had to share his gloves with a 42 year old Brad Friedel.... I''d say that Hart falls easily within world class. We will see that again this season now that Mancini has gone.  

[quote user="Wings of a Sparrow"]All I can say is that some of you are really hard to please.

He would be a quality signing and no mistake.[/quote]
I agree with that, he would be a ''quality signing'', he just wouldn''t be a ''world class'' signing, and the only way that a team like ours could have a ''world class'' player is to buy them very young and develop them into one. 

"TheNewBoy""Herman "You are confusing the hell out of us Newboy!!

I''m the confused one, trust me, the Scotland comment confused me - still think he was saying England are better than Italy. 

No he wasn''t. That''s what''s confusing.

[quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="Herman "]You are confusing the hell out of us Newboy!!![/quote]
[/quote]He wasnt, I understood perfectly

[quote user="Herman "]"TheNewBoy""Herman "You are confusing the hell out of us Newboy!!

No he wasn''t. That''s what''s confusing.[/quote]
If he thinks that England are worse than I do, which you think he does, then why would I be the Scotland fan? 
A Scotland fan would say something like "England are crap, no world class players, never going to win anything, no good young players coming through, can''t wait to beat them again at Wembley so I can run onto the pitch and tear down the goal posts". 
A Scotland fan wouldn''t say "England are almost as good as Italy, a team which contains four world class players". 

[quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="Wings of a Sparrow"]All I can say is that some of you are really hard to please.

He would be a quality signing and no mistake.[/quote]
I agree with that, he would be a ''quality signing'', he just wouldn''t be a ''world class'' signing, and the only way that a team like ours could have a ''world class'' player is to buy them very young and develop them into one.[/quote]Martin Peters was world class but we didn''t develop him nor buy him young..........

I doubt if we have signed or will sign a "world class" player, whatever that means. Toivonen may think himself too good, and the CB who declined may have been close.

What is the defining characteristic of "world class"? It could be wages negotiated. If so, our levels of wages are way too low. Are we paying anyone near to £40k per week yet? I doubt it. The "big boys" have players on three or four times that! The recipients may be thought "world class". It could be that we become a club of sub-world-class, introducing foreign players and then watching them go elsewhere for higher wages.

[quote user="Morisons Prozac"]better keepers: Buffon, Casillas, Neuer, Ruddy, Vorm, Cesar, De Gea (potentially), Weidenfeller, Lloris, Adler

All better than Hart IMO[/quote]
With a better man manager Hart will revert back to the form that he showed two years ago. He has had one bad season playing for a manager who lost his dressing room and who would berate Hart publicly. 
Cesar better than Hart? You must be kidding right? The bloke who played for QPR last season? He was crud, he even lost his place in the team to Green towards the end. 
Buffon, Casillas, Neuer are the only three in your list who are better than Hart when he gets over his current confidence issues and reverts back to form from 18 months ago.