Sign in to follow this  
super canary

your favorite footballer....EVER!

Someone you admired/admire for sheer footballing class....someone who you were down the park when you were a youngster.....someone who did or does makes you think wow, that guy is summat special.

For me........Gheorghe Hagi-just oooozed class and was the type of player i based my entire youth football career on. loved the way that guy played.

Fernando Torres(Honestly)Oh what could have been.. had he not moved to Chelsea.Every time he steps up to take a penalty, rounds the keeper, goes 1v1 there''s always drama.I do feel sorry for him, but every now and then something like this happens.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReK1waJFhLIand dear old NANDO puts a smile on my face.

Lee Trundle, basically a fat Welsh bloke who had a bag of tricks as big as Ronaldinho.  

Most certainly Dennis Bergamp. Genious with athletic build.

Messi would be horse poo compared to him if he would have to play with level of physicality and heavier ball that he endured.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drScL8q956o

This video never gets old ^^

Cristiano ronaldo for me of the players currently playing. When he gets the ball you never know what he will do with it. Gareth bale plays a similar style and therefore he is my favourite current prem player. Then for norwich there is only one, the legend he is darren huckerby. All three players mention ooze class on the ball with real pace with the ability to score all sorts of goals.

Thierry Henry for me, easily the most dangerous striker I''ve ever seen.Some incredible players over the years in competition however, with Ruud Gullit and George Weah being a very close second and third...

When I was a kid (33 now) so from around 1988-93 or so I always liked Gary Linekar and Robert Fleck my bruiser of a neighbor use to always pretend to be Vinnie Jones grrr

Mine has to be my fellow countryman and hero ever since I was a little boy:

Alessandro Del Piero

All-time record goal scorer at Juventus, a true one-team man (until they no longer needed him at least!)

If anyone wants to know how a true classic ''number 10'' ought to play, this man IS the example. A truly great role model too!

Agree with all mentioned beforehand. Always loved Dennis Bergkamp personally (even though he did score THAT goal). Always used to say that if you played ME next to Dennis Bergkamp I would get 10 goals a season - Dennis Bergkamp was that good.

Also have to give a special mention to Matt Le Tissier though. Truly special player. Just a shame he''s become a bit of a knob as a pundit!

[quote user="Mervmeister"]Schmeichel

Thuram Stam Nesta R.Carlos

Figo Zidane Hagi Nedved

Batistua Ronaldo (Brazilian)

That would be my 11 me thinks.[/quote]
I bet if you asked any of those players what they think of your XI they would insist on a deep lying midfielder like Roy Keane or Claude Makelele to hold it all together. Defensive midfielders always go unnoticed but without one you don''t have a team. 

[quote user="Mervmeister"]I kmowmlol, was thinking that, but hey ho.

Makelele would prob be my choice for that, or even Pirlo.[/quote]
Think Scholes would do. Not a good tackler but he can dictate tempo. If you switched Hagi with a second generation Scholes (after he moved deep) you would have your little diamond. 

Buffon
Cafu      R. Koeman      Cannavaro     Carlos
Figo       Zidane             Scholes           Giggs
              Ronaldo (fat)    Henry
That would have to be mine, heavy bias towards players that I have seen a lot of, so it ignores players before my time. Wanted to fit Michael Laudrup in there somewhere but couldn''t really take out Zidane. 

Since you ask for "favourite" rather than "best" ever footballer, I''m torn between Johnny Gavin, Jimmy Hill (ours, not the one with the chin), Robert Fleck, and Dennis Bergkamp.

(One or two of those might not mean a lot to the younger memebers of this board).