Sign in to follow this  
ReadingCanary

FA Cup Back on the BBC

"Delighted to announce that the oldest, most famous and loved domestic

cup competition in the world, the FA Cup is back on the BBC."- Gary Lineker No More Terrible ITV Coverage. Brilliant Stuff.

Great news. We now have some Premier League games on BT Vision, some FA Cup games on BBC, and I don''t have to give Murdoch a penny. 

Do any pundits get a good review?

I guess Lineker does well, Hansen is a mixed bag, G Nev gets good reviews (i can''t believe some people who moan about him, agreed he''s not a commentator "ooooooooh, Torres", but as a post match analyst, I''ve never seen better).

I like Jake Humphrey as a presenter, so looking forward to that on BT sport.

Neville clearly does his homework before every game and his punditry is world class. Most of the Sky Team are decent but even they have the odd bad apple.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Do any pundits get a good review?

I guess Lineker does well, Hansen is a mixed bag, G Nev gets good reviews (i can''t believe some people who moan about him, agreed he''s not a commentator "ooooooooh, Torres", but as a post match analyst, I''ve never seen better).

I like Jake Humphrey as a presenter, so looking forward to that on BT sport.[/quote]
One pundit I was very impressed with was Gianluca Vialli, who the BBC brought on for the confederations cup coverage. He seemed to have a very good understanding of tactics and made his points very eloquently. Both of those attributes are sadly lacking in most English punditry. I certainly wouldn''t be apposed to seeing him more often

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]Neville clearly does his homework before every game and his punditry is world class. Most of the Sky Team are decent but even they have the odd bad apple. [/quote]
Neville is the best. I hated him as a player but fair play to him, he really knows his stuff. So much so that he should really think about getting into management! 

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]Neville clearly does his homework before every game and his punditry is world class. Most of the Sky Team are decent but even they have the odd bad apple. [/quote]
What is the point of Jamie Redknapp? He is one of the worst pundits on TV. Almost as bad as Lawrenson

This is controversial, but i actually really like bad commentary. I remember listening to radio sheffield back when we played shef wed many years ago, and after complaining about huckerby ''throwing his toys out of the pram'' the commentators then starting chatting to the tea lady about what pie-related delights would be on offer at half time. wonderful stuff.

I thoroughly enjoyed the ''ooooooooooooooooohhhhh torres!'' moment, and as a man who disliked all things gary neville during his playing days, I now view him in a completely different light in his punditry career.

And, I really enjoy shouting ''shut up lawenson'' at the TV when, inevitably, he says something ridiculous.

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"][quote user="ReadingCanary"]Neville clearly does his homework before every game and his punditry is world class. Most of the Sky Team are decent but even they have the odd bad apple. [/quote]
What is the point of Jamie Redknapp? He is one of the worst pundits on TV. Almost as bad as Lawrenson
[/quote]
The purpose of Jamie Redknapp is to get more girls to watch football because, due to some sort of freak genetics, he was somehow born extremely handsome. His mum must be a stunner because his dad sure isn''t. 

[quote user="Kirkstall Yellow"]I thoroughly enjoyed the ''ooooooooooooooooohhhhh torres!'' moment, and as a man who disliked all things gary neville during his playing days, I now view him in a completely different light in his punditry career.

And, I really enjoy shouting ''shut up lawenson'' at the TV when, inevitably, he says something ridiculous.[/quote]
I''m actually quite surprised how many people disliked Neville''s exclamations when Torres and Drogba scored. It was unprofessional, but it was hilarious and reminded you how much Gary Neville enjoys football, it''s a feeling you just don''t get from Hanson, who seems to border on a hatred of the game at times.
Lawrenson is an awful pundit, but his commentary can be hilarious at times. I particularly like his hatred of watching England play, as it boils down to him repeatedly saying ''play a simple pass'' and going insane every time England smash the ball forward.

[quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="Phillip J Fry"][quote user="ReadingCanary"]Neville clearly does his homework before every game and his punditry is world class. Most of the Sky Team are decent but even they have the odd bad apple. [/quote]
[/quote]
The purpose of Jamie Redknapp is to get more girls to watch football because, due to some sort of freak genetics, he was somehow born extremely handsome. His mum must be a stunner because his dad sure isn''t. 
[/quote]
That must be the reason for those trousers...

The main problem I''ve had with MOTD recently over Sky is that it doesn''t seem like most of the MOTD team do much research.If you watch a show like Monday Night Football on Sky, you are given the very best of punditry. Stats, team analysis and squad news all wrapped up neatly with the very best in modern technology.MOTD however, Pundit - Wise (most of the BBC commentators are brilliant) has turned into something reminiscent of a few mates down the pub discussing the weekends games.The amount of mistakes made last season, whether it be what position a player played, what team he had recently played for, how many goals he had scored etc was quite embarrassing.I like Lineker a lot, and a lot of the guests are decent too. (Pat Nevin in particular is brilliant)However, Shearer, Hansen and Lawrenson often seem to have only made a few notes on the game they have watched that afternoon, rather than going in-depth on the issues we all want to know about (Something G. Neville is superb at).Then again MOTD is only a highlight show and Sky offer full coverage + Half Time and Full Time analysis. We shouldn''t particularly be that annoyed at the MOTD Coverage as without it, many people wouldn''t be able to watch 90% of that weekends Premier League games.

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]The main problem I''ve had with MOTD recently over Sky is that it doesn''t seem like most of the MOTD team do much research.[/quote]
That''s one of the main issues IMO. Remember when Shearer claimed he''d never heard of Ben Arfa? (despite him playing for Marseille, one of the biggest teams in France) or in 2010 when all of their pundits admitted to knowing nothing about the Slovenian national team? They''re paid good money to provide their commentary, they should know these things and research them if they need to.

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]The main problem I''ve had with MOTD recently over Sky is that it doesn''t seem like most of the MOTD team do much research.If you watch a show like Monday Night Football on Sky, you are given the very best of punditry. Stats, team analysis and squad news all wrapped up neatly with the very best in modern technology.MOTD however, Pundit - Wise (most of the BBC commentators are brilliant) has turned into something reminiscent of a few mates down the pub discussing the weekends games.The amount of mistakes made last season, whether it be what position a player played, what team he had recently played for, how many goals he had scored etc was quite embarrassing.I like Lineker a lot, and a lot of the guests are decent too. (Pat Nevin in particular is brilliant)However, Shearer, Hansen and Lawrenson often seem to have only made a few notes on the game they have watched that afternoon, rather than going in-depth on the issues we all want to know about (Something G. Neville is superb at).Then again MOTD is only a highlight show and Sky offer full coverage + Half Time and Full Time analysis. We shouldn''t particularly be that annoyed at the MOTD Coverage as without it, many people wouldn''t be able to watch 90% of that weekends Premier League games.[/quote]Let''s think about why that might be.On Saturday, the MOTD team has usually at least 5, and up to 8 games. Most games will finish about 5pm, leaving them 5 hours to gather the information they need on those games.Monday Night has one game, and a whole weekend to research.While I know MOTD has its poor points, what can you expect with so much to analyse in such little time?

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"][quote user="ReadingCanary"]The main problem I''ve had with MOTD recently over Sky is that it doesn''t seem like most of the MOTD team do much research.If you watch a show like Monday Night Football on Sky, you are given the very best of punditry. Stats, team analysis and squad news all wrapped up neatly with the very best in modern technology.MOTD however, Pundit - Wise (most of the BBC commentators are brilliant) has turned into something reminiscent of a few mates down the pub discussing the weekends games.The amount of mistakes made last season, whether it be what position a player played, what team he had recently played for, how many goals he had scored etc was quite embarrassing.I like Lineker a lot, and a lot of the guests are decent too. (Pat Nevin in particular is brilliant)However, Shearer, Hansen and Lawrenson often seem to have only made a few notes on the game they have watched that afternoon, rather than going in-depth on the issues we all want to know about (Something G. Neville is superb at).Then again MOTD is only a highlight show and Sky offer full coverage + Half Time and Full Time analysis. We shouldn''t particularly be that annoyed at the MOTD Coverage as without it, many people wouldn''t be able to watch 90% of that weekends Premier League games.[/quote]Let''s think about why that might be.On Saturday, the MOTD team has usually at least 5, and up to 8 games. Most games will finish about 5pm, leaving them 5 hours to gather the information they need on those games.Monday Night has one game, and a whole weekend to research.While I know MOTD has its poor points, what can you expect with so much to analyse in such little time?[/quote]Monday Football normally does a good job of covering all the Weekends games + the Monday night game + analysis of the mid week games coming up.

I just wish MOTD was a little less unscripted, I think Gary would do a better job on his own than the lines he''s dealt with. But i also understand that primarily the BBC need to ensure that what''s being said doesn''t offend, can be construed as biased opinion and is factual, so won''t happen.

You can see he disagrees with Hansen/Lawro many times but never really pushes, i would much prefer to hear his opinion more and be less of a presenter, and more a host that pulls ''pundits'' up, instead of allowing one-liners and a silly grin to be classed as punditry.

To shake it up a bit and invite a member from an independent supporters group (from a different club each week) would really help push the ''man on the streets'' take on things, i like this as it gives viewers an insight into fans impressions from each club on how the season is going.

Yeah I enjoy MOTD. I''m extremely grateful it exists and comparing it to Sky is probably unfair.I think my only problem is that they get payed an awful lot  for not much AnalysisJust stumbled across this though...http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/4929428/Alan-Hansen-quits-Match-of-the-Day.html

I much prefer the pundits who are on MOTD 2 (Lee Dixon especially) compared to the Saturday night MOTD crew.

It''s not the work that is done between the games ending and the showing going on TV that bothers me, it is the general lack of knowledge about football which Lawro, Hansen, Shearer exhibit.  E.g. when we were promoted to the Prem, Lawro made a comment early in the season that he knew nothing about us.  As a professional commentator, he should maybe have taken a couple of days over the summer to research the promoted teams ?  It wouldn''t be that hard.  But he doesn''t bother.  Which annoys me.

[quote user="ReadingCanary"][quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"][quote user="ReadingCanary"]The main problem I''ve had with MOTD recently over Sky is that it doesn''t seem like most of the MOTD team do much research.If you watch a show like Monday Night Football on Sky, you are given the very best of punditry. Stats, team analysis and squad news all wrapped up neatly with the very best in modern technology.MOTD however, Pundit - Wise (most of the BBC commentators are brilliant) has turned into something reminiscent of a few mates down the pub discussing the weekends games.The amount of mistakes made last season, whether it be what position a player played, what team he had recently played for, how many goals he had scored etc was quite embarrassing.I like Lineker a lot, and a lot of the guests are decent too. (Pat Nevin in particular is brilliant)However, Shearer, Hansen and Lawrenson often seem to have only made a few notes on the game they have watched that afternoon, rather than going in-depth on the issues we all want to know about (Something G. Neville is superb at).Then again MOTD is only a highlight show and Sky offer full coverage + Half Time and Full Time analysis. We shouldn''t particularly be that annoyed at the MOTD Coverage as without it, many people wouldn''t be able to watch 90% of that weekends Premier League games.[/quote]Let''s think about why that might be.On Saturday, the MOTD team has usually at least 5, and up to 8 games. Most games will finish about 5pm, leaving them 5 hours to gather the information they need on those games.Monday Night has one game, and a whole weekend to research.While I know MOTD has its poor points, what can you expect with so much to analyse in such little time?[/quote]Monday Football normally does a good job of covering all the Weekends games + the Monday night game + analysis of the mid week games coming up.[/quote]They do - Hence my point "One game, and a whole weekend to research". My point is that they have a lot more time after the fact to prepare this coverage.

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"][quote user="ReadingCanary"][quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"][quote user="ReadingCanary"]The main problem I''ve had with MOTD recently over Sky is that it doesn''t seem like most of the MOTD team do much research.If you watch a show like Monday Night Football on Sky, you are given the very best of punditry. Stats, team analysis and squad news all wrapped up neatly with the very best in modern technology.MOTD however, Pundit - Wise (most of the BBC commentators are brilliant) has turned into something reminiscent of a few mates down the pub discussing the weekends games.The amount of mistakes made last season, whether it be what position a player played, what team he had recently played for, how many goals he had scored etc was quite embarrassing.I like Lineker a lot, and a lot of the guests are decent too. (Pat Nevin in particular is brilliant)However, Shearer, Hansen and Lawrenson often seem to have only made a few notes on the game they have watched that afternoon, rather than going in-depth on the issues we all want to know about (Something G. Neville is superb at).Then again MOTD is only a highlight show and Sky offer full coverage + Half Time and Full Time analysis. We shouldn''t particularly be that annoyed at the MOTD Coverage as without it, many people wouldn''t be able to watch 90% of that weekends Premier League games.[/quote]Let''s think about why that might be.On Saturday, the MOTD team has usually at least 5, and up to 8 games. Most games will finish about 5pm, leaving them 5 hours to gather the information they need on those games.Monday Night has one game, and a whole weekend to research.While I know MOTD has its poor points, what can you expect with so much to analyse in such little time?[/quote]Monday Football normally does a good job of covering all the Weekends games + the Monday night game + analysis of the mid week games coming up.[/quote]They do - Hence my point "One game, and a whole weekend to research". My point is that they have a lot more time after the fact to prepare this coverage.[/quote]True. Can''t dispute that.

Agree with comments about Neville, Redknapp and Lawro!

I just hope that when it comes to games, that the BBC pick a potential shock in the making, not a Man Utd vs West Ham type of game, just because they don''t get to show live Prem games (before now), they are just tedious