Sign in to follow this  
Juggy

£8.5m on a 30 year old?

Quag is less an out and out striker and is also a creator, something the team was missing last season.

The names mentioned are more strikers with a potential - Hughton clearly thinks that Quag can bring his specific set of skills to the team and for a period of time that make him a worthwhile investment.   That coincides with my view,  as a player he is technically far superior to the proposed names and those currently at our club.   And the rumoured wages are only marginally ahead of what Holts rumoured wages were.

Would I rather spend £8-£10m on a current borderline england international or borderline italian international?     

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Quag is less an out and out striker and is also a creator, something the team was missing last season.

The names mentioned are more strikers with a potential - Hughton clearly thinks that Quag can bring his specific set of skills to the team and for a period of time that make him a worthwhile investment.   That coincides with my view,  as a player he is technically far superior to the proposed names and those currently at our club.   And the rumoured wages are only marginally ahead of what Holts rumoured wages were.

Would I rather spend £8-£10m on a current borderline england international or borderline italian international?     

[/quote]
Well I wouldn''t mind Jermaine Defoe, Daniel Sturridge or Andy Carroll. Sorry lost me there!

Getting sick of hearing about "resale value". Who cares that we won''t be able to sell him on for a profit, our team now is worth considerably more than what we paid for it, look at Ruddy, Snoddy, Johnson etc, those 3 players combined cost us under £3m and are probably worth in excess of £20m now if Ruddy''s valuation to Chelsea is to be believed.

It really doesn''t matter if we have one player who doesn''t have resale value, absolute quality player and would easily be our best signing.

[quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]

Well I wouldn''t mind Jermaine Defoe, Daniel Sturridge or Andy Carroll. Sorry lost me there!

[/quote]

All three would cost more than Quag and Quag would bring more to the table to ncfc.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"][quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

All three would cost more than Quag and Quag would bring more to the table to ncfc.

[/quote]
That wasn''t the question though, you asked whether I''d rather spend £8m-£10m on a borderline england international or a borderline italian international. 
Chelsea are said to be about to sign 29 year old Daneile De Rossi for £11m. If that is the going rate for a world class defensive midfielder, probably one of the top three best defensive midfielders in the world, then £8.5m is too much for a 30 year old who is a squad player for both club and country.
Sunderland have just purchased EMANUELE Giaccherini, an Italian international midfielder, who plays for Juventus, and has just turned 28.... for £6.5m. 
People are talking as if we should expect to pay £8.5m just because he is an Italian international, but it doesn''t really look like the going rate to me, just feels like we are paying over the odds. Especially as the rumour is that 10m euros is our initial bid and it has been rejected.

It looks like he hasn''t played for Italy for almost three years, which would make him about as much of an Italian international as Peter Crouch, who last played for England in 2010. In the meantime Borini played for Italy last year, and he was rubbish for Liverpool. 

Now had my coffe and cleared emails and had time to think this through.........

IMO even at 45K per week and 8.5 million for say a three year deal, that cost the club 15.5 million without agent fees or signing on fee!

That to me is a huge outlay on a player who offers no return value (Resale), unlike RVW or Fer.

I can''t say he has ever really caught my eye playing for Italy and not one who is a stand out player in that league. I''m not saying he''s not better than we have here of course he is, but again it''s about how he adapts to the EPL, how he settles in this area and we can''t get away from it, the pace in the EPL is a little bit quicker than Serie A.

I think this a luxury signing with a big gamble, the other signings we have made have been bargains compared to this one.

As the footy player all say "At the end of the day, the gaffer has his sights on players and if he thinks they will do the job, then great, I can''t wait to see them in the City shirt"

Firstly comparisions to players such as Defoe, Hooper, Bent etc. are silly, Quagliarella doesn''t play as a striker sitting on the last defenders shoulder and isn''t a player who ''comes alive in the box''. Norwich brought RvW in for that reason and signing another player like that would be foolish as they would end up trying to be in the same place as each other. It''s like when Becchio and Holt played together, they both tried to make the same runs or occupy the same area of the pitch.

Quagliarealla plays deeper and is as happy creating goals as scoring them and would compliment a striker like Rvw, rather than being direct competition to him. Also, for me, he has the skill that is almost priceless and Norwich have been missing for a while, the ability to be a match winner all on his own. Quagliarella is a player who can create something from absolutely nothing, and as we saw last season Norwich can often struggle for that little piece of inspiration.

The prices being talked about are high for a player of 30 years old, but his wages wouldn''t be out of Norwich''s range (probably around £40k a week, when you consider Olsson was on around £37k a week at Blackburn it gives you a little perspective). Also I imagine the transfer fee would have all the usual apperance fees, additional payments if Norwich aren''t promoted, win a trophy, qualify for Europe etc.

At the end of the day we are talkign about a player who brings a smile to the face and if Norwich are set for a bit of midtable obscurity, then having a little magician on the pitch would be more than welcome (especially when it''s Quagliarella who also has a tremendus work rate). I''ve said it before and I''ll keep saying it, Quagliarella could be Norwich''s Berbatov, the kind of player who makes you look forward to playing Stoke away, because you never know what he might do.

Why do people have such a massive hard-on about re-sale value?? We don''t HAVE to re-sell everyone!If the guy comes in an scores, say even 10 goals a season for 3 years (preferably more), and keeps us comfortably in the division then that''s worth a damn site more than £8.5 million.And as for comparing him age wise to Grant Holt, I loved GH but in comparison but this guy makes him look like a fat ex-Tyre-fitter. [;)] This guy is class, and I''d snap him up for £8.5 million.Apologies if this has been mentioned before, I couldn''t be arsed wading through the other 20 odd pages of guff....

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

Firstly comparisions to players such as Defoe, Hooper, Bent etc. are silly, Quagliarella doesn''t play as a striker sitting on the last defenders shoulder and isn''t a player who ''comes alive in the box''. Norwich brought RvW in for that reason and signing another player like that would be foolish as they would end up trying to be in the same place as each other. It''s like when Becchio and Holt played together, they both tried to make the same runs or occupy the same area of the pitch.

Quagliarealla plays deeper and is as happy creating goals as scoring them and would compliment a striker like Rvw, rather than being direct competition to him. Also, for me, he has the skill that is almost priceless and Norwich have been missing for a while, the ability to be a match winner all on his own. Quagliarella is a player who can create something from absolutely nothing, and as we saw last season Norwich can often struggle for that little piece of inspiration.

The prices being talked about are high for a player of 30 years old, but his wages wouldn''t be out of Norwich''s range (probably around £40k a week, when you consider Olsson was on around £37k a week at Blackburn it gives you a little perspective). Also I imagine the transfer fee would have all the usual apperance fees, additional payments if Norwich aren''t promoted, win a trophy, qualify for Europe etc.

At the end of the day we are talkign about a player who brings a smile to the face and if Norwich are set for a bit of midtable obscurity, then having a little magician on the pitch would be more than welcome (especially when it''s Quagliarella who also has a tremendus work rate). I''ve said it before and I''ll keep saying it, Quagliarella could be Norwich''s Berbatov, the kind of player who makes you look forward to playing Stoke away, because you never know what he might do.

[/quote]
He isn''t the only creative deep lying striker in the world though, Carlos Vela would be perfect as a second striker. 
How did you gain the impression that Olsson was on £37k a week at Blackburn? I''ve just googled ''Martin Olsson £37000'' and there were no results. That is quite a precise figure, care to share where you pulled it from? 
Whilst on the subject of Berbatov, he has signalled his intention to see out the second year of his contract and leave Fulham on a bosman at the end of the season after Fulham paid £5m for him. Nice of him isn''t it. 

@Newboy: Defoe, Sturridge and Carroll are not exactly borderline for England are they?

Defoe has made 54 appearances for England scoring 19 goals (according to wiki).

There is more of a case for Carroll and Sturridge as being borderline but I think you''ll find that they have been called up a lot by Hodgson and included in a lot of his squads. So again, not really borderline.

It does introduce another question about English football when your four top strikers are Rooney, Defoe who are then backed up by the likes of Carroll, Sturridge.

[quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]
He isn''t the only creative deep lying striker in the world though, Carlos Vela would be perfect as a second striker. 
How did you gain the impression that Olsson was on £37k a week at Blackburn? I''ve just googled ''Martin Olsson £37000'' and there were no results. That is quite a precise figure, care to share where you pulled it from? 
Whilst on the subject of Berbatov, he has signalled his intention to see out the second year of his contract and leave Fulham on a bosman at the end of the season after Fulham paid £5m for him. Nice of him isn''t it. 
[/quote]32 starts, 15 goals, 3 assists for £5m! I wouldn''t be complaining....If he does that again this season, I''d say that was value for money.

[quote user="chicken"]@Newboy: Defoe, Sturridge and Carroll are not exactly borderline for England are they?

Defoe has made 54 appearances for England scoring 19 goals (according to wiki).

There is more of a case for Carroll and Sturridge as being borderline but I think you''ll find that they have been called up a lot by Hodgson and included in a lot of his squads. So again, not really borderline.

It does introduce another question about English football when your four top strikers are Rooney, Defoe who are then backed up by the likes of Carroll, Sturridge.[/quote]
Well another way to look at it is that Quaggy has 6 goals in 25 games for Italy, and Peter Crouch has 22 goals in 44 games for England. Neither have represented their country since 2010. 
We aren''t signing Francesco Totti like some are making out, people seem blinded by the fact that he has a few Italy caps. He must be about 10th in the pecking order in Italy considering the standard of player that have been capped in his position over the last year or two... Watford have just signed a striker who got an Italy cap in 2012 who has only scored 5 league goals in his career.
Don''t think you will find that that Italian strikers are any better than ours, if anything they are worse at the minute, Borini hardly set the league alight last season..... Sturridge didn''t do too bad in the same team. Italy aren''t all they are cracked up to be, as they showed when they failed to score against England last summer. 

[quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][/quote]

[/quote]

Vela is a totally different kind of player, whilst of course there are other players available, you are unlikely to find many with Quag''s class, affordable wages and would be interested in joining Norwich (not that we are certain he wants to join). You will only find players who are slightly older wishing to make that move. Also Norwich are going to have a pretty young squad next year, a couple of experienced heads around the place would help out a lot.

Norwich are trying to take advantage of Juve''s current situation of rejuvinating their squad with new attacking players, most Juve fans don''t want Quagliarella to leave but with world class players coming in there is little option.

The Olsson wages figure was from something his agent told the Swedish media last season, he mentioned it was the reason Olsson didn''t leave Blackburn as soon as they were relegated. The fact Norwich picked up a very capable international left back, at the perfect age who had time left on his contract for around £2.5m fits into him being on high wages - Blackburn were eager to offload his high cost. Also, £35k - £40k a week isn''t particulary high wages for a club in the position Blackburn were in when he signed the contract, it''s roughly average wage for a Premier player I reckon.

Even if Berba does leave Fulham on a free in a years time I think you''ll find most Fulham fans will feel they got good value - most Fulham fans say he is the main reason they enjoy going to games because players like that can pull off the unthinkable at times. Football is entertainment, let''s get some entertainers on the pitch.

That''s inspired thinking Bethnal, though I''m not sure that even McNasty could wrangle a promotion clause at this stage...

I personally think that even at €12million we should go for it, the wages aren''t astronomical and fit within what appears to be our current wage structure and as many have stated before he does offer something totally different and almost unquantifiable. To compare his value based on Central and Defensive Midfielders that are a little bit younger but still Italian is missing the point. Strikers always cost more and the kind of quality that Quag would bring is an almost unquantifiable value, he creates chances out of absolutely nothing and scores the kind of goal that you tell your grandchildren about. People say that his scoring rate isn''t that good, consistently 1 in 3 every season across a career in Serie A for a number 10 is actually pretty damned good, especially when you look at the number of starts he''s had in the last season or so. So what if he has no resale value, we can afford him and he will really bring something that we won''t get from most of the names that are being mentioned elsewhere.

[quote user="Unhinged Canary"][quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]
[/quote]32 starts, 15 goals, 3 assists for £5m! I wouldn''t be complaining....If he does that again this season, I''d say that was value for money.[/quote]
Yes but we aren''t signing Berbatov the former Golden Boot and proven Premier League striker, and we aren''t paying £5m! 

V Kadlec Bethnal, at 21 has shed load of experience including European comp & international football. He is exactly the type of player to take on the creative attacking role. Would be cheaper than Quags and wages inside our structure. Additionally he''s only 21 and has the best of his form in front of him.

I''m sounding like his agent now, but there are some good alternatives to Quags.

[quote user="cornish sam"]

That''s inspired thinking Bethnal, though I''m not sure that even McNasty could wrangle a promotion clause at this stage...

I personally think that even at €12million we should go for it, the wages aren''t astronomical and fit within what appears to be our current wage structure and as many have stated before he does offer something totally different and almost unquantifiable. To compare his value based on Central and Defensive Midfielders that are a little bit younger but still Italian is missing the point. Strikers always cost more and the kind of quality that Quag would bring is an almost unquantifiable value, he creates chances out of absolutely nothing and scores the kind of goal that you tell your grandchildren about. People say that his scoring rate isn''t that good, consistently 1 in 3 every season across a career in Serie A for a number 10 is actually pretty damned good, especially when you look at the number of starts he''s had in the last season or so. So what if he has no resale value, we can afford him and he will really bring something that we won''t get from most of the names that are being mentioned elsewhere.

[/quote]*unquagifiable*[A]

[quote user="cornish sam"]

To compare his value based on Central and Defensive Midfielders that are a little bit younger but still Italian is missing the point. 

[/quote]
I wasn''t comparing strikers with defensive midfielders, I was comparing one of the best defensive midfielders in the world with a striker who doesn''t look like he has played for Italy for three years. It''s the equivalent of Peter Crouch being bought for more money than Michael Essien.    

[quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="Unhinged Canary"][quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]
[/quote]32 starts, 15 goals, 3 assists for £5m! I wouldn''t be complaining....If he does that again this season, I''d say that was value for money.[/quote]
Yes but we aren''t signing Berbatov the former Golden Boot and proven Premier League striker, and we aren''t paying £5m! 
[/quote]''Nice of him isn''t it'' Meaning your comment was to be viewed from a Fulham perspective, suggesting that that they would be unhappy.No?

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][/quote]

[/quote]

Vela is a totally different kind of player, whilst of course there are other players available, you are unlikely to find many with Quag''s class, affordable wages and would be interested in joining Norwich (not that we are certain he wants to join). You will only find players who are slightly older wishing to make that move. Also Norwich are going to have a pretty young squad next year, a couple of experienced heads around the place would help out a lot.

Norwich are trying to take advantage of Juve''s current situation of rejuvinating their squad with new attacking players, most Juve fans don''t want Quagliarella to leave but with world class players coming in there is little option.

The Olsson wages figure was from something his agent told the Swedish media last season, he mentioned it was the reason Olsson didn''t leave Blackburn as soon as they were relegated. The fact Norwich picked up a very capable international left back, at the perfect age who had time left on his contract for around £2.5m fits into him being on high wages - Blackburn were eager to offload his high cost. Also, £35k - £40k a week isn''t particulary high wages for a club in the position Blackburn were in when he signed the contract, it''s roughly average wage for a Premier player I reckon.

Even if Berba does leave Fulham on a free in a years time I think you''ll find most Fulham fans will feel they got good value - most Fulham fans say he is the main reason they enjoy going to games because players like that can pull off the unthinkable at times. Football is entertainment, let''s get some entertainers on the pitch.

[/quote]
£5m for Berbatov and £8.5m+ for Quaggy aren''t really comparable are they? One is a Premier League golden boot winner who has scored over 250 career goals. 

IMO some fans hang on to every single word that comes out of the club. And take it as gospel truth for ever more.  Through a previous manager we were told this ''young and hungry'' line regularly spun like a mantra.  
Reality is, it''s not necessarily applicable any more.  As Hughton is very well aware I should imagine, quality costs even at this earth shattering grand old age of 30.

[quote user="Unhinged Canary"][quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="Unhinged Canary"][quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]
[/quote]''Nice of him isn''t it'' Meaning your comment was to be viewed from a Fulham perspective, suggesting that that they would be unhappy.No?[/quote]
I see where you are coming from, but you are still attempting to compare Berbatov with Quaggy, and sorry but there really is no comparison. Berbatov was a genuine world class striker at his best. 

[quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
£5m for Berbatov and £8.5m+ for Quaggy aren''t really comparable are they? One is a Premier League golden boot winner who has scored over 250 career goals. 
[/quote]
One is on 100k per week and the other around 42k.  But we''ve already established Quag does more setting up/creating.

Seeing Hughton went all the way to Milan to meet Beppe Bozzo (Quag''s agent) and the Juventus representatives.Before flying out to the USHe 1) Clearly rates Quag      2) Really wants to get the deal doneI trust Hughton and the team over anyone on this forum.

NewBoy, I know you weren''t comparing the players and I didn''t say that you were. What I said is that you can''t use the reported value of a defensive midfielder (just out of interest, the origin of this price seems to be the Daily Mail, am I missing a reliable source for this?) no matter how good he is to judge the price of a striker, you may as well be using the £55 million for Cavani as a benchmark since he is only 4 years younger than Quag (I know that I am being facetious here, that is deliberate)... By the by, if Chelsea do get de Rossi for £11m then I think that they will have got one of the bargains of the summer, that figure does seem rediculously low considering the state of the transfer market and the fact that it''s Chelsea we''re talking about.

[quote user="The Pinkun Role Model"]IMO some fans hang on to every single word that comes out of the club. And take it as gospel truth for ever more.  Through a previous manager we were told this ''young and hungry'' line regularly spun like a mantra.  
Reality is, it''s not necessarily applicable any more.  As Hughton is very well aware I should imagine, quality costs even at this earth shattering grand old age of 30.
[/quote]
Well if age is no issue and everybody gets so excited by Italians then we could of signed Fabrizio Miccoli on a free transfer. The problem isn''t the age, the problem is the extremely high fee.