Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

If your good enough....

Could our two youngsters who apparently played well in the USA first tour match be regulars?   It would be great to think so. Imo, there is a common misconception that "young" players need to wait to get "experience" before they are put in at the top level.   However in most sports and performing professions - if you are good enough you are old enough.   Going back a few years, the likes of Beckham, Scholes, Giggs, Rooney all appeared at a young age.   It is about getting the experience when you are young enough to be able to learn to adapt.  The later you leave it, the harder it is to make the breakthrough.  You see so many young (under 23) players languishing in squads, not getting enough first team experience, with people saying "they are a " great prospect" and they end up going out on loan to get "experience" - mainly because they can''t get the experience they need at their own club.  Its fine for a Lukaku who goes on loan to a prem club, but imo more of these young players need to be given more of a chance at the top level, sooner rather than later.  So many of them don''t make the breakthrough, not because they are not good enough, but because they didn''t get the chance at the top level to prove that they can do it and they lose the confidence they can do it at an age where the confidence of youth is at its height ie.18-23. 

The pork me is LDC, the players you mention playing at a young age, are/were extremely talented. Our youth players are probably not anywhere near them in terms of natural ability.

Pork me?

Were on earth did that come from? Please don''t...

Problem.

I really should read my posts before I click post. iPads love stupid auto corrects.

It seems to me that the Murphy twins get better according to the quality of their team mates. They were a lot more productive for the U-21/Development games in comparison to the FA Youth Cup matches last season. If you are getting the ball played to your feet and know that there will be a player in space for your ''killer pass'' surely you can relax more rather than having the whole team depend on you to make something happen all the time?

I know where you are coming from, but even Beckham went out on loan to Preston.

Really great to see Josh Murphy notch earlier, all part of his development, BUT.......it was very easy to see from the live FA Youth coverage that the best of our youth team are NOT yet ready for the first team squad.......loads of potential though, and lets keep our fingers crossed that a couple of them do go on to playing for us in The Premier League, it really does look that this may well happen sooner rather than later with these youngsters and our new academy status. That all said, it would be great if one of the youngsters did break into the first team squad ahead of expectations.....

Being of a fairly young age my self in comparison to my job role, I think the age/experience talk can be very degrading as age is irrelevant to your ability. I think in football we are very quick to look at age and its a shame that we can''t shake that age barrier off as nine times out of ten the younger guys will be the ones that work their socks off and put in that shift to prove their abilities!

As usual, you can''t apply sweeping generalisations to a subject like this.  It depends on the player''s ability, confidence and mental strength.  I''ve seen promising young players ruined by being thrown in too early - unless they were never good enough in the first place, which is a moot point.  Henderson, Llewellyn, Jarvis - all had the crowd on their back, lost confidence and their careers went backwards.  No surprise Henderson was arguably more effective away from home than at home.Additionally, the manager''s first responsibility is to ensure premier league survival and this requires the best players to achieve that goal on the pitch for the vast majority of the time.I have no issue with the Murphys, Loza etc. getting 10-15 minutes here and there, maybe cup games, but I wouldn''t assume they would start any PL matches.

The problem is that all of the ability in the world won''t help if you don''t know when is the right time to pass to a team mate. Admittedly I''ve only seen the Murphys on TV but it seemed to me that the only pass they looked for was to each other.

I''ve posted this on another thread, but realised it may be more appropriate for this one?

If we assume Russell Martin can cover a CB position, or indeed may play CB this year (he did a great job for Scotland against Croatia recently) and Ayala and Barnett are leaving, then with Bassong, Turner and Bennett we have four CB''s, so may be CH is testing Adel Gafaiti to establish if he is good enough should he be needed, same with Josh Murphy.  The wages for these guys are (at the moment) in the hundreds, therefore keeping the wage bill down.  There is of course no transfer fee.  Also as they are both U21, 19 and 3 days and 18 and 5 months respectively, then this frees up squad places for more attack minded players and perhaps a right full back, assuming RM plays CB.  Although Elliot Bennett is more than capable of covering this position and has done so in the past very well. Just because we can have 25 squad members over 21 doesn''t mean we have to.  If we have the youth to cover in extreme circumstances then why not leave a position or two free for possible signings in the January window.

The youngsters have often played against Prem opposition in their U21 games, each team is allowed 3 outfield players over 21 to cover returning from injury, etc. and the games I''ve seen, which is most of the home matches, they have performed well.  OK, it''s not 3.00pm on a Saturday, but at some stage each player makes a debut.

Just my opinion guys, which of course proves me right, well it does to me, it may not to you of course!!!!

I think they need a season long loan to a top division 1 team or lower to middle championship side first, at least prove they deserve a chance to shine in the premier league

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Gingerpele"]Pork me? [/quote]No offence, but you''re not my type.[/quote]I don''t really think he meant pork, chops. [;)]

Ray wrote - "...so may be CH is testing Adel Gafaiti to establish if he is good enough should he be needed, same with Josh Murphy..."

I think it was simpler than that. They booked for 25 players (Hotels and flights) but Bassong and Turner did not make it. CH then selected the best of our youngsters to fill those two slots. Seems like both of them acquitted themselves well and the experience will do their sense of worth and confidence a world of good.

Do you reckon Josh is just taking pictures wherever he goes and is sending them to his brother just saying "Jealous?" every time? Hahaha.

It''s great that they''ve gone along and got the experience. Now they''ve got to bring that experience home, put it to use and prove themselves as standout performers amongst their peers (which arguably they''ve already done or they wouldn''t have gone) maybe get a few cup games under their belts this season and get a loan either for the second half of this season or next season.

They have a very good setup at Colney so there may be a fear of sending them out too early for a loan where they have poorer facilities, a lower standard of coaching, but are getting game time, as opposed to keeping them here with great facilities, good coaches, but no real competetive games.

I would look to the next 3 years to be vital to these young boys'' development and they''re going to need all the support and guidance from those around them to make the right decisions.

It would be interesting to see our U21''s play say a League 1 or even Championship side, to test their level, etc.  My feelings are they would acquit themselves quite well.  After all the U21''s are effectively the reserves. And the U21 league is competitive, just ask the players.

They frequently come up against Prem players returning from injury and don''t appear to have any fear, mind you who does at that age?

I''m not suggesting any of our lads are Rooney level, but he made his Prem League debut aged 16, as have many others, and he wasn''t put out on loan previously.

If they''ve got it, they''ve got it, and the two in the USA both represent their country, I think Adel played at U20 level when only 17!!

We shall see but one thing''s for sure it will fascinating monitoring their progress.