Sign in to follow this  
Juggy

£8.5m on a 30 year old?

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]I think this is very exciting. We haven''t had a Drazen Muzinic-style signing - ie risking loads of money on a highly-touted multi-capped international with no sell-on value who has never played club football outside his native country and may have trouble assimilating himself into English culture - since, well, Drazen Muzinic![/quote]
LOL :)

I remember when Teddy Sheringham moved to Manure in his 30s, eyebrows were raised.  Yet he had some of his best seasons there. 
Yes it''s easy to argue that TS was of a certain quality etc etc.  However as stated above, intelligent number 10s have more to them than just scoring a goal.  And quality ones do play to very high standard well into their mid 30s.

quote user "Indy" = "None of us on here know how good he is, we don''t watch him play every week and to keep comparing him to the likes of Zola, Baggio and such is criminal as he''s not that quality!

You say yourself that his game is not reliant on pace  and that might be so in Italy but in the premeirship you don''t have the luxury of time on the ball, you have players in your face, hunting the ball."

Read my post again. I said Quag may not be of the same qualify of the likes of Zola and Baggio, I just simply pointed out he is a similar type of player.

And yes, the Premiership is faster paced, but playmakers who lack pace do succeed in this league! Hoolahan isn''t equctly the quickest but he''s done OK. Do you think Hughton and McNally would be paying out €10m for Quag if they didnt think Quagliarella was up to it?

[quote user="Josh"]quote user "Indy" = "None of us on here know how good he is, we don''t watch him play every week and to keep comparing him to the likes of Zola, Baggio and such is criminal as he''s not that quality! You say yourself that his game is not reliant on pace  and that might be so in Italy but in the premeirship you don''t have the luxury of time on the ball, you have players in your face, hunting the ball." Read my post again. I said Quag may not be of the same qualify of the likes of Zola and Baggio, I just simply pointed out he is a similar type of player. And yes, the Premiership is faster paced, but playmakers who lack pace do succeed in this league! Hoolahan isn''t equctly the quickest but he''s done OK. Do you think Hughton and McNally would be paying out €10m for Quag if they didnt think Quagliarella was up to it?[/quote]

And as pointed out, some people, not you but you do reference these players akin to Quags.

As for Hoolahan, he has on game in three and the rest of the time struggles to get into the game as he''s marked out of the game by better players.

As I keep pointing out on the previous posts, Hughton and his scouts know more than any of us and all we are doing is passing our own judgement, you included!

But this guy is no Zola, he''s not played outside Italy, will he settle, is he good enough for the EPL and at 10 million being touted, is he worth that?

NONE of us mere supporters know that and time will tell if he does sign, we are all forming opinions noe of us right ;-)

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]Seeing Hughton went all the way to Milan to meet Beppe Bozzo (Quag''s agent) and the Juventus representatives.

Before flying out to the US

He 1) Clearly rates Quag
      2) Really wants to get the deal done

I trust Hughton and the team over anyone on this forum.
[/quote]

I''m with Reading on this!

Irrespective of the alleged fees, wages etc., DM & AB have worked damned hard to turn around the fortunes of this club - there is no way on God''s earth that they are going to allow that to be thrown away. The way that CH has performed since he has been here has obviously earned him their trust regarding his judgement on these matters - so, if this all transpires, then it will be with the blessing of all - which should leave us feeling very confident that it would be a good deal for the club.

I can''t see us going for any panic buys (ala the Hooper attempt last Jan) and based upon who he has signed, who he is talking to and who he is rumoured to be talking to, I''ve a feeling that this season will be one of those glorious seasons that will stick in the memory for years to come!

Iwan Roberts was 29 when he joined Norwich; once he''d settled, we had some great performances when he was in his thirties didn''t we?

Different league, different era, but this Italian guy is probably fitter and technically more adept than most!...

[quote user="Ches right hand man "]Can we end this thread? Clearly the majority want him and the minority the op doesn''t. [/quote]
If you read this thread and concluded that I''m the only person with doubts then you need to visit this website: http://www.starfall.com/
Che Guevara was a totalitarian fascist with the blood of his own people on his hands, by the way. 

Indy, you say that Quaq is not Zola, I wouldn''t be too sure on that one....

Before joining Chelsea when he was 30 Zola had only played in Italy scoring 112 goals in 326 games (~2.9 games per goal), Quag is currently 30 having only played in Italy scoring 101 goals in 336 games (~3.3 games per goal).

Zola had a 6 year international career comprising of 35 games and 10 goals, which ended the year after he signed for Chelsea (so when he was 31). Quag will have made his debut 6 years before his 31st birthday and played 25 games scoring 6 goals.

Both play that Number 10 role that offers something different to goals whilst still popping up scoring regularly and scoring the goals that make you just sit back in wonder. Zola went on to play for a further 9 years after coming to Chelsea taking his professional career to 21 years! Whilst I haven''t seen enough of Quag to say that he is in the same league as Zola looking at the stats and the reputation, they aren''t actually that far apart...

[quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="Ches right hand man "]Can we end this thread? Clearly the majority want him and the minority the op doesn''t. [/quote]
If you read this thread and concluded that I''m the only person with doubts then you need to visit this website: http://www.starfall.com/
Che Guevara was a totalitarian fascist with the blood of his own people on his hands, by the way. 
[/quote]So we should bend over backwards for uncle sam? Millions are dying in the middle east over oil. Getting back to topic only wiz and other trolls seem against which category are you?

I have said from the start I don''t this is a good deal. No sell on value for a player arguably past his best. Big money when the resources could be better spread also think we should be looking for sell on value and for a player who can grow here rather than one who could decline

[quote user="pilksfanclub"]I have said from the start I don''t this is a good deal. No sell on value for a player arguably past his best. Big money when the resources could be better spread also think we should be looking for sell on value and for a player who can grow here rather than one who could decline[/quote]Don''t particularly like the idea that every player we buy should be because we can sell them on for profit.We aren''t Arsenal

[quote user="ReadingCanary"][quote user="pilksfanclub"]I have said from the start I don''t this is a good deal. No sell on value for a player arguably past his best. Big money when the resources could be better spread also think we should be looking for sell on value and for a player who can grow here rather than one who could decline[/quote]Don''t particularly like the idea that every player we buy should be because we can sell them on for profit.We aren''t Arsenal

[/quote]If his goals/assists keep us up then we''ve got our money back plus interest ;)

There has been, and will always be, space in a mid table Premier League team for a older, continental player to come in, show a little class and flair and become a cult figure. Bolton had a string of them with great success, including Youri Djorkaeff and Jay-Jay Okocha. Chelsea had Zola (when they were a midtable team in 1996), even Christopher Dugarry was a success at Birmingham for a while. I''m sure there are countless other players I''m also missing.

Norwich are in a position for the first time that we can also have a little sprinkling of star dust on the team, let''s embrace it and welcome a someone like Quagliarella who will delight (and probably frustrate) at times - but will almost certainly become a cult figure in the future.

As for his quality, remember this is a guy who scored 2 goals against Chelsea last season, he should have no problems in the Premier League.

If Hughton believes he is the right man to help us win games of football and progress then I really don''t care what the fee is.

I trust Hughton, McNally and the others behind the scenes not to make moves that will endanger the club or just plain waste money.

Sometimes you''ve got to buy players for the here and now. It can''t always be about how good they are in 2 or 3 years time and how much they can be sold for. We need to make sure we''re as strong as we can be for the season ahead.

[quote user="Ches right hand man "][quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="Ches right hand man "]Can we end this thread? Clearly the majority want him and the minority the op doesn''t. [/quote]
[/quote]So we should bend over backwards for uncle sam? Millions are dying in the middle east over oil. Getting back to topic only wiz and other trolls seem against which category are you? [/quote]
Against Quag or Che Guevara? Definitely against Guevara. 
I''ve stated quite clearly at least twice in this thread that I will trust Hughtons judgement but am surprised at the figures stated for a player who would be a bit of a risk. I also said that despite my reservations, if he signs I will just look forward to watching him play in the yellow and green. I''m not entirely against the idea, in fact I''ve never really heard of him, but that''s partly the point. I suspect he will be a great player, but that doesn''t mean that spending such a huge chunk of the budget doesn''t concern me. 
As for Che Guevara. He sentenced up to 2000 people to death by firing squad without trial, and then embarked on something called ''population consolidation'', establishing a concentration camp where he would send homosexuals, anybody who spoke out against the regime, academics, and anybody else that he considered undesirable.
He was also very outspoken about what he perceived as the inferior black race and considered lighter skinned people to be superior genetically.
Not only did he share a fair bit in common with Adolf Hitler, he also shares a fair bit in common with Islamists as he would call for martydom and his dream was to
be killed in battle. He banned rock music too (yeah, freedom?!!). 
I suppose he was fine if you were not homosexual, dark skinned,  a fan of rock music, or in any way adverse to being controlled to the point where you would face a firing
squad for possessing a different opinion to those in control of your government. 

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]We have somehow got from Norwich signing a striker to Adolf Hitler.Wow.WOW.[/quote]
My thread. Leave if you wish. 

[quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="ReadingCanary"]We have somehow got from Norwich signing a striker to Adolf Hitler.Wow.WOW.[/quote]
[/quote]It''s not "your thread" this is a group message board. We are all allowed to comment.

[quote user="ReadingCanary"][quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="ReadingCanary"]We have somehow got from Norwich signing a striker to Adolf Hitler.Wow.WOW.[/quote]
[/quote]It''s not "your thread" this is a group message board. We are all allowed to comment.[/quote]
Fine, it was my post to a man with a picture of Che Guevara as his avatar who pretty much asked me what I have against Che Guevara.
If you aren''t interested in Che Guevara then don''t acknowledge it. 

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

There has been, and will always be, space in a mid table Premier League team for a older, continental player to come in, show a little class and flair and become a cult figure. Bolton had a string of them with great success, including Youri Djorkaeff and Jay-Jay Okocha. Chelsea had Zola (when they were a midtable team in 1996), even Christopher Dugarry was a success at Birmingham for a while. I''m sure there are countless other players I''m also missing.

Norwich are in a position for the first time that we can also have a little sprinkling of star dust on the team, let''s embrace it and welcome a someone like Quagliarella who will delight (and probably frustrate) at times - but will almost certainly become a cult figure in the future.

As for his quality, remember this is a guy who scored 2 goals against Chelsea last season, he should have no problems in the Premier League.

[/quote]

Yes, Bethnal, but a very expensive sprinkling of stardust! And while some of those players you mentioned were successes there were other such who turned out - to change the analogy - to be fool''s gold.I am willing to be convinced about Quagliarella, but I don''t think it can be denied his signing would be a high-price risk, even if the (rejected) €10m figure includes add-ons. A player coming up to 31, never played outside Italy, no sell-on value, may not speak English, may struggle with the physicality of the English game. Compare that with  a £4.5m Toivonen - just turned 27, sell-on value, almost certainly speaks English, has played outside Sweden, and is physically suited to the English game.Is Quaglierella a better player than Toivonen? Yes, almost certainly. But more of a risk. And despite our now stable financial position we still cannot throw around several million pounds on a whim.

[quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="Ches right hand man "][quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="Ches right hand man "]Can we end this thread? Clearly the majority want him and the minority the op doesn''t. [/quote]
[/quote]So we should bend over backwards for uncle sam? Millions are dying in the middle east over oil. Getting back to topic only wiz and other trolls seem against which category are you? [/quote]
I''ve stated quite clearly at least twice in this thread that I will trust Hughtons judgement but am surprised at the figures stated for a player who would be a bit of a risk. I also said that despite my reservations, if he signs I will just look forward to watching him play in the yellow and green. I''m not entirely against the idea, in fact I''ve never really heard of him, but that''s partly the point. I suspect he will be a great player, but that doesn''t mean that spending such a huge chunk of the budget doesn''t concern me. 
As for Che Guevara. He sentenced up to 2000 people to death by firing squad without trial, and then embarked on something called ''population consolidation'', establishing a concentration camp where he would send homosexuals, anybody who spoke out against the regime, academics, and anybody else that he considered undesirable.
He was also very outspoken about what he perceived as the inferior black race and considered lighter skinned people to be superior genetically.
Not only did he share a fair bit in common with Adolf Hitler, he also shares a fair bit in common with Islamists as he would call for martydom and his dream was to
I suppose he was fine if you were not homosexual, dark skinned,  a fan of rock music, or in any way adverse to being controlled to the point where you would face a firing
squad for possessing a different opinion to those in control of your government. 
[/quote]I like to see your evidence for all of this and what is Guantanamo bay? Clearly you don''t understand what a fascist is. And I am pretty sure Cuba Bolivia Angola all had mixed race people which he supported uprisings in.

I''ve already PM''d you my respond to stop threads getting clogged up with political views so its up to you to respond.

[quote]

Is Quaglierella a better player than Toivonen? Yes, almost certainly. [/quote]

I''m not really convinced that we can be sure of this. He may be technically better, but I doubt he would be any more effective. I think Toivonen is built perfectly for the Premier League and his ability in the air would be really valuable to a team who have just lost Grant Holt. 

If we ended up with Quaglierella and Van Wolfswinkel then I''d be a little worried about our lack of aerial strength, especially when we have the potential to be really dangerous from set pieces with Pilkington and Snodgrass in the team. 

Seen all of Van Wolfswinkel''s goals, just watched about thirty of Quaglierella''s goals, and both score lots with their feet and hardly ever with their head. A player like Toivonen could be our Tim Cahill or Clint Dempsey. 

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

Yes, Bethnal, but a very expensive sprinkling of stardust! And while some of those players you mentioned were successes there were other such who turned out - to change the analogy - to be fool''s gold.

I am willing to be convinced about Quagliarella, but I don''t think it can be denied his signing would be a high-price risk, even if the (rejected) €10m figure includes add-ons. A player coming up to 31, never played outside Italy, no sell-on value, may not speak English, may struggle with the physicality of the English game. Compare that with  a £4.5m Toivonen - just turned 27, sell-on value, almost certainly speaks English, has played outside Sweden, and is physically suited to the English game.

Is Quaglierella a better player than Toivonen? Yes, almost certainly. But more of a risk. And despite our now stable financial position we still cannot throw around several million pounds on a whim.

[/quote]

Pretty much sums it up for me Purple, I think some people have taken this 80 million in additional money to mean we should gamble 15 million of it on a 31 year, who on paper has a couple seasons left in him, who has never played outside Italy and no guarantee he will settle here and perform to his best ability from the start.

You can''t argue about giving him a season or so to settle, he would need to make an impact from the start.

But as said if Hughton thinks this is the right player then so be it, I will be happy to welcome him to the fine City with open arms, still means I have an opinion like the rest, to question if it''s the right call.

[quote user="Ches right hand man "][quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="Ches right hand man "][quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="Ches right hand man "]Can we end this thread? Clearly the majority want him and the minority the op doesn''t. [/quote]
[/quote]I like to see your evidence for all of this and what is Guantanamo bay? Clearly you don''t understand what a fascist is. And I am pretty sure Cuba Bolivia Angola all had mixed race people which he supported uprisings in.[/quote]
This is my last response to this (may read and reply to your PM), but just wanted to point out that I am not pro-America and never said that I was, so really don''t see what the significance of Guantanamo Bay is. I find it intriguing that you admire somebody who would never have allowed his people the freedom that you are enjoying right now, which is the freedom of uncensored expression of opinion. I do want to point out that the UK has its very own Guantanamo though, that''s Camp Bastion, where people have also been detained for years without trial and subjected to torture, so don''t be being too critical of American foreign policy when our own government and forces are engaged in the same activity. 

This whole thing may be immaterial soon - apparently Napoli are interested in Quagliarella, who is a native to Naples and fan of the club. Juve may not want to sell to a rival, but it certainly throws a huge spanner in the works for Norwich.

Also, as Giaccherini was only £6.5m I''m even more convinced the figures coming from the Italian press are wrong. The press there is even crazier the UK press for transfer rumours so very hard to get reliable news (which of course throws everything into doubt).

[quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote]

Is Quaglierella a better player than Toivonen? Yes, almost certainly. [/quote]

I''m not really convinced that we can be sure of this. He may be technically better, but I doubt he would be any more effective. I think Toivonen is built perfectly for the Premier League and his ability in the air would be really valuable to a team who have just lost Grant Holt. 

If we ended up with Quaglierella and Van Wolfswinkel then I''d be a little worried about our lack of aerial strength, especially when we have the potential to be really dangerous from set pieces with Pilkington and Snodgrass in the team. 

Seen all of Van Wolfswinkel''s goals, just watched about thirty of Quaglierella''s goals, and both score lots with their feet and hardly ever with their head. A player like Toivonen could be our Tim Cahill or Clint Dempsey. 

[/quote]

I don''t think we are disagreeing. Quagliarella is more technically gifted but I am sure as one can be that Toivonen would be effective in the Premier League. Less sure about Quagliarella. Not that is has to be either/or. A quarter of RVW, Quagliarella, Toivonen and Becchio would go down very nicely.

[quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="Ches right hand man "][quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="Ches right hand man "][quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="Ches right hand man "]Can we end this thread? Clearly the majority want him and the minority the op doesn''t. [/quote]
[/quote]I like to see your evidence for all of this and what is Guantanamo bay? Clearly you don''t understand what a fascist is. And I am pretty sure Cuba Bolivia Angola all had mixed race people which he supported uprisings in.[/quote]
This is my last response to this (may read and reply to your PM), but just wanted to point out that I am not pro-America and never said that I was, so really don''t see what the significance of Guantanamo Bay is. I find it intriguing that you admire somebody who would never have allowed his people the freedom that you are enjoying right now, which is the freedom of uncensored expression of opinion. I do want to point out that the UK has its very own Guantanamo though, that''s Camp Bastion, where people have also been detained for years without trial and subjected to torture, so don''t be being too critical of American foreign policy when our own government and forces are engaged in the same activity. 
[/quote]For one that is Castro Cuba not Che''s and I pointed out America because of Americans activities in Cuba, Bolivia and other South American countries at the time. The British government is the yes boy to the American foreign policy if American want to invade we soon follow. And to be fair I think you''re pretty much distorted by Western propaganda. If the people at the top think they can rip off the bottom then they''re not my people and they can feel the wraith of a toppled society.