Sign in to follow this  
Sly Dog

West Ham fans on Norwich...

Hi all, I found this an interesting post and comments from West Ham fans.

http://foreverwestham.com/2013/07/blog-topics/can-west-ham-learn-a-few-things-from-norwich-city/comment-page-1#comments

Seem a sensible lot but I did raise an eyebrow at the post saying West Ham are ''on a completely different level to Norwich''..... I''d love to know why they think so!

They all seem pretty sensible other than this guy: -

"The Cat"
I’m not sure people understand the difference between “potential” and “proven” quality. Gambling or taking a chance with POTENTIAL might work…..but it could fail, and relegation is NOT an option. PROVEN, ensures quality in level of performance. Truth is we’re on a different level to Norwich and I wouldn’t swap squads with them for all the tea in China.

they are on a different level as they have substantially more finances than NCFC

Wouldn''t swap our defence or goalkeeper with theirs, but they do have a few excellent players who would walk into our team.
Kevin Nolan is the goalscoring attacking midfielder that we desperately need, Diame is head and shoulders above Johnson and Tettey as an anchor midfielder. 
And let''s be honest with ourselves, Andy Carroll is an excellent striker and we have left ourselves with no aerial threat. Apart from those three, and perhaps James Tomkins as a challenger to Michael Turner, wouldn''t be interested in any of their players.
Without the four players mentioned they would be a bottom three team, but those four would be seriously valuable to us if they were here. I''m actually really worried about our lack of aerial threat now. 

Sorry, is it August the 17th already?!

[quote user="T"]they are on a different level as they have substantially more finances than NCFC[/quote]
That''s rubbish, in March they took out a £60m loan against future TV revenues to consolidate some of their debts. They are one of the most indebted teams in the league. They don''t pay players any more than us, Andy Carroll is the only exception. Gold and Sullivan are tight like Mike Ashley (although necessarily so because they were almost insolvent when they took over). We are in a much healthier position than West Ham. 
Their situation will improve when they move into their new government subsidised stadium, but for now they remain broke. 

Also remember the owners saying they would be playing CL football within 7yrs when they took over. How''s that target looking lads?!

[quote user="T"]they are on a different level as they have substantially more finances than NCFC[/quote]

Spits hot beverage out over the screen, to see if I can read that any differently. Wasn''t the big troll in Sam spitting his dummy because they nearly couldn''t get a Caroll because of the financial fair play agreement but some how managed to do it? They are riddled in debt and not well managed. Love to see their bubble burst (someone had to say it)

Generally some sensible comments from people there, acknowledging we''ve done well so far this transfer window.

West Ham very much a team on our level except they have owners willing to inject extra cash at the moment, hence they do have a few good players.  But if you were to pick the best team from both squads, there''s no way it would all be West Ham.

Andy Carroll has potential IMO but after a good start when he joined them last year contributed much less later on, seemed to be injured a lot.  Let''s face it, there''s no way he would have gone for £15m this summer if Liverpool hadn''t foolishly paid £35m for him themselves.

[quote user="ITK Twitterer"]

Spits hot beverage out over the screen, to see if I can read that any differently. Wasn''t the big troll in Sam spitting his dummy because they nearly couldn''t get a Caroll because of the financial fair play agreement but some how managed to do it? They are riddled in debt and not well managed. Love to see their bubble burst (someone had to say it)

[/quote]
They were at their worst point when Sullivan and Gold took over, think it was something like £100m+ in debt.
Sullivan and Gold have reduced the debt substantially since, but they are still a very long way from being debt free. They have gambled by mortgaging their future TV revenues. That alone reduces their spending power substantially. Don''t know how many years that will impact them, but safe to assume a few years at least. 
They definitely do have ''big club'' potential, but not for a very long time. We have much greater short to medium term potential to pose a threat to the top 6 I''d say. 

''Ha you west spam supports are so funny, carol only works at small clubs so he will do well with you. enjoy the struggle of the second season as we push on to Europe enjoy fighting it out with crystal palace. I will bet you all £50 that norwich not only beat you twice next season but will finish above you

On the ball city''

I guess the the only consolation is that there are idiot fans everywhere.

[quote user="Nicko"]Some plonker Norwich fan has commented on there and embarrassed us all.[/quote]

Please don''t tell me Wiz has been at it again ? [:P]

West Ham spent 56m on wages compared to 37 for us in the previous season. 50% more,

[quote user="Nicko"]Some plonker Norwich fan has commented on there and embarrassed us all.[/quote]I''m actually more embarrassed by the West Ham love in on there by our fans following that comment. We should be proud of our team and confident enough to take the ''pee'' out of ''bigger'' clubs who now have worst squads than us.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="Nicko"]Some plonker Norwich fan has commented on there and embarrassed us all.[/quote]

Please don''t tell me Wiz has been at it again ? [:P]

[/quote]

Not guilty M''Lud...................this time.[;)]

[quote user="T"]West Ham spent 56m on wages compared to 37 for us in the previous season. 50% more,[/quote]And yet it only got them 1 place above and 2 points more than Norwich.

Whose that pathetic shite "Canary" - goes onto another club''s website & puts down his own players !!!!!????

[quote user="The New Boy"]They were at their worst point when Sullivan and Gold took over, think it was something like £100m+ in debt.[/quote]It was actually £140m. When you consider it has taken two years of Prem income and prudent spending on players to pay off £20m of debt, you realise we are still in a good place compared with them.

It takes a big club to amass that much debt to bgin with.

They are in London.

They feature in movies about the game.

We''ve never spent £15m on a player. It was just this year we spent over £7m on a player, something they did years ago when they bought Dean Ashton.

We may be more financially sound but they are a bigger club. But I don''t care. NCFC all day, every day for me!

[quote user="Vazzza"]

"The Cat"I’m not sure people understand the difference between “potential” and “proven” quality. Gambling or taking a chance with POTENTIAL might work…..but it could fail, and relegation is NOT an option. PROVEN, ensures quality in level of performance. Truth is we’re on a different level to Norwich and I wouldn’t swap squads with them for all the tea in China.

[/quote]Well they are right about Carroll as he is proven quality. The only drawback is he always has a fitness problem and they have gambled the house on him. If he makes 10 games a season I''ll be surprised. The latest news is that he is injured again....... LOL.. Carroll will always have the POTENTIAL to be fit but PROVEN not to be  !!  [:D]

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Vazzza"]

"The Cat"
I’m not sure people understand the difference between “potential” and “proven” quality. Gambling or taking a chance with POTENTIAL might work…..but it could fail, and relegation is NOT an option. PROVEN, ensures quality in level of performance. Truth is we’re on a different level to Norwich and I wouldn’t swap squads with them for all the tea in China.

[/quote]

Well they are right about Carroll as he is proven quality. The only drawback is he always has a fitness problem and they have gambled the house on him. If he makes 10 games a season I''ll be surprised. The latest news is that he is injured again....... LOL..

Carroll will always have the POTENTIAL to be fit but PROVEN not to be  !!  [:D]
[/quote]

Carroll isn''t proven quality at all, he''s had half a good season in the premier league and that was with Newcastle. Quite frankly he is a donkey, will miss 4/5 chances before sticking the ball in the net.

At this moment in time, West Ham will struggle next year as I can''t see where the goals will come from, Carroll on average gets 6/7 goals a season, Nolan is ageing. They need some quality strikers urgently, that being said, they have a decent manager who knows what it takes.