Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Messiah

The squad on the 17th August...

Goalkeepers: John Ruddy, Mark Bunn, Carlo Nash                                                      

Right Backs: Russell Martin, Steven Whittaker                                  

Centre Backs: Seb Bassong, Michael Turner, Ryan Bennett, Dani Ayala  

Left Backs: Javier Garrido, Martin Olsson                                      

Wingers: Snodgrass, Pilkington, Redmond, Elliot Bennett, Olsson?                                                  

CDM: Leroy Fer, Johnson, Tettey

CAM: Shaun Maloney, Hoolahan, Howson,

Strikers: RVW, Gary Hooper, Alfred Finnbogason, Becchio

IN; Shaun Maloney, Gary Hooper, Alfred FinnbogasonOUT; Andrew Surman, David Fox, Leon Barnett, Jacob Butterfield

Like the look of Finboggason. However his wiki page said he joined Nottingham forest on 10 th July for 6 million.

Can''t be true surely

Not sure why people keep saying Butterfield will leave.

He very much seems in the pre season plans, the club surely wouldn''t waste time and money on someone they will sell

He hasn''t joined Forest but Villa are interested in him, so if we don''t get Hooper I think we should move quickly for Finbogason at least to prevent Lambert getting him.

The interest in the ajax centre half says we want 1 of them so ayala wont get a look in. Ayala and Butterfield will go out on loan. Reckon Surman, Fox, Barnett can probably leave if anyone comes in for them.

Ruddy, Bunn, Nash, Martin, Whittaker, Olsson, Garrido, Bassong, Turner, R.Bennett, NEW CB, E.Bennett, Snodgrass, Pilkington, Redmond, Fer, Johnson, Howson, Tettey, Hoolahan, NEW CAM/STR, Wolfswinkel, Becchio, NEW STR

Most positions have already been sorted and with the squad of 25 in mind as well:

GK is sorted as are both full back areas.

CB: The question is whether we''ll get another CB in and just let both Ayala and Barnett go - the evidence is there that Hughton is at least looking at doing this.

I''m also not sure that Fer would be considered as a defensive midfielder. From what I have seen of him he is much more of a driving midfielder, rangey and a true box to box player. Combative maybe, but I think Hughton will want him to use his ability further up the pitch to help the attack at times.

I would be really, really disappointed if we ended up with Maloney. We have signed players of a higher calibre up until now this summer, I''d see signing him as a real step back from them and I doubt he would add anything to our squad that Snodgrass, Pilkington and Hoolahan don''t already offer. Not to mention Redmond and E.Bennett.

That youtube clip of Finnbogason isn''t that great either. Lots of well taken goals but most of them are tap ins past woeful defending. I want to see a little more variation - how good is he in the air, does he get involved in the build up to attacks etc.

Also, Redmond doesn''t have to be named as one of the 25 due to his age so going by that squad we''d still have one slot free. I think Hughton will probably keep as many bodies as possible this year. There is almost no point in having empty spaces considering you can always leave someone out in January if you sign someone.

I''d like to get a new CB who is comfortable on the ball and can lead the defense if Bassong is not playing such as Alderweireld, but one or two new strikers has to be the priority in my opinion.

So are you saying this is what your squad would be or that what you think it will be?

Going on the sort of rumours we had at the start of the summer of 5-8 new players in and if we take RVW''s talk of two wingers and an AM then lets look at it that way:

RVW being the striker we knew we''d got in spring. Garrido. Arguably both with last seasons dosh but lets ignore that. That would be two down 3-6 to go.

Olsson, Redmond and Fer. Would mean a possible three more.

My guess is that Nash was not included in that as at the time we would have expected Steer to still be here.

So three players say. If the Toby stuff is all true then we were going for a CB.

That would leave two other slots. Going back to RVW and what he said, that would be another winger and another striker.

However I think the goalposts may well have changed since then. For example did Holt indicate that he wanted to leave prior to the end of the season?

It is all very much up in the air. I wouldn''t like to second guess Hughton and what he plans in terms of team line up. It''s possible that he sees Fer as being able to play AM or at the very least more forward thinking/mobile.

Like I said if this is your pick of the last few players then it will prove to be a bit of an anticlimax. Maloney especially.

Hey guys, new to the forum. I''ll hold my hands up, I''m not a Canary, I''m a Gooner, but I have very strong family ties to Norfolk so I have a bit of a soft spot.

I''ve done a short blog post about Fer, The Wolf and the injection of Dutch talent into the squad more generally. Would really appreciate constructive feedback. Hope you like it!

http://playingbetweenthelines.com/2013/07/15/de-kanaries-van-noordvolk/

This is what my squad would look like by the way, I don''t think Maloney is a anticlimax with the knowledge that he scored 6 and provided 9 assists for Wigan last season, his age (30) would be my only concern, there is always the possibility of getting one of Chelsea''s endless supply of young midfielders on loan such as Marco Van Ginkel or Lucas Piazon.

I think with that squad we could make a very strong challenge to finish 8th in the table if you consider that the "big 7" (Man U,Man City,Arsenal,Spurs,Chelsea,Everton,Liverpool) all finish above us.

@Yellow Messiah: Yes he is a huge anticlimax - who would he better in our squad?

Snodgrass - No.

Pilkington - No.

Redmond - you might be trading experience for pace, but I think we need pace more.

Hoolahan - No.

Howson - No.

He''d really be competing directly with Hoolahan and anyone down the left. I just don''t see him being able to push them out of the team that easily, and that is why I say it is an anticlimax.

RVW - Dutch international and highly rated striker. I would like to think he is going to offer us more than Jackson and Morrison have for us in the premiership, possibly more than Becchio and maybe even more than Holt - who knows but that potential is there.

Fer - a fantastic signing, comparing him to anything we have would be unfair, he is a very dynamic midfield player. Again, someone in midfield will be less likely to play due to him coming in, who that will be we don''t know.

Redmond - pacey and very able, we may have to wait a season or two to see consistency that age brings but he can play either flank or in the hole. I see him being used a fair bit, either off the bench or to expose teams which lack pace in defence.

Olsson - young and quick, arguably more attack minded than Garrido. Maybe not better per se but a definite alternative who will push for a starting place anywhere down the left hand side.

Nash is cover, a very underwhelming signing but then you wouldn''t expect someone coming in as a third choice keeper to be fantastic.

Maloney to me would be like Nash. Not because of his age, but because we have two, three or even four players that I would rate as being as good or better than him already.

I haven''t seen any "official sources" linking us to Finnbogason but with Hooper looking like he''s going to QPR, I''d be keen to make a move for him soon, before he is bought by another club.