Cantona

Gascoigne

Lineker

In that order

For norwich

Holty

Hucks

Gunny

Roberts (named my lad Iwan after the great man)

Bruce (my first real fav player)

Bellars

Bowen

Crooky

Drinks

Flecky

Phillips

NOT in that order

[quote user="Costa.canary"]My favourite 3 are batistuta , bergamp and Franco baresi[/quote]

Just sent you a private message mate.

[quote user="Unhinged Canary"]Have to add kudos for linking this vid.

It''s very easy to forget just how good some of these players were. You

look at any of those goals on there and it''s not just a swing for goal.

Every single one is placed with finesse. Absolute class.I don''t

know, but I just don''t feel the same about players today any more. You

talk about your Ronaldo''s (Brazilian), Hagi''s, Stoichkov''s (Has he been

mentioned?) Cantona''s ét al, and you just get that buzz of how great

things were. Maybe it''s just me?[/quote]Nope, you''re not alone in thinking that way.Aside from a couple of players like Messi and C.Ronaldo, there''s virtually no-one in the modern game that offers me the same feeling of excitement and pure joy that you used to get from watching the players that were mentioned on this thread.This is probably why my mate (who''s just turned 50) and I play custom leagues on PES against each other, with 2 teams made entirely of ''classic'' players (with the odd modern one like Messi thrown in). When you''ve got Duncan Edwards passing to Rijkaard who plays it onto the wing for Gullit, who crosses it in for Weah who knocks it down to Puskas to smash it into the top corner, you KNOW there''s something special happening [:D]

It''s probably just because you grew up with those players. Or could even just be each new generation your expectation gets a bit higher etc etc etc

I can''t tell you what to enjoy, but for me I don''t see how you don''t find players like Bale, Iniesta, Ozil, Mata, Hazard, Aguero, Ibrahmimovic exciting (and that''s without even thinking about it) . And some of the players you and unhinged and others weren''t exactly all playing together at exactly the same time, in the same leagues etc.

There''s more great players today than ever before, the bar has been set so high now it''s ridiculous. So to see the goal scoring feats of Messi and Ronaldo over several seasons now is spectacular. For me there''s never been two better players in one league competing with each other to be the worlds best.

Furthermore next summer it''s Argentina for the World Cup, it will be the tournament where Messi makes his mark and wins it for them. He will become the best ever.

Then rightly so above Bale has been mentioned, over the past two seasons he''s proven to be world class. It''s a shame he''s Welsh and will never show his craft at a major tournament, but get this guy to a proper big club and he''ll be a contender for the Ballon d''Or one day.

Also Iniesta and Xavi, the best midfield pairing ever.

Most of the greats mentioned in above posts were from different generations and eras, cherry picked and placed together. But right now at the same time it''s a golden era for football. We''ll look back shaking our heads and marvel at the quality we saw every week from so many greats at the same time.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]It''s probably just because you grew up with those players. Or could even just be each new generation your expectation gets a bit higher etc etc etc[/quote]Not really GP, in fact many of my all time favourite players are from well before my time watching football as a youngster, I''ve even searched out old footage of players like Sindelar (and 1930''s footage is almost IMPOSSIBLE to find), so I don''t think it''s a generation thing.[quote]I can''t tell you what to enjoy, but for me I don''t see how you don''t find players like Bale, Iniesta, Ozil, Mata, Hazard, Aguero, Ibrahmimovic exciting (and that''s without even thinking about it).[/quote]Talented players - absolutely, exciting - not so much.I love to watch highly skillful, ''old-fashioned'' dribblers of the ball, and out of your list (I know it was offhand) there''s only really Hazard and maybe Ibra that fit into that description, most instead are what I call ''modern'' players, who have strong technical ability, undoubted fitness and ability, but there''s just something missing and I''m still not exactly sure what it is.Take Bale as an example - he is simply a bloody quick guy with the balance/strength to hold off most tackles and with a wicked left foot to boot, but skill wise, players like Magico Gonzalez and Best make him look distinctly average in comparison, yet in the modern game there''s far more call for players like Bale than there is Best etc.It''s almost impossible to compare players across era''s however, because the style of football and the game itself has changed massively over the last 100 years, but if someone gave me a time machine so I could bring some ''classic'' players into the modern game, I''d expect players like Gullit, Laudrup and Maradona to not only be good enough for the modern game - but better than what''s already here in the vast majority of cases - and that includes players like Ozil, Mata and Aguero...

so hard to know where to start, messi, hagi, stoichkov, platini romario, cruyff, eusbio and yashin, ronaldo and maradonna, beckenbaur and love the shout of baresi - was the epitome of style and ruthlessness.

would probably have to say platini or hagi

Maradona of course but closer to home it would have to be Gazza and Matt Le Tissier.Only one person prevented Paul Gascoigne from becoming one of the greats,it was er......"Paul Gascoigne", what skill but what self destructiveness.Le Tissier on the other hand got a raw deal from the current England manager at the time Glen Hoddle.Should of been on the plane for the world cup at  France 98 but one costly missed sitter header against Italy in the qualifier at wembley cost him dearly and planted a seed of doubt in Hoddle''s mind about his ability to perform in big games.Apart from that i have never seen a player make scoring spectacular goals seem so effortless, as normal as having a cup of tea.I saw Le Tiss make his debut against us ( We won 4-3), and when he came on as sub i thought "what a strange name , i doubt he would amount to anything".His  greatest ever goal was this one , ironically against us, Le Tiss takes the piss   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSaTQ_1Hm7c

As much as I liked Le Tissier, he really needed the team to be built around him to fully perform, and whilst you can showboat to a certain extent in a midweek fixture against Barnsley, it''s a totally different matter when you''re facing Brazil or Germany...Le Tiss loved being the "big fish in the small pond", he liked living by the coast and he chose this over proving he really was good enough for the very best by signing for someone like Man Utd, nothing wrong with that but it does raise minor doubts over his overall talent.

To add a bit more to this........favorite players also for one memorable, outstanding moment of skill that stays in the memory or a player who has just done something on the pitch that youll never forget?

i have 2.....

1.David Rocastle for that maaaad bit of skill, back in the day, on the touchline where he was sandwiched between 2 players, did a crazy turn and ran off down the line. Class.

2. Di Canio when he caught the ball when the keeper was injured, rather than sticking it in the net. Class of a different kind.

Francesco Totti

At his peak did things with the ball id never seen, no look passes, and just unbelivable moments of creative genius youd just never seen from any other player, some of his link passes were out of this world.

I don''t think these players would be so much better Indy, it would be extremely hard to even start comparing because of fitness etc. But to be honest the overal standerd is probably better now, the training more intense etc.

I don''t see how you can say past players would be better than what''s here. They could well be, but the game has changed in many many ways and not just money wise.

And while I respect your opinion but I don''t understand it. Yes most of the players you have mentioned were technically fantastic and great to watch (again from highlights I''ve seen) but I''d rather watch a live game with any of today''s greats, and have done for over a decade. For me there is so many great players and excitement. Although I think some players/teams are limited by tactics and the emphasis on fitness these days.

Also, if you''re just going on skill wise, as you mention Hagi being better than Bale because of skill, what''s wrong with the Brazilians, Kaka, Ronaldinho, Neymar even Courtinho and Oscar amongst others. Also whenever I see him Ozil looks very very skilful and so good on the ball. Going back a little, Deco, Figo, Guily, Del Piero, Giggs I could go on...

This is obviously something objective and I don''t expect you to just give up on your viewpoint, football is fantastic and we can all enjoy it in our own way!

Ferenc Puskas, the galloping major, was chubby even in his prime like Holt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWG7T80Tw6o

Davor Suker, Zlatan Ibrahimovic

[quote user="super canary"]To add a bit more to this........favorite players also for one memorable, outstanding moment of skill that stays in the memory or a player who has just done something on the pitch that youll never forget? i have 2..... 1.David Rocastle for that maaaad bit of skill, back in the day, on the touchline where he was sandwiched between 2 players, did a crazy turn and ran off down the line. Class. 2. Di Canio when he caught the ball when the keeper was injured, rather than sticking it in the net. Class of a different kind.[/quote]

Piksi Stojkovic (manager)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQPR43v64e4

Mine are Norwich players. Flecky through my teenage years - scorer of great goals and he just had that something extra. Then Eadie - produced the best half of football I have ever seen when he destroyed QPR in a game we were losing 2-0 at half time but came back to win 4-2 with Eadie having a hand in all the goals. He also basically carried City for 3 years.

Then it was Hucks - still my favourite all time player. Made such a huge impact during his time with us. Scored & made liads of goals. Top bloke too & someone who loves the club as well.

Finally - Grant Holt. A player who worked his way up the leagues and gave heart to many footballers that the prem is not a closed shop.