Sign in to follow this  
Bobert

What the book makers think!

Last year at this time I got 7/1 on Norwich finishing in the top ten. I lost of course as Norwich finished 11th. This year the offer last week was 7/2 so it seems to me that the bookies are pretty certain we are going to stay up.

If you feel that the usual crop are going to be in the top seven i,e. Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham, Everton and Livepool for me to win anything there are only three places, I suspect those are going to be filled by Fulham, Swansea and ourselves but there is not much room for error.

I think I will stop out of the betting this year! 

Did you not check relegation odds?

Last time I saw them mentioned (yesterday) we were still 4th faves to go down...

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]5/2 fourth favourites to go down according to a post I just saw on Wrath.[/quote]Sometimes I think we could sign RVP to play alongside RVW, with the likes of Xavi and Iniesta running the midfield and we''d STILL be seen as relegation candidates for some bookies...RVW and Fer are excellent signings, who along with players like Redmond and Olsson give us a much stronger team than we had the last 2 seasons, and it''s STILL not enough for these clowns...Ridiculous how poorly we are viewed at times.

Sorry to have the "how odds are generated" debate again but are they not purely based on the money people are putting on?

Therefore there is a fair amount of betting on us to be relegated by the average punter who is probably no more of a football expert than any on here. It means nothing.

"this year the offer last week was 7/2 so it seems to me that the bookies are pretty certain we are going to stay up."

or in the real world more money so far has been placed on us to finish in the top half than was last seasonThat why they are called bookies - as they balance the book ie the money that has been betOtherwise in your world they would be called the Guessies ..... or they wouldn''t, they would all be bankrupt.

Stan James were offering 2 (evens) for Norwich to finish top 15 this year, a ridiculous price considering it placed us equal to Cardiff. Not surprised they''ve adjusted to 1.73 (8/11) ;)

Btw best price for us to finish top 10 this season is 5/1

[quote user="Monty13"]Sorry to have the "how odds are generated" debate again but are they not purely based on the money people are putting on?

Therefore there is a fair amount of betting on us to be relegated by the average punter who is probably no more of a football expert than any on here. It means nothing.[/quote]

Unfortunately there are still those on here (the not too bright) who will constantly bleat out ''the bookies must know something'' just as they did with Ruddy joining Chelsea and Redknapp joining the paupers.And as more of the dimwits bet on what they see is the bookies cutting the odds, so the odds are cut ..... so the dimwits over excite themselves in their stupidity that the ''bookies must know something'' ....etc etcAlmost as profitable as religion. There you don''t get to see the results of your bet, you are dead.

I refuse to bet on Norwich, only other teams. Didn''t bet on the bottom 3 last season but called it right in fishermens bets.

What has annoyed me past two seasons in paranoid friends saying "We ARE going down..." with 10 games to go and I will always say to them if they are that confident to put money on and get something out of it - they refuse to. ie refuse to put their money where their mouth is. Lack of faith when the going gets tough - just known there had been far worse teams around and believe the final 3 this season could be an easy scoop

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]5/2 fourth favourites to go down according to a post I just saw on Wrath.[/quote]

Visit Betfair and lay this for every penny that you can afford.

Teams that I expect us to finnish below :

Chels

Man U

Man C

Arse

Spurs

Liv

Eve

Swansea

Fulham

I think this season as I think the last few weeks proved there are they was a few teams us included in a large group of teams that all could have claimed the final relegation spot. This year I think 4 teams may fall adrift and we will finish 10th or 11th but allot more comfortably than last season seeing 1 or teams struggle with the new boys but not us at all.

[quote user="Monty13"]Sorry to have the "how odds are generated" debate again but are they not purely based on the money people are putting on?

Therefore there is a fair amount of betting on us to be relegated by the average punter who is probably no more of a football expert than any on here. It means nothing.[/quote]

No course not, you think the odds would change if you walked into William Hill and put £1,000,000 on NCFC to win the league. They would thank you very much for your hard earned cash and keep them at 5000/1

This market cannot be affected by any inside knowledge. All transfer deals and take overs are done in the open, so its not like Hull can suddenly sign 20 World Class players with out anyone knowing while the bookies are laying 10,000/1 on them winning the league.

Also its a 38 game market, should the unthinkable happen and City win the first 10 games, William Hill can start laying the bet off with other firms.

Likewise the relegation market, should a punter want a sizeable amount on Man Utd to be relegated the odds wouldnt change, it is no more likely to happen because someones backed it.

However in Horse Racing this is totally different, the market is seriously affected by punters money. Experts set an opening price but prices will change all day and right upto the off.

City 1st - said, re the profitability of Religion, ''There you don''t get to see the results of your bet, you are dead''

Now THAT is worth a whole new thread, all by itself, but I would predict it would get deleted before it reached page 4.

[quote user="crabbycanary"]City 1st - said, re the profitability of Religion, ''There you don''t get to see the results of your bet, you are dead''

Now THAT is worth a whole new thread, all by itself, but I would predict it would get deleted before it reached page 4.[/quote]

I bet it wouldn''t