Sign in to follow this  
zemas tendon

Gunn Club

The Gunn Club should be re-named now, i was more thinking along the lines of HOLT this would have more of a connection with fans from North Norfolk and bring a fresh new vibrance to it!!

Bryan Gunn will always have a place in the hearts of all (ok most) true Norwich fans.   There are other heroes/legends but Gunny is one of the all time best of them.    Some may not remember why, but then they should look into the history of the club to find out.    There is a reason he has a club named  after him.  A great player, adopted the club and the area, a true fan of Norwich and he sat and mixed  with ordinary fans every week.  The Gunn Club it is and the  Gunn Club it should remain. 

Agree with LDC. I thought the club were looking at rebranding else revamping the Gunn Club? Maybe they see its current ''concept'' as being too homely and cosy for the current status and ambitions of the club, not the right brand anymore? Or perhaps they just fancy a change? Don''t see the need for either, but, whatever they do, the name should remain.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Bryan Gunn will always have a place in the hearts of all (ok most) true Norwich fans.   There are other heroes/legends but Gunny is one of the all time best of them.    Some may not remember why, but then they should look into the history of the club to find out.    There is a reason he has a club named  after him.  A great player, adopted the club and the area, a true fan of Norwich and he sat and mixed  with ordinary fans every week.  The Gunn Club it is and the  Gunn Club it should remain. 

[/quote]

Was Bryan Gunn a great keeper... Sadly No, yes he had the odd great game, but dont most keepers, unless your name is Simon Tracey, but even he had great games for Sheff Utd!!

So i think the club should make a refreshing change!!

You could rename the Barclay "The Holt End"

Pardon?   No need to react like that I''m only making a suggestion!

[quote user="zemas tendon"]

[quote user="lake district canary"]Bryan Gunn will always have a place in the hearts of all (ok most) true Norwich fans.   There are other heroes/legends but Gunny is one of the all time best of them.    Some may not remember why, but then they should look into the history of the club to find out.    There is a reason he has a club named  after him.  A great player, adopted the club and the area, a true fan of Norwich and he sat and mixed  with ordinary fans every week.  The Gunn Club it is and the  Gunn Club it should remain.  [/quote]

Was Bryan Gunn a great keeper... Sadly No, yes he had the odd great game, but dont most keepers, unless your name is Simon Tracey, but even he had great games for Sheff Utd!!

[/quote]

Well, I think you can safely say that he is one of a line of great keepers we have had over the years.    He was a fixture in the team for many years which coincided with our best ever time at the club during the early nineties.    Simply fantastic both as a goalkeeper and a personality within the club.  You might not think he was a great keeper, but to me he is up there with Keelan and Woods, no bother. 

Gunn was and still is a City legend both in to club history and history of the city and county, the 2 cannot be compared despite Holts valuable contributions overs 4 seasons. The only sadness is the way it ended for Gunn

[quote user="lake district canary"]Bryan Gunn will always have a place in the hearts of all (ok most) true Norwich fans.   There are other heroes/legends but Gunny is one of the all time best of them.    Some may not remember why, but then they should look into the history of the club to find out.    There is a reason he has a club named  after him.  A great player, adopted the club and the area, a true fan of Norwich and he sat and mixed  with ordinary fans every week.  The Gunn Club it is and the  Gunn Club it should remain. 

[/quote]

Here here LDC. Very well said. And, of course, he was the manager who brought in Holt. As a compromise, I suppose the Barclay could be renamed the Holt End.

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Gunn was and still is a City legend both in to club history and history of the city and county, the 2 cannot be compared despite Holts valuable contributions overs 4 seasons. The only sadness is the way it ended for Gunn[/quote]
Actually the way it ended for Gunn was perfectly suitable. He was deluded and poorly informed, probably from years of getting smoke blown up his a@@e by fans and Doomcaster. How arrogant do you have to be to think you were the answer to the teams dreams when he took over. Yes, he was a team member of arguably one of our greatest periods - no more important or less than any of the other members of the squad. His profile was also boosted with the awful situation with Jessica - but I''m sorry, there are loads of fans who have to deal with cancer and leukameia - who don''t get whip rounds from the whole world - they pay their season tickets and their bills and still have to deal with massive problems. For about a decade he hung around the club, doing spurious work from poster hanging, phone answering and general bigging up Doomcaster. No Doomcaster - no Gunn people will remember them both in the Unthank, wildebeest and wherever else,braying and snorting with no care to how they came across. I guarantee you renaming is high on Mcnallys list of things to do - Gunn is arrogant and truly believes he is way better than almost anyone - outside of the NCFC press machine, in real life - he is an obnoxious idiot.

[quote user="Scottlarock"][quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Gunn was and still is a City legend both in to club history and history of the city and county, the 2 cannot be compared despite Holts valuable contributions overs 4 seasons. The only sadness is the way it ended for Gunn[/quote]
Actually the way it ended for Gunn was perfectly suitable. He was deluded and poorly informed, probably from years of getting smoke blown up his a@@e by fans and Doomcaster. How arrogant do you have to be to think you were the answer to the teams dreams when he took over. Yes, he was a team member of arguably one of our greatest periods - no more important or less than any of the other members of the squad. His profile was also boosted with the awful situation with Jessica - but I''m sorry, there are loads of fans who have to deal with cancer and leukameia - who don''t get whip rounds from the whole world - they pay their season tickets and their bills and still have to deal with massive problems. For about a decade he hung around the club, doing spurious work from poster hanging, phone answering and general bigging up Doomcaster. No Doomcaster - no Gunn people will remember them both in the Unthank, wildebeest and wherever else,braying and snorting with no care to how they came across. I guarantee you renaming is high on Mcnallys list of things to do - Gunn is arrogant and truly believes he is way better than almost anyone - outside of the NCFC press machine, in real life - he is an obnoxious idiot.
[/quote]

Not only is this post unpleasant it is inaccurate and wrong on so many levels. It still surprises me how so much drivel is spouted on this MB.

Bryan Gunn the man and Bryan Gunn the player are top men in my book but I think many people on here should remember that Norwich City Football Club was around for about 80 odd years before Bryan Gunn came along and its history is littered with players of a similar magnitude. Kevin Keelan played 673 games a record which surely will never be broken . Duncan Forbes led us to promotion to the top flight for the first time ever. The list is long of wonderful servants to our club but the current regime were quick to dispense with the 59''ers lounge so why keep the Gunn Club in it''s current guise ? I fully understand how the younger generation feel towards Bryan Gunn but as time moves on and they grow old legends not yet born will come along and form part of our history.

Well put Scottlarock,... perhaps we should Name it Darryl Sutch Club, because he too hung around far to long, McNally needs to refresh the Gunn Club, perhaps make it more accessible to the Working Class, Just look at what Newcastle have done to Shearers Bar, that way they could be sitting on another small fortune!!

@ Yorkshire Canary - I totally agree with you.

Gunn, as a player, was a good keeper, just another NCFC player. He stuck around the club, clinging onto any position they would let him have for years, like a parasite.

When he was appointed manager, I laughed. Obnoxious and arrogant are words I would use to describe Gunn, he needed a reality check after becoming manager and that 7-1 surely gave him one. He was way out of his depth. Mentioned Alex Ferguson every interview. When interviewed after our promotion to the Premier League, the ill-informed Radio Norfolk presenter asked Gunn how it felt, as it was mainly his team that got us to the Prem, Gunn accepted the praise here despite Lambert having bought many of his own players. I was stunned by his arrogance to even try to accept any credit for our uprise.

He had little to do with the Holt transfer. Apparently he preferred a 31 year old striker with the surname Bridges (christian name slips my mind). When he didn''t join the club, Gunn was advised to sign Holt by someone outside the club. However, I''m sure Gunn would accept the credit.

McNally saw through him. I''d love one day to know the stories behind the list of reasons released after Gunn''s sacking. I did hear that, as manager, he was an embarrassment, very ill prepared and unprofessional. More concerned with self image than doing the actual job properly.

On his twitter bio it says ''Ex NCFC Manager'' - if it were me, I''d keep that one quiet hoping people might forget.

The open day after our relegation to League 1, Gunn was a disgrace. Getting involved in petty arguments with fans at a fans forum. He was an absolute embarrassment and I was so pleased when he was sacked. The club has never looked back, I''m sure Gunn has though, many times.

When I met Gunn, as a mascot 18 years ago, he didn''t strike me as arrogant. Infact him along with the rest of the players and even O''Neil (who left the day after!) made me feel very welcome and had all the time in the world for me warming up with the players!

The guy is a hero, and even as manager, i''d rather remember him not as the guy who got us relegated, but the guy who got us Grant Holt!

You only have to look at his charity work (not all of it out of self interest) to show what a selfless and caring person he is. Let him keep his club!

Holt should get honoured in another way though although maybe wait until he''s finished playing.

Newcastle United just did the same recently with their "World famous" Shearer''s Bar. Now nothing they do nowadays surprises me but apparently Shearer was absolutely disgusted with the move as he felt it was in direct tit for tat to him saying Pardew''s position had been undermined by Kinnear. They''re now rebranding it to simply "Nine" so it is still an homage but not a direct one to Shearer but to all their "legendary" number nines.

I can''t help but feel that if they just told him that was what they were going to do and it was for the good of the club to rebrand every now and again, he''d have been ok with it.

What''s to stop us rebranding the Gunn Club to "The One Bar" or "Bar One" to pay respect to ALL the great keepers we''ve been lucky to have, rather than just one? Nethercott, Keelan, Woods, Gunn, Green, Ruddy........ Marshall [;)]

Bitter and twisted is how I would describe some of the disparaging comments on here.   The subject of Gunn always attracts these kind of comments.  But they are always over the top, unbalanced and inaccurate.  The truth is out there, he was a great servant for the club, hence having the gunn club named after him.  He tried to manage the club he loves - who wouldn''t if they were given the opportunity.  It may have been a mistake, but the long term vilification of him by some fans is to reflect only on the last part of his career here - as I say - unbalanced and unnecessary. 

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]I wouldn''t say I''m bitter and twisted. I''d just call it having an opinion. Speak as you find.[/quote]Its fine having an opinion, no problem, but terms like "obnoxious idiot"  show where some people are coming from.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Bitter and twisted is how I would describe some of the disparaging comments on here.   The subject of Gunn always attracts these kind of comments.  But they are always over the top, unbalanced and inaccurate.  The truth is out there, he was a great servant for the club, hence having the gunn club named after him.  He tried to manage the club he loves - who wouldn''t if they were given the opportunity.  It may have been a mistake, but the long term vilification of him by some fans is to reflect only on the last part of his career here - as I say - unbalanced and unnecessary. 

[/quote]
........thank you for your comments. I can only direct you to your signature, where you mention the truth hurts - and as you say in your post also ''the truth is out there''. You are correct - it''s in my post. I knew BG before I worked for the club, during and after. Before working for the club I knew BG and Sue as very regular customers and friends - in fact I had Angus in my arms a few weeks after he was born. 
So yeah.....the truth. Between his playing retirement and his sacking - BG was no saint....in fact you accuse me of being unbalanced and unnecessary. To be fair I could be a lot more FRANK. You''ll probably just Snort! in derision.
....as for your comments on him becoming a manager ''may have been a mistake''
             1. If you loved your club, you would be honest and think there could be someone better. He was Doomcasters best buddie, that''s why he took it.
             2. You really think Munby talking to Daryl Russell in the shower room after a game is the way to appoint a manager in the professional game? 
Thank you LDC - the truth is out there - miles away from you though it seems.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Row D Seat 7"]I wouldn''t say I''m bitter and twisted. I''d just call it having an opinion. Speak as you find.[/quote]Its fine having an opinion, no problem, but terms like "obnoxious idiot"  show where some people are coming from.

[/quote]
...yeah, a position of knowledge and experience.........you must''ve bumped into him a lot back in the day.......in Cumbria!?!?!

Row D, you have clearly never met Mr Gunn have you! Genuinely fantastic bloke. Generous, honest, humble, reliable and, perhaps most importantly of all, he bleeds yellow and green. He also WAS a great ''keeper. I''m not suggesting we haven''t had other great ''keepers, but Gunn was a class act. He kept us in so many games and was so vital that one half a season long injury led to our relegation from the Premier League. 

The fact also remains that he took on various roles at this club rather than more lucrative positions, such as the one he finds himself in now. He did that because he was asked to, he never forced himself upon anyone.

All I can say is you MUST be an Ipswich fan! 

[quote user="Scottlarock"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Row D Seat 7"]I wouldn''t say I''m bitter and twisted. I''d just call it having an opinion. Speak as you find.[/quote] Its fine having an opinion, no problem, but terms like "obnoxious idiot"  show where some people are coming from.[/quote]
...yeah, a position of knowledge and experience.........you must''ve bumped into him a lot back in the day.......in Cumbria!?!?!
[/quote]

I don''t know your connection with BG or NCFC, but whatever, you come across as being very bitter, that is all.   A for me living in Cumbria, I haven''t always lived here, born and bred in Norfolk -  and wherever I have lived I have supported and followed the club - all over the country.   So your "close" connection to the club has led to bitterness (apparently), whereas  my close following of the club - and yes I have met BG too, as well as some of the other ex-players - has led me to value BG as much as anyone I have met or know of  in connection with the club.

[quote user="zemas tendon"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

something tells me you aren''t old enough to have seen him play....

[quote user="Scottlarock"][quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Gunn was and still is a City legend both in to club history and history of the city and county, the 2 cannot be compared despite Holts valuable contributions overs 4 seasons. The only sadness is the way it ended for Gunn[/quote]
[/quote]

Jessica? I thought you knew him, James - his daughters name was Francesca was it not?

Can only speak from personal experience but the man I met several times as a teenager was a lovely bloke with all the time in the world for me - definitely wasn''t up his own @rse or obnoxious. Management didn''t work out, but I''m not going to hate him for it - far from it, very happy memories of him (Jerry Goss - top bloke also!)

[/quote]

if you knew the Gunn''s so well then maybe you''d have known it was Francesca... not Jessica..... but lets not let that get in the way of a bitter mans rant and all the work Gunn has done to help children with Leukemia locally shall we?

something tells me we need to read between the lines as to why you are so bitter.. a hanger on? someone who thought he should have had more out of being a friend to the stars?

How is life today on planet Zog LDC ?

You start numerous threads giving your slant or opinion on everything which is fine but when anybody does not agree with your take on things or posts an alternative view you then bang on and on and on and on for page after page after page trying to convince us all that you are always right and everybody has got it wrong.

It has to be your way or no way over everything on here and quite frankly whilst appreciating that we all have our faults you just cannot see yours and are a pain.

Now be a good chap and don''t retort with your usual bullying and victim nonsense just for the once.

Sorry to hijack the thread to those who wish to discuss the merits or otherwise of the Gunn Club.