Sign in to follow this  
henrik

DISCLAIMER - This is NOT a sexist post

This is a serious post borne out of curiosity. I know its much like comparing Tyson and Ali (Tyson btw), but watching the women''s football on the telly, what level do you think they would theoretically sit at in the mens football pyramid. Once again, i am not being degrading, or sexist or any of those things I''m just purely interested in what others would think. I personally think they would sit around Evo-Stick league level (Kings Lynn).I have to say though, what has impressed me is the repsect they have for the referees and the low amount of gamesmanship or cheating as we know it. Good on them for that. Mens football could do with taking that on board.

Bugger! please accept my apologies for not posting this under other football or whatever it is i should have done. Desperately trying to make this NCFC related now so it can stay

Tough to say really, there are probably some women who are better suited to the mans game than their own game. I''d say if a world eleven womens team were to enter the mens game, they''d probably be mid table in league 2, at the lower end of the professional game. Technically, there are some women up there with premier league players, but physically, they''d mainly be outpaced and out muscled.

They''d definately beat me and my mates though! I''ve played a few times with a lass in the leeds team and she''s comfortably better than me. I''d say she''d make the bench at Harrogate town potentially, (2 leagues below the conference)

Good question, Henrik (and in no way sexist!).

My daughter used to play for Norwich City Academy / Ladies, so I have a pretty good understanding of the ladies'' game (having coached girls'' / ladies football to a decent standard for over ten years). I agree with an earlier poster, the England ladies team is probably on a par with King''s Lynn''s division. However, the game is very different because of the (obvious) physical differences; the men''s game is, of course, based on physical power (especially in this country).

That said, the ladies'' game - and trust me on this - is really entertaining to watch. The skill levels are very good, as is the commitment and the bravery of the players. Plus, the sportmanship is fantastic compared to the men''s game - you won''t see prima donnas, or players surrounding the ref, or players falling to the ground and rolling around like they''ve been shot by a sniper from 300 yards!!!   

From what I have seen I couldn''t see them competing in the English football league. Yes they look impressive in their own environment but its a totally different level when considering the strengths of the men''s game.

I''ve seen better goalkeepers in the Anglian Combination if i''m being brutally honest. For me that''s the one area that the women''s game is badly let down by.

Outfield, yeh I guess they''d be King''s Lynn level...

Have to agree completely with LinkNR9 - I run my own team down in Luton and its very different to the men''s game and I find it in some respects more entertaining.

The ladies I coach are willing to learn and the respect for each other and their opposition is brilliant.

In terms of quality - you cannot compare men and women''s football as its very different, quite similar to Tennis in that respect. I think the England ladies could probably beat a team like Dereham Town simply because tactically and fitness-wise they are better and can run for longer.

My mate plays for Donny belles in the WSL against teams like Chelsea and Arsenal Ladies and I believe she trains 3-4 times a week so its quite serious.

[quote user="The Walking Man "]I''ve seen better goalkeepers in the Anglian Combination if i''m being brutally honest. For me that''s the one area that the women''s game is badly let down by.

Outfield, yeh I guess they''d be King''s Lynn level...[/quote]

Goalkeepers has always been a personal issue of mine in Ladies football, a brave goalkeeper who is also a woman is a very rare breed!

[quote user="refjezdavies"]Have to agree completely with LinkNR9 - I run my own team down in Luton and its very different to the men''s game and I find it in some respects more entertaining.

The ladies I coach are willing to learn and the respect for each other and their opposition is brilliant.

In terms of quality - you cannot compare men and women''s football as its very different, quite similar to Tennis in that respect. I think the England ladies could probably beat a team like Dereham Town simply because tactically and fitness-wise they are better and can run for longer.

My mate plays for Donny belles in the WSL against teams like Chelsea and Arsenal Ladies and I believe she trains 3-4 times a week so its quite serious.[/quote]

Your mate won''t be playing for Donny Belles against arsenal etc. next season. They got thrown out of the league

Your mate won''t be playing for Donny Belles against arsenal etc. next season. They got thrown out of the league

No - unfortunately not, but thats the side of women''s football I dislike....

Don''t know if anyone could answer this, but is there anything in the rules again women playing professionally in the men''s league, if they were good enough?

The thought crossed my mind too. I would not compare ladies game to lower league man''s football, but rather to development footie, and for my two cents it''s U17/18 standard at the highest level.

In my my son''s (age 12) team there played a girl for many years. She was highly talented, and eventually moved on to the best women''s team in the country to train with 17-18 year old, so she must be good. When she played in my son''s team, initially (at the age of 8-9) she was on par with the best of the boys, then gradually slipped in the pecking order, mostly due to physical aspects: lack of speed and aggression. Her passing and holding of the ball was excellent though, and as I hear in her current U14 team she''s a prolific scorer.

As much as I like womens football and really pleased it''s grown in the UK last few years, I have good understainding because of my connections to Norway. I have a friend who''s two daughters now play in the Danish Ladies league and are pushing into the youth set up for the Norwegian ladies.

I have watched Jone coach the youth teams in Stavanger and I can say that as good as all the girls were tachnically and passed the skill on the ball was really good, the lack of strength and pace is clear to see. One thing I do like is the respect for officials from the ladies compared to the professional men, they could learn a thing or two from the ladies.

If you put up a good standard local league team they would probably give any international team a good game and that''s pretty much what I see, but would that not be a good thing to see, the England ladies team against a good non league mens team?

The debate about men''s and women''s  football is an interesting one.  The size of the goal is one issue when talking about women''s football. as is the size of the pitch.    This is not a sexist view as it is an issue that several prominent lady footballers have mentioned.    To make the standard of football more like men''s you would have to make the pitch and goals smaller.  

If you don''t do that then it is very difficult to compare the two different style of games that men and women have.   It is like tennis.   The men and women''s game there is different but the court is the same size.  Women''s tennis has come a long way, mainly due to the technology of the rackets, but there is still a huge difference in the two games.   There is no technology that can bring forward  women''s football in the same way as tennis.

Pitch and goal sizes would be difficult to change when using football stadiums so people just have to accept the women''s game is going to appear slower and look not as spectacular as men''s football.  This may be a drawback for women''s football, but unless they use smaller goals and/or smaller pitches, there will always be a big difference.

Interestingly in Japan the women''s team often play against the men''s youth teams - whilst the women can consistantly beat the age groups up to and including the U20s, the U21s and U23s get wins more often than not. Obviously these games are for training purposes so tackling isn''t so physical to hard to get a true picture of the quality.

England women''s team are a long way off the best teams in the world and if you see the USA team I think you would agree they are better than Kings Lynn (they even have a goalkeeper who is good).

North West Norfolk 2 or 3 at bestAnd that is from someone who has played against a womens team - albeit seven of us and one of ours in goal for them in a knock about, jumpers for goals game. That was a few years back I''ll admit (2009) and it was only for 20 mins but they were to put it mildly, way out of their depth. None of us were under 40 and we were only reasonable park players.Points worth noting are that they seem to play a much slower game and expect a fair bit of time on the ball. The game actually broke up because they appeared peed off that we were tackling them and running with the ball.I had previously had a kick about with some female players and that was much the same thought - but these were players who played for some county and known teams. I would further add that it is probably similar to comparing netball with basketball.But to claim they could play anywhere near Anglian Combination nevermind above that is absurd.

Any one who thinks these girls could play at a professional (mans) level have never played football.

The technique and touch is very poor. Kelly Smith as the best footballing brain and technique and she would not make a League 2 side.

Only managed to catch a couple of games from the Euro''s, England v Spain was absolutely awful, probably Ipswich standard, Germany v Holland was on a different level altogether however, I didn''t catch the whole game but what I saw was very impressive. I''d imagine either of those sides would play our ladies off the park.

[quote user="CDMullins"]Any one who thinks these girls could play at a professional (mans) level have never played football. The technique and touch is very poor. Kelly Smith as the best footballing brain and technique and she would not make a League 2 side.[/quote]

looking at it from a coaches point of view i disagree entirely, technique and touch was generally pretty good, defensie recovery and organisation was pretty poor, Midfield gap was massive! England seem very small compared to the other teams.

The final ball was not as good as hoped, lack of movement from England, poor tackling and an inability to win the ball in the air.

AS mentioned above Holland and Germany were streets ahead in all areas.