If we had just spent 12.5m on this guy, who was bought by Celtic for 900k would we be happy?

I would be seriously upset if I was a Southampton fan. I cant see how a player can increase his value this much after playing in the Scottish League, which lets face it is League One standard.

61 appearances later and he''s a 12.5m player? On that platform?

I know Celtic played Champions League football as well, but I cant help thinking they have paid way over the odds there. Celtic in general seem to massively over-value their players. Mind you if Dwight Gayle is worth 8.5m maybe the currency has been adjusted...

Wanayama is a very decent player.A Lot of people believe he was the best player Celtic had on their books.£12.5 million is mad though.... it also suggests to me the sort of evaluation Lennon has put on Hooper.Perhaps why we cooled our interestThen again Dwight Gayle went to Crystal Palace for like £9 million... transfers have gone mad...

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]Wanayama is a very decent player.A Lot of people believe he was the best player Celtic had on their books.£12.5 million is mad though.... it also suggests to me the sort of evaluation Lennon has put on Hooper.Perhaps why we cooled our interestThen again Dwight Gayle went to Crystal Palace for like £9 million... transfers have gone mad...[/quote]Gayle was 3-4 with add-ons I believe, Wanayama is still young and you don''t really know who Southampton was competing with to get his signature.

Pretty sure the general opinion was Dwight Gayle went for £8.5 - £9.5 million. There was such a massive fuss when he signed and a lot of journos were quoting that figure.No we don''t know who they were competing with.... but we do know Hooper has been targeted by a lot of clubs.I therefore think it''s reasonable to presume (added with the rejected £5 /£6 million bids) that Lennon is hoping to shift Hooper for a lot more than he''s worth.

Totally agree with the OP, whereas Fer has had two seasons in the dutch league (a more competitive league) and also played in the champions league. I think if they we''re both valued at 10million I''d choose Fer. However we didn''t even pay that and credit has to go to McNally having the best negotiation skills in the league.

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]Pretty sure the general opinion was Dwight Gayle went for £8.5 - £9.5 million. There was such a massive fuss when he signed and a lot of journos were quoting that figure.No we don''t know who they were competing with.... but we do know Hooper has been targeted by a lot of clubs.I therefore think it''s reasonable to presume (added with the rejected £5 /£6 million bids) that Lennon is hoping to shift Hooper for a lot more than he''s worth.[/quote]

I never saw 9 million!!! It''s more like half that. People exaggerate these things to prove a point!!

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12691/8804051/Transfer-News-Crystal-Palace-sign-striker-Dwight-Gayle-from-Peterborough-United

I saw Gayle supposedly went for 9 million thought it must be a massive over estimation.

The thing is though, Gayle could go the entire season not scoring a goal, then the last kick of the last game could score the goal to keep Palace in the League, and essentially that goal would be worth £90m, so sometimes transfer fees don''t really mean anything!

If he doesn''t score a goal all season I''d put money on them being relegated before the final match but they could sign a 100 pound striker and that could happen.

Rumours suggest that Southampton were willing to pay over the odds to try to prevent them from being gazumped by a higher profile team who would be unwilling to pay that price for him.Frankly I think Celtic are laughing all the way to the bank, and whoever is in charge at Soton has dropped a complete bolash with this one.Decent young player who will only get better, but worth close to 3x what we paid for Fer - you''re having a total giraffe!

Holt got 8 yellows which doesn''t get him suspended...

10 yellows and you get a 2 game suspension, 15 yellows and you get a 3 game suspension, and 3 game suspension for the reds, which by his actions should have gotten Wanyama suspended for 11 games.

I''d call that a liability for a team wanting to stay away from the relegation zone.

Wouldn''t surprise me if Southampton make a profit on him at some point. So time will tell.... 

Price wise does that mean that Wanyama is 3x the player Fer is? Guess we''ll find out part way through the season

12.5m seems a little much though for someone who looks decent, no more.

[quote user="Lunarcrash"]Price wise does that mean that Wanyama is 3x the player Fer is? Guess we''ll find out part way through the season

12.5m seems a little much though for someone who looks decent, no more.[/quote]
He looks more than decent, he is quality. Perhaps Fer is a bargain and Wanyama is the market rate, you thought about that? Fer also failed a medical at Everton apparently, although nobody knows if that was genuine. If he did then a lower price will be commanded due to the risk involved. Fer won''t be worth a penny to us if he spends the next four years on the treatment table, would probably be worth Wanyama money if he plays week in week out. 

[quote user="Ches right hand man "][quote user="ReadingCanary"]Wanayama is a very decent player.A Lot of people believe he was the best player Celtic had on their books.£12.5 million is mad though.... it also suggests to me the sort of evaluation Lennon has put on Hooper.Perhaps why we cooled our interestThen again Dwight Gayle went to Crystal Palace for like £9 million... transfers have gone mad...[/quote]Gayle was 3-4 with add-ons I believe, Wanayama is still young and you don''t really know who Southampton was competing with to get his signature. [/quote]According to the local rag, the Peterborough Telegraph, Gayle went to Palace for £6m but whether that includes add-ons is anyone''s guess.Whatever the figure it''s a huge amount for a player who''s only played League football for two years.