Sign in to follow this  
The ghost of Michael Theoklitos

I'm never in the know, however...

Anyone that has read my posts over the years knows that I''m one to have a go at people for posting rumors claiming to have inside information. I''m always one for the first to call bulls**t - as they say, never bulls**t a bulls**ter. Also, I don''t know anyone even remotely connected to the club.Or so I thought.I just happened to find myself at a BBQ yesterday evening, and there was someone I now know is connected to the scouting network at Carow Road. Now, he didn''t give me any specific information about names, targets or anything. However he did throw a few little bits at me. This is what I was told;1) Most of the scouts don''t rate Hooper that highly. Don''t expect too much of an effort to sign him.2) A central defender is still very high on the priority list. He claimed it was paramount they had another quality centre-half before the start of the season.Not too juicy. Not too specific. But, it was fun to have a conversation with someone connected to the club, and I thought I''d post it on here. If I''m ridiculed in the process for being a bit of a hypocrite, then I probably asked for it.

I don''t doubt what you heard, but given the club tried pretty hard to sign Hooper in January and are apparently still trying some six months later, I''m not sure the club''s actions are aligned to your informant''s words.

''Without sounding rude, there''s nothing there that isn''t obvious''

Given that we have four centre backs, it wasn''t obvious to me that it''s imperative that we get another one!

It always amuses me that people''s lives are so hollow that they make this stuff up just to get some attention. Fascinating stuff if u r a studier of human behaviour

If most of the scouts are not too impressed by Hooper, then presumably our efforts earlier in the year were in desperation, or else because CH values the striker more highly. I wonder if reported present attempts to sign him originate from a single enquiry and then leaks and rumours to raise as much money as possible for Celtic.

Surely our interest is reduced, if not eliminated, by the signing of RvW, and the only interest in Hooper was the thought that we could sign him relatively cheaply.

I agree that a central defender has to be a priority. I am aware that we have three and a half (Martin may be needed at RB), but as others have pointed out RB is not yet the finished article, and the defence leaks when Bassong isn''t playing. We really do need a good quality CB.

[quote user="Canaries Utd"][quote user="Alfie54"]''Without sounding rude, there''s nothing there that isn''t obvious''

Given that we have four centre backs, it wasn''t obvious to me that it''s imperative that we get another one![/quote]....Toby Alderweireld[/quote]Yeah, but until yesterday I just assumed that Alderweireld was just an opportunistic ''nice to have'' rather than a top priority, seeing as though every other linked player has been either a midfielder, or an attacking type player.

Given the disclaimeers in the OP, this isn''t just another ITK attempt, IMO. Just a statement of what was said at the BBQ. I don''t see why TGoMT shoud be rubbished for simply providing the information.

Thanks for the info.

In my opinion this kind of information is better than more concrete as those are almost always lies.

Even if not that groundbreaking these give some information which news to look at and what we are trying to build.

This time it confirms, if scout was right, what some of us thought that Hooper is merely considered as squad player if we get him and that we are looking improvement for centre backs.

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"][quote user="Canaries Utd"][quote user="Alfie54"]''Without sounding rude, there''s nothing there that isn''t obvious''

Given that we have four centre backs, it wasn''t obvious to me that it''s imperative that we get another one![/quote]....Toby Alderweireld[/quote]Yeah, but until yesterday I just assumed that Alderweireld was just an opportunistic ''nice to have'' rather than a top priority, seeing as though every other linked player has been either a midfielder, or an attacking type player.[/quote].... Cheikhou Kouyate [;)]

[quote user="Canaries Utd"][quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"][quote user="Canaries Utd"][quote user="Alfie54"]''Without sounding rude, there''s nothing there that isn''t obvious''

Given that we have four centre backs, it wasn''t obvious to me that it''s imperative that we get another one![/quote]....Toby Alderweireld[/quote]Yeah, but until yesterday I just assumed that Alderweireld was just an opportunistic ''nice to have'' rather than a top priority, seeing as though every other linked player has been either a midfielder, or an attacking type player.[/quote].... Cheikhou Kouyate [;)][/quote]A name I didn''t even know existed until this morning...OK. Well played. You''re way smarter than I am. You''re amazing.

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"][quote user="Canaries Utd"][quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"][quote user="Canaries Utd"][quote user="Alfie54"]''Without sounding rude, there''s nothing there that isn''t obvious''

Given that we have four centre backs, it wasn''t obvious to me that it''s imperative that we get another one![/quote]....Toby Alderweireld[/quote]Yeah, but until yesterday I just assumed that Alderweireld was just an opportunistic ''nice to have'' rather than a top priority, seeing as though every other linked player has been either a midfielder, or an attacking type player.[/quote].... Cheikhou Kouyate [;)][/quote]A name I didn''t even know existed until this morning...OK. Well played. You''re way smarter than I am. You''re amazing.[/quote]I know, i get told everyday.

[quote user="Alfie54"]''Without sounding rude, there''s nothing there that isn''t obvious'' Given that we have four centre backs, it wasn''t obvious to me that it''s imperative that we get another one![/quote]

I must admit, I''m a little worried about CB after hearing Seb and Turner haven''t travelled to the US as they are still getting over last seasons niggles. Between the 2 of them they seem to spend a lot of time with niggles and not playing at 100%. I think if they were super fit guys who had a good chance of seeing out a full season in top condition then great, but neither seem to fit the bill...

Interesting - at least it is better than some of the stuff that Twitter has thrown up. I do feel if Hughton didn''t rate Hooper, then we wouldn''t be wasting manhours at this time of the year

I think if we want him, Hooper is ours for £5m, the problem is we might be able to do better but don''t want to end up doing worse.

Of course we need another centre back.Martin is not a first team regular if we are to step up a level next season.That leaves Turner and Bassong, both of which are currently not apparently yet recovered from injury.We need three nailed down central defenders at least, which means another must come in.

I agree that it would be good to have another centre back, my point was that it was the first time I had heard the word imperative used for this position