Sign in to follow this  
eric llamaman

VIEWS ON CANARIES WORLD???

I don''t live in Norwich so I signed up to get the match commentary really. The highlights are good for me too cos I wouldn''t get to see the goals otherwise. You also get weekly highlights of all the div one games. As for the news clips there tends to be a new report put on each day that lasts 5-10 mins. These include interviews etc for both post match and for pre match build up. They''re quite good but don''t tend to tell you much more than you read on the the official site and this site. Its nice to hear the players and worthy speak though. The match live console is quite good too. It shows the team lineups, match stats, all the scores from other matches and goalflashes.

For me its well worth it but not sure I''d bother if I lived in Norfolk. Btw the video clips seem crap on a 40k connection.

Probably worth considering a 6 month subscription to see if you like it. That would only be £20.

Hope that helps.

It depends what other access to highlights you have - i.e. Sky sports etc. When I was living out of the Anglia area and didn''t have Sky, I couldn''t even see the Norwich goals on Soccer Sunday (as it''s a regional program). In this scenario the video clips are worth it because ones only other option is to watch Nationwide League Extra at 1 in the morning on a Tuesday (?). The clips aren''t of a very good quality and the company behind the setup makes it very very difficult to save the clips to your hard drive (although it can be done). This has all sorts of streaming issues unless you have a very speedy connection.

What used to make it worthwhile for me was the BBC Norfolk radio coverage, however, now I''m back in good old Norfolk it''s not an issue. So, all that said (rather badly) If you live in Norfolk and have Sky Sports I couldn''t in good faith recommend it.

There are interviews and features which need to be taken into account, but the information is always available on the Pink ''Un albeit in text format.

Hope that lot helps, but it''s purely subjective and I''m sure others will present the argument it in a more appealing light.

I have signed up for the commentary only...which is top class. LIVE action for every Norwich match and hundreds of other LIVE matches to listen to as well.

As for the video clips, interviews etc, I don''t personally think it is worth the money, especially if you can watch the goals straight away on Sky Sports News. I had to wait for ages on a Broadband 128k connection just to watch an interview that was poor visual quality.

The commentary will be all you need mate.

Even though it means a 2a.m start on Sunday mornings down here in Australia to hear the audio commentary on canaries world match live. It is well worth it and brings we exiles very close to home.

I use it primarily for the match commentary along with others. I only wish the quallity of the
video clips were a bit better. I assume they are encoded DV, but I wonder why they dont use Quicktime instead of Windoze Media Player. I understand compression is a concern but most people are using broadband anyway. Oo its all gone technical! Might stop the annoying high pitch sounds in the background which sound like a thousand chattering elves on helium. Or something like that...

Just remember that when City go up to the premier league they can''t show match highlights on canaries world as primuimtv only have the rights to nationwide football and we won''t be a part of that next year

ON THE BALL CITY

Worth it if you don''t have access to highlights/commentary from anywhere else. The video is indeed a bit pants, but you get the general picture. I always download them to my hard disk first rather than streaming them. I only have a dial up connection, so the streaming is unwatchable. It''s easy to save to hard disk; simply right click on the ''download 300k clip'' option (remembering to hit the stop button in your browser to prevent it from streaming while you are downloading) and select ''Save as...'' from the resulting menu. They wouldn''t provide this option if it were not legal to do do so. The audio commentary may have its detractors, but is far better than nothing; especially awaiting score updates on Ceefax!

I know they have to cater for pay-as-you-go dial-up users, but even the broadband download is dodgy quality. It would be great if they could also provide a futher option to download a much larger, better-quality clip (say, 20 megs), as I would be more than happy to leave it downloading for an hour or so for each clip (as I''m on an unmetered package) for the sake of a more watchable video.

In answer to the question though, yes I would say the asking price is worth it if you don''t have access to the features elsewhere. Go for it.