Sign in to follow this  
ur just a man in a jacket

Celtic fan on Hooper

One of my customers is a Celtic season ticket holder and honestly says we are welcome to him. In his opinion he is a top table championship striker and way overrated.

Seeing him a couple if times in sky last year I did see a player who didn''t have a touch of a ball one game and mom the next.

Personally think there are better signings out there and backed up by a Celtic STH.

Thoughts?

Well I agree with you. There is really nothing that special about him. He isnt that big, he isnt that strong, he isnt fast nor technical, but he is clinical.

In my opinion with 4-5 millions he would be ok option as a second striker and decent player, but would prefer if we get someone with little bit more profilic attributes as our supply line wasnt best previous season so strikers we aim should be able to make few goals on their own.

Anyway I would be moderately happy if we get him.

How do you judge a player who plays in the Scottish league?

He could be a great player but he plays against teams of the quality of Wroxham and Lowestoft each week

Tough call - He could be big...but.... he could be a 5 million flop!

He has a decent shot on him, he''s the kind of player that feeds off of other players working the ball into hos feet for a shot. Can that help us? Yeah, I think so.

His manager hs worked hard to keep him. Think I will take that as a better indicator than a few expert(!) views from the terraces.

Who really cares what a bitter Celtic fan thinks.

Probably only angry because hooper wants out and being from Glasgow had probably been at the scotch sinse 7am

Sign hooper up now.

when we tried to sign him in january, the celtic fans on their forums were saying he was their second greatest player in their entire history behind H. Larson and in a different league to Jelavic. They suggested that he should not be let go for less than £12m.

Hooper then had his head turned. By the end of February they were all saying they should''ve sold him and that he''s not fit to wear the badge and all.

It doesn''t matter what league you play in, if your a good player then you''ll be a good player wherever you go. e.g Wanyama I think is a great signing for the Saints.

In amongst all the Scottish League malarky, lets not forget he was 3rd top scorer in the Championship for an awful Scunthorpe team.

He''s a natural born goalscorer, and could be a very handy player if we go 2 up top, or off the bench if we need a goal, and if RVW gets injured/suspended.

I think he''s worth a go

Never trust the opinions of fans who''s team have sold a player to Norwich. Remember when we brought Johnson and Leed''s fans claimed he was a pub player and nowhere near Premier League quality Or when we brought Howson and many claimed the same thing? What about their ridiculous opinion that Snodgrass couldn''t perform in the Premier League because of his lack of pace? 

[quote user="Billabong"]How do you judge a player who plays in the Scottish league? He could be a great player but he plays against teams of the quality of Wroxham and Lowestoft each week Tough call - He could be big...but.... he could be a 5 million flop![/quote]

I think you may be exagerrating a bit there. I know the SPL is not that great but to compare it with Divisions 7 and 8 of the English system is a bit much.

[quote user="he likes paella "]One of my customers is a Celtic season ticket holder and honestly says we are welcome to him. In his opinion he is a top table championship striker and way overrated. Seeing him a couple if times in sky last year I did see a player who didn''t have a touch of a ball one game and mom the next. Personally think there are better signings out there and backed up by a Celtic STH. Thoughts?[/quote]

I think I would rather rely on the opinion of our Manager. If he wants him, that''s good enough for me.

Gary Lineker & Robbie Keane made great use of their talents which seem fairly similar to Gary Hooper; not the fastest, but they usually managed to be in the right place at the right time and they were absolutely clinical in the six-yard box (Keane still is?). When did Norwich last have a player who plays anything like that way? 

Be great if Hooper can do it for us in the Prem - but his price has to (1) reflect his lack of top-flight experience or (2) demonstrate the buying clubs total belief in the player like Southampton have just done with Wanyama. Option 2 is a scary thought if you ask me - I think McNally would much prefer option 1!

[quote user="Olly"]In amongst all the Scottish League malarky, lets not forget he was 3rd top scorer in the Championship for an awful Scunthorpe team. He''s a natural born goalscorer, and could be a very handy player if we go 2 up top, or off the bench if we need a goal, and if RVW gets injured/suspended. I think he''s worth a go[/quote]

But not for £4mil, as been pointed out before the Scottish league are on a par with Blue Square, Put anyone of those players up there and they would score goals, but who wants to live on the moors and there are plenty, or is it Fells    

Billabong - How do you judge a player who plays in the Scottish league?

How do you judge a player who plays in the Portugese League and the Dutch League?

[quote user="pete_norw"]

[quote user="Olly"]In amongst all the Scottish League malarky, lets not forget he was 3rd top scorer in the Championship for an awful Scunthorpe team. He''s a natural born goalscorer, and could be a very handy player if we go 2 up top, or off the bench if we need a goal, and if RVW gets injured/suspended. I think he''s worth a go[/quote]

But not for £4mil, as been pointed out before the Scottish league are on a par with Blue Square, Put anyone of those players up there and they would score goals, but who wants to live on the moors and there are plenty, or is it Fells    

[/quote]

The SPL is not on a par with the Blue Square. That is a ridiculous statement.

How can people even think the SPL is on par with the Blue Square?

Celtic would do fairly good in the Premier League, once upon a time so could Rangers, Hearts and Aberdeen.

The majority of teams would be mid-Championship level to low League One level.

[quote user="junojrs"]How can people even think the SPL is on par with the Blue Square?

Celtic would do fairly good in the Premier League, once upon a time so could Rangers, Hearts and Aberdeen.

The majority of teams would be mid-Championship level to low League One level.[/quote]

No chance, Celtic and Rangers would be mid Championship teams no more.

Celtic wouldn''t. Celtic would survive in the Premier League no issue. They have a really good quality squad with the minuscule amount of money they make from TV privileges, now imagine them on Premier League money.

Rangers nowadays wouldn''t survive the Championship, and that''s because they''re not the team they once were. Back in the days when the SPL was more competitive, they were a BPL level team. Aberdeen and Hearts, who often competed for a top 3 finish, would albeit struggle in the Prem but again, with Premier League money, would improve.

But regardless, Celtic are currently the only Scottish team who would manage to cope with the Premier League. I don''t see how you can argue any other way.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]He wouldn''t be top of my wishlist as a striker, that''s for sure.  I don''t see what all the fuss is about TBH.[/quote]I whole heartedly agree and I think that whilst he has that natural "nack" of being in the right place at the right time, he just doesn''t tick all the boxes or enough of them and I think he would find chances very hard to come by in the prem. He wont have the space, freedom or time on the ball afforded atm. When he gets the ball he is clinical indeed, but I dn''t think he would manage that often in the prem. I saw him in the champions league a few times last season and I actually wasn''t aware he was on the pitch v Juventus until around 35 minutes when he got caught offfside.....

Lennon put a request to the board to break wage structures to keep hold of him... I think that''s all the indication you need on how good a player he is.

Would love to see him here, potential England International(?), but most definitely potential crowd favourite.

4 Million would be a good price for both clubs i feel.

[quote user="Skijumptoes"]Lennon put a request to the board to break wage structures to keep hold of him... I think that''s all the indication you need on how good a player he is.

Would love to see him here, potential England International(?), but most definitely potential crowd favourite.

4 Million would be a good price for both clubs i feel.[/quote]One man''s treasure is another mans rubbish. He is a huge part of what celtic do, but he wouldn''t be the same for us...

Celtic wouldn''t. Celtic would survive in the Premier League no issue. They have a really good quality squad with the minuscule amount of money they make from TV privileges, now imagine them on Premier League money.

This as nothing to do with it, Crawley Town ''could'' survive with Premier League TV money. We can only base it on what they have now.

Both Celtic and Rangers agreed to join The Championship. They were also told none of them could go up in the first season or second season, and that only one could go up in the third season.

Do you really think they''d agree to this if they thought they should genuinely be playing in the Premier League?

Middlesbrough must have bought a fair few of Celtic''s better players including the Top Scorer, and they were terrible in the Championship.

No players have made any sort of impact that have moved from the SPL to PL. Jelavic did ok, but asoon gone well off the boil.

If you think Celtic could be mid table competing against us, WBA, Swansea, Newcastle, Fulham, Villa, even QPR, Wigan and Reading, then you are deluded.

For me, we should look at the case of Leigh Griffiths. He outshone Hooper in the second half of last season and will be heading back to Wolves in League 1 for next season. That is the general level of the SPL. Hooper did well for Scunny and has done well at Celtic, that leaves him completely unproven at (close to) premiership level. Difference with RVW is that he has played in Holland and Portugal for relatively strong sides. We know how good the Dutch and Portuguese sides are from european competition. Last season Hooper was playing for the only side in Scotland who are anywhere near that good!! All the opposition were League 1 standard at best. Hooper is Lineker-esque fox-in-the-box type. I''m not sure what that brings to us at this moment in time.

Of course, if he signs I hope i''m wrong and will back him all the way. I just see no evidence to suggest he would be any more effective than Becchio. If the reports are to be believed, and we are refusing to go over £4m then I would say that''s a very sensible move by the board. 

I have many Celtic mates who would say different maybe your guy is just a little bitter. Personally would love him here, i have said before nobody is a guaranteed success not even RVW Everyone seems prepared to give him a fair go, Hooper seems to know where the net is, the goal is the same size in all football and good movement and positioning will even beat top defenders, i am confident he would step up.

As a Celtic fan I will be really sad to see Hooper go. His ability to score goals will be something we will miss and must replace. I did think he would have stayed until the Champions League qualifiers were over but it looks like he will be away in the next few days. All the talk is it''s either Norwich or QPR, and if he is leaving to further his career or get the England call up many believe he deserves then for me there is only one place he should be and that is the EPL. Whether or not his head is turned by the money at QPR, I don''t know, but I would rather see him at Norwich.As for the mid table Championship nonsense, do you think many mid table Championship team would have beat Barcelona, Benfica or Spartak Moscow last season?

Hooper did well for Scunny and has done well at Celtic, that leaves him completely unproven at (close to) premiership level.

Perhaps you could let us all know what the other GH achieved in the Premiership before he joined us.

[quote user="Webbo118"]

Hooper did well for Scunny and has done well at Celtic, that leaves him completely unproven at (close to) premiership level.

Perhaps you could let us all know what the other GH achieved in the Premiership before he joined us.

[/quote]Done well in the Champions League which is higher than most EPL teams.Was injured for the home games against Benfica & Barcelona.Played well in the Nou Camp where we lost a last minute goal to lose 2-1.Scored home and away against Spartak Moscow.

[quote user="Paul_CFC"]As a Celtic fan I will be really sad to see Hooper go. His ability to score goals will be something we will miss and must replace. I did think he would have stayed until the Champions League qualifiers were over but it looks like he will be away in the next few days. All the talk is it''s either Norwich or QPR, and if he is leaving to further his career or get the England call up many believe he deserves then for me there is only one place he should be and that is the EPL. Whether or not his head is turned by the money at QPR, I don''t know, but I would rather see him at Norwich.As for the mid table Championship nonsense, do you think many mid table Championship team would have beat Barcelona, Benfica or Spartak Moscow last season? [/quote]

Do you think the rest of the SPL would have beaten those sides? I think the majority of what''s being said is about the standard of the teams he is scoring his goals against. He scored 19 league goals last season against the likes of Hibs, Inverness and Ross County. Why should we expect him to repeat the feat against the likes of Villa, Newcastle, Everton etc? He was outscored by Higdon, Griffiths, McGinn and McKay despite getting the best service of the lot from the best players in Scotland. I just don''t understand the hype!!