Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Raccoon

Given a choice?

Benteke v Rooney. Both valued at £25mil - if we had the money, who would you buy out of the two?

Personally, can see Benteke going for £20m to a one of the Champions League bidders.

On my original question, I''d take Rooney.

Considering Rooney is on over two hundred grand a week, we would need to get Rooney on a free transfer to get him for £25m and that would be on a two and half year contract. 
I wish people would take wages into consideration when comparing transfer fees / values. If Benteke takes £50k a week, and Rooney wants £250k a week, and the transfer fee was £25m for each transfer then one of those transfers would have a true cost of somewhere in the region of £33m for a three year deal and the other would have a true value of somewhere in the region of £64m for a three year deal. 
We can only have a proper discussion if using figures which give a true indication of the likely cost of each of the players. My answer, if those wages proved accurate, would be 22 year old Benteke.

It''d depend on the situation, but i''d be more inclined to go for Rooney if i was Barcelona and had money to burn.

Rooney is a fantastic player but his best days are behind him. He was totally outclassed by RVP last season. Benteke would be my choice only because he could offer more long term.

[quote user="Marc Libbras haircut"]Benteke because Wayne Rooney is one of the most overrated players of all time.[/quote]

That is a good point to be fair, he is quite overrated.

Baffling really how he has played 400 games for Man Utd, scored 200 goals for them, won the Premier League (five times) and the Champions League.

Not to mention playing 83 games for England and scoring 36 goals.

[quote user="Brightside"]Rooney is a fantastic player but his best days are behind him. He was totally outclassed by RVP last season. Benteke would be my choice only because he could offer more long term.[/quote]

Why? Because RVP scored more goals?

Rooney''s never been an out and out striker. His best position is just off the striker, he will go on to be a very good centre midfielder, much like Scholes

[quote user="ITK Twitterer"]NewBoy, it is simply a "What if", not a genuine transfer target. More who is worth their transfer fee the most.[/quote]I think the point is that looking at transfer fees alone is incredibly simplistic.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Marc Libbras haircut"]Benteke because Wayne Rooney is one of the most overrated players of all time.[/quote]

That is a good point to be fair, he is quite overrated.

Baffling really how he has played 400 games for Man Utd, scored 200 goals for them, won the Premier League (five times) and the Champions League.

Not to mention playing 83 games for England and scoring 36 goals.

[/quote]

It''s curious how such impressive statistics have led to so few memorable performances. Perhaps in some respects Rooney is a flat track bully. He rarely does well when the pressure is on. He will score plenty against low level teams but frequently goes missing for club or country in top matches.

Also, he has been in decline for the last couple of seasons. Early prodigies rarely make veterans.

As for Benteke, lets wait and see. Strikers rarely sustain a good first season. Jelavic and our own dear Grant being good recent examples. Defenders know how to play them and it becomes more difficult. Aso, they are marked men

I think his temperament is suspect. Sent off against Chelsea and should have been against us. He was getting frustrated because defenders were giving him a hard time. Can he hack it when the pressure is really on?

No he doesn''t go missing for country, he plays in a very average side and is always one of the better players in it.

I love it when people call Rooney overrated.

Can only assume they''ve never actually seen him play and just look at his goal scoring stats, which may not be world class for an out and out striker, but for a player who spends less time in the box than Holt they are very good.

It''s just like the people who say Messi has it easy because Xavi and Iniesta put it on a plate for him, when in fact goals assisted by them are very low and Messi also out-assists both of them.

I''d take Rooney, much better all round player, he is class. As I''m sure he''s working towards playing CM which will give him another 3/4 years being a top player.

I think when people say he is overrated, it''s in relation to the media hysteria from when he first arrived on the scene, terms were being thrown around like "World Class", "Next Pele", "Best English player in the last 30 years" etc etc.

What he is is a very good footballer. What he isn''t is the greatest player of his generation, an idea that many seemed to buy into.

[quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="Brightside"]Rooney is a fantastic player but his best days are behind him. He was totally outclassed by RVP last season. Benteke would be my choice only because he could offer more long term.[/quote]

Rooney''s never been an out and out striker. His best position is just off the striker, he will go on to be a very good centre midfielder, much like Scholes[/quote]

Yes because as a striker your role is to score goals and as RVP scored more than double the goals Rooney scored then based on being a striker then he clearly outclassed him.

I agree however that in an AM position Rooney would be awesome.

[quote user="CDMullins"]No he doesn''t go missing for country, he plays in a very average side and is always one of the better players in it.[/quote]

does well for Man yoo, not sure I agree with the above.

England pin all their hopes on Rooney, yes scoring against Andorra, San Marino and Lichtenstein in qualifying is what he is there to do, but 1 goal in the last 8 years at international tournaments, red card vs Russia, Red card vs Portugal, Rooney has time and time again let England down. A Brave manager would leave him at home at the world cup... but then somethign tells me 22 English players might be at home next summer.

[quote user="Brightside"][quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="Brightside"]Rooney is a fantastic player but his best days are behind him. He was totally outclassed by RVP last season. Benteke would be my choice only because he could offer more long term.[/quote]

Rooney''s never been an out and out striker. His best position is just off the striker, he will go on to be a very good centre midfielder, much like Scholes[/quote]

Yes because as a striker your role is to score goals and as RVP scored more than double the goals Rooney scored then based on being a striker then he clearly outclassed him.

I agree however that in an AM position Rooney would be awesome.[/quote]

Rooney''s not a striker though!!

And been ''outclassed'' by RVP is hardly something to be ashamed of.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="CDMullins"]No he doesn''t go missing for country, he plays in a very average side and is always one of the better players in it.[/quote]

does well for Man yoo, not sure I agree with the above.

England pin all their hopes on Rooney, yes scoring against Andorra, San Marino and Lichtenstein in qualifying is what he is there to do, but 1 goal in the last 8 years at international tournaments, red card vs Russia, Red card vs Portugal, Rooney has time and time again let England down. A Brave manager would leave him at home at the world cup... but then somethign tells me 22 English players might be at home next summer.

[/quote]

Its not Rooney''s fault the nation ''pin their hopes on him''

If you were to leave him at home, who the hell would you take? Already embarrassing enough that the likes of Carroll and Welbeck are pullling on that white shirt.

Probably one of the most passionate players to play for England in this era and always puts a shift in for his country.

Benteke vs Rooney?

Rooney every time. Love him or loath him even at 75% he''s world class. It just a shame he still isn''t fulfilling his potential, at a 100% he''d be unstoppable. Maybe it''s his low intelligence or his seeming feelings of persecution, but he never seems to do as much as he can, especially for England.

Benteke has had one awesome season, but Rooney has the experience plus more ability and is in his prime.