Sign in to follow this  
Juggy

What do we still need?

Just thinking about what it is that we still need to improve the squad. 
Another quality striker has to be the most important signing now doesn''t it? We probably need two, but one of those can be a bit average or a talented kid. 
So I would say that a quality striker and another cheap striker or kid is the most essential ingredient now. 
A lot of people would say attacking midfielder but I personally think that it is time for Howson to step up and show his Premier League quality. We saw it at the end of last season, and we saw it for a couple of months under Lambert. We already have the natural Hoolahan successor at the club if he can continue that form.
I''m tempted to say that we actually need another quality centre midfielder, possibly a defensive one. I know that my opinion isn''t popular but I don''t rate Tettey. He now for me is backup for Fer. 
I do rate Johnson, and despite his poor passing his job now surely just has to be to win the ball and give it to Fer. We could still do better than Johnson though so if there is a quality holding midfielder on the market then I''d be tempted to want to bring him in. Victor Wanyama would have been perfect, but I''m sure there are others of his quality on the continent.
I''m inclined also to look a little at the defence. Whilst it was our strongest part of the pitch last season you should never stand still. We have three quality centre backs if you don''t include Martin. If you do include Martin then that suggests that Whittaker is our right back. 
Either we should sign another centre back or we should sign another right back, so that we are left with four quality CB''s and two right backs. Hughton obviously has the intention to sign a centre back.
For me personally I''d like to see two strikers, a defensive midfielder, and one defender (right back or centre back). What is your opinion? Do we need an attacking centre mid, and do we really need another winger? (two wingers according to RVW!). 

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Another striker, another winger and an Attacking Midfielder. All according to the ''list''.[/quote]
Which of those positions would Alderweireld have filled? 

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Another striker, another winger and an Attacking Midfielder. All according to the ''list''.[/quote]

Disagree. All we really need is one more striker. Anything else is luxury. And tbh I''m concerned too many signings could upset the apple cart. I think we''ve signed enough. And what we have signed is quality.

For me the second striker is most important ofc, because I dont think Becchio is up to any other task than big target for last 20 minutes when we are behind.

But I dont rate Howson either that much that I would trust him as our 10. Hoolahan is clearly better ball distributor and moving in tight space, but isnt enough big goalscoring threat. So playmaking, goalscoring CAM for me.

And last but not least that CB. He doesnt have to be starter as Turner can do the job, but then again someone who is bit better on feet would be nice to have.

We have promising youngsters so I feel they are more than enought as a backup strikers so no need to get average joe in our payroll.

So: Good striker, Playmaker 10 and modern CB.

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="Joanna Grey"]Another striker, another winger and an Attacking Midfielder. All according to the ''list''.[/quote]

Disagree. All we really need is one more striker. Anything else is luxury. And tbh I''m concerned too many signings could upset the apple cart. I think we''ve signed enough. And what we have signed is quality.[/quote]
That depends on what system he plans to adopt though, if he would like to switch to 4-4-2 then three strikers isn''t enough. One injury and you are left with two strikers, suddenly you become very reluctant to stick them both on the pitch at the same time. 
I don''t think we need an AM either, unless that player can double as an out and out striker. Can''t see how we need another winger, we have four, unless Elliott Bennett really is wanted by Lambert at Villa.... but Bennett is a good player and I think he is worth keeping hold of. 
But two strikers is a must imho. 

[quote user="Lavanche"]We have promising youngsters so I feel they are more than enought as a backup strikers so no need to get average joe in our payroll.

So: Good striker, Playmaker 10 and modern CB.[/quote]
Both Loza and Morris really need to go and get roughed up in the lower leagues somewhere before being thrust into Premier League football. The latter is only 17. Wouldn''t want to rely on them just yet, they need to go and get kicked about a bit by some bruisers in League One. 

I don''t think we should sign anyone ''a bit average.'' Every signing should be as good as or better than what we already have.

I imagine we will sign someone who is an attacking midfielder who can also play upfront if required along with another out and out striker.

With the very strong rumours we were in for that Ajax centre back I would be surprised if we don''t have other defensive targets lined up.

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="Joanna Grey"]Another striker, another winger and an Attacking Midfielder. All according to the ''list''.[/quote] Disagree. All we really need is one more striker. Anything else is luxury. And tbh I''m concerned too many signings could upset the apple cart. I think we''ve signed enough. And what we have signed is quality.[/quote]

Totally ridiculous. What happens if one gets injured and another gets sent off in the first game? You have to allow for injuries, loss of form and suspensions. As sure as night follows day, they all happen at some time.

[quote user="Marc Libbras haircut"] Every signing should be as good as or better than what we already have.[/quote]
Has to be as good or better than no one then, we don''t have a third striker anymore! He went to the Bundesliga! 

Both murphy brothers can play as strikers and they don rely on heir size nor strenght and even with 3 strikers I doubt we would have any minutes for them except in cup and I personal trust that Loza could do just as well for example than Jackson or C.Martin did as cover.

I see no reason keep youth team if its best players can''t be 4th cover for each position specially as we are not top 4 team and not playing in Europe that we would have need for huge rotation and money for keeping quality for 4 players per spot ^^

The absolute must for me is TWO more good strikers. To have less than 4 strikers in the squad would be close to suicide. Goals are essential and always will be. Signing less than 2 strikers could leave us with no options up front if we got a couple of injuries. Who would fancy a spell with Bechio up front on his own and no striker on the bench? We MUST sign 2 strikers.

Upset the apple cart, Lincoln? All you did last season was complain about how poor we were, surely a vast overhaul would appeal to you?

[quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="Joanna Grey"]Another striker, another winger and an Attacking Midfielder. All according to the ''list''.[/quote] Disagree. All we really need is one more striker. Anything else is luxury. And tbh I''m concerned too many signings could upset the apple cart. I think we''ve signed enough. And what we have signed is quality.[/quote]

Totally ridiculous. What happens if one gets injured and another gets sent off in the first game? You have to allow for injuries, loss of form and suspensions. As sure as night follows day, they all happen at some time.

[/quote]

And thats why there is modern team plannig. It is quite doubtful that we have same time 3 strikers and 2 of our 4 wingers, 3 youth players and possible signing for 10 spot injured or suspended at same time.

If teams with lot more games can do this, I see no reason why we could not. If we dont get bargain for quality I see no reason to bring another Becchio to sit on the bench. At most I would see us loan other striker behind RvW and possible signing. For example Real Madrid is looking for certain ammount of playtime for Jése in good league ;)

And if we are at the situation where we really dont have anyone to put upfront from attacking players we can always trust that Martin can do the job.

I''d like to see a really good passer of the ball come in. Someone who can play that quarterback role between the defence and midfield. I don''t think we''ll be playing 442, with the quality we have in goal scoring midfielders I don''t think it would make sense. Basically I want someone between Fox and Pirlo.

That and another striker and I think we''re set, barring any further sales of course.

Oh yeah to add that I''m ofc talking out of out strikers. 3 is more than enought, but if we want to add attackers like Redmond who can play in many positions well as pure 9 I''m totally up to signing more of them ^^

[quote user="CaptnCanary"]The absolute must for me is TWO more good strikers. To have less than 4 strikers in the squad would be close to suicide. Goals are essential and always will be. Signing less than 2 strikers could leave us with no options up front if we got a couple of injuries. Who would fancy a spell with Bechio up front on his own and no striker on the bench? We MUST sign 2 strikers.[/quote]

Absolutely correct of course. Why anyone would suggest less is completely beyond me.

[quote user="Lavanche"]Oh yeah to add that I''m ofc talking out of out strikers. 3 is more than enought, but if we want to add attackers like Redmond who can play in many positions well as pure 9 I''m totally up to signing more of them ^^[/quote]

I am sorry but, in my opinion, I believe you are clueless on this.

Signed too many? Remind us how many we signed the previous 3-4 seasons? Definitely need 2 strikers and not really as bench warmers but competition.

Quality Centre Back - Alderwireld

A attacking midfielder who can play as a second striker -

Competition for RVW - - Believe it will be Hooper

Been greedy RB - Sam Byram

For me, if we don''t sell anyone else, anything less than 2 strikers would be alarming.

Anything more than 2 strikers would be a nice luxury but not urgent.

[quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="Lavanche"]Oh yeah to add that I''m ofc talking out of out strikers. 3 is more than enought, but if we want to add attackers like Redmond who can play in many positions well as pure 9 I''m totally up to signing more of them ^^[/quote]

[/quote]

Give me a team that plays succesful football with 1 upfront and has 4 out to out strikers in their adult squad. You really wont find any as that is name of the modern football: Versatility and you cant fill 4 spots for players that can do only same job.

You buy players like Podolski, Moses Schurrle and Aguero who can either play equally well or better wide or behind the striker than as a lonely 9.

I can be clueless and only preach for my own opinion, but most of managers seem to support my opinion was it for same reasons or not.

I really don''t think we need another cb. Alderweireld would''ve been an amazing signing, but I think it was probably a case of seeing that a great player was available and possibly interested rather than filling a need. Between Bassong, Turner, Bennett and Martin we have 4 players I''d be very comfortable to see start for us. Sure if we get the opportunity to go for another Alderweireld type player we should jump at it, but then I think that goes for every position.

2 Strikers

You could get away with one if the absolute plan was to play with only one up. I''m happy playing one up front, I think 2 up front is old fashioned, so would quite happily see an attacking midfielder replace a striker. 1 x AM and 1 x ST or 2 x ST, either option is good for me.

1 Defender (Either right back or central, depending where Martin sees himself)

We only have 7 defenders - That is assuming Barnett and Ayala aren''t playing. 7 isn''t enough, we need one more.

Anything else isn''t essential, and should be to improve on the current squad by moving someone else on, unless we are short of the 25 or course and there is no need to move someone else on. But I would rather sell or loan out than keep a player who is never gonna play. This season I would rather play Morris or the Murphys if we are short. Would help to give them minutes.

We looked toothless without bassong last season. A cb that can boss the right side in sync with bass on the left side has to be one of the priorities. If god forbid bass got injured for a prolonged time we could be in trouble

[quote user="Lavanche"][quote user="Webbo118"]

[/quote]

Give me a team that plays succesful football with 1 upfront and has 4 out to out strikers in their adult squad. [/quote]
You are assuming that we will be playing one striker, may not be the case, at Newcastle Hughton did not.
But anyway.... 
West Brom: Long, Rosenberg, Odemwingie, Anelka
Yes, Odemwingie can play wide, but he is also a natural striker. At current they have four.
Aresenal: Poldoski, Giroud, Gervinho, Chamakh + Walcott who is excellent up front.
Swansea: Michu, Lita, Moore, Bony
Liverpool: Suarez, Aspas, Sturridge, Borini

[quote user="Lavanche"][quote user="Webbo118"]

[/quote]  You buy players like Podolski, Moses Schurrle and Aguero who can either play equally well or better wide or behind the striker than as a lonely 9.

I can be clueless and only preach for my own opinion, but most of managers seem to support my opinion was it for same reasons or not.[/quote]
And we don''t have any wingers who can play as a lone forward so your point is mute. We need two strikers because we don''t have players like Zaha or Walcott who can play through the middle.
That''s exactly why we need two strikers. If one of them can play out wide or behind the strikers then great, but as things stand we just don''t have wingers who can play up front.