Sign in to follow this  
Juggy

£8.5m on a 30 year old?

[quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="The Pinkun Role Model"]IMO some fans hang on to every single word that comes out of the club. And take it as gospel truth for ever more.  Through a previous manager we were told this ''young and hungry'' line regularly spun like a mantra.  
Reality is, it''s not necessarily applicable any more.  As Hughton is very well aware I should imagine, quality costs even at this earth shattering grand old age of 30.
[/quote]
Well if age is no issue and everybody gets so excited by Italians then we could of signed Fabrizio Miccoli on a free transfer. The problem isn''t the age, the problem is the extremely high fee. 
[/quote]Surely if he scores 10 goals.Which keeps us in the league..We then earn the TV Money next year from staying up, it''s a very good investment?

[quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="Unhinged Canary"][quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="Unhinged Canary"][quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

Firstly comparisions to players such as Defoe, Hooper, Bent etc. are silly, Quagliarella doesn''t play as a striker sitting on the last defenders shoulder and isn''t a player who ''comes alive in the box''. Norwich brought RvW in for that reason and signing another player like that would be foolish as they would end up trying to be in the same place as each other. It''s like when Becchio and Holt played together, they both tried to make the same runs or occupy the same area of the pitch.

Quagliarealla plays deeper and is as happy creating goals as scoring them and would compliment a striker like Rvw, rather than being direct competition to him. Also, for me, he has the skill that is almost priceless and Norwich have been missing for a while, the ability to be a match winner all on his own. Quagliarella is a player who can create something from absolutely nothing, and as we saw last season Norwich can often struggle for that little piece of inspiration.

The prices being talked about are high for a player of 30 years old, but his wages wouldn''t be out of Norwich''s range (probably around £40k a week, when you consider Olsson was on around £37k a week at Blackburn it gives you a little perspective). Also I imagine the transfer fee would have all the usual apperance fees, additional payments if Norwich aren''t promoted, win a trophy, qualify for Europe etc.

At the end of the day we are talkign about a player who brings a smile to the face and if Norwich are set for a bit of midtable obscurity, then having a little magician on the pitch would be more than welcome (especially when it''s Quagliarella who also has a tremendus work rate). I''ve said it before and I''ll keep saying it, Quagliarella could be Norwich''s Berbatov, the kind of player who makes you look forward to playing Stoke away, because you never know what he might do.

[/quote]
He isn''t the only creative deep lying striker in the world though, Carlos Vela would be perfect as a second striker. 
How did you gain the impression that Olsson was on £37k a week at Blackburn? I''ve just googled ''Martin Olsson £37000'' and there were no results. That is quite a precise figure, care to share where you pulled it from? 
Whilst on the subject of Berbatov, he has signalled his intention to see out the second year of his contract and leave Fulham on a bosman at the end of the season after Fulham paid £5m for him. Nice of him isn''t it. 
[/quote]32 starts, 15 goals, 3 assists for £5m! I wouldn''t be complaining....If he does that again this season, I''d say that was value for money.[/quote]
Yes but we aren''t signing Berbatov the former Golden Boot and proven Premier League striker, and we aren''t paying £5m! 
[/quote]''Nice of him isn''t it'' Meaning your comment was to be viewed from a Fulham perspective, suggesting that that they would be unhappy.No?[/quote]
I see where you are coming from, but you are still attempting to compare Berbatov with Quaggy, and sorry but there really is no comparison. Berbatov was a genuine world class striker at his best. 
[/quote]Did I mention Quag anywhere? No. I was responding to your post. Is it really that hard to grasp?

If Quaggy signs I will get behind him all the way, will forget about the fee, and just look forward to seeing him play. I''m just expressing my personal opinion that over £8.5m (and remember, that bid was apparently rejected) is a lot of money to pay for a striker who is ultimately just a squad player for Juventus (however good they are) and who is no longer in the frame for Italy caps at a time when they don''t really have any top class strikers other than Balottelli. 
There is a premium on strikers, of course there is, but we just signed a 24 year old Dutch international for £8.5m and Swansea have just signed Wilfried Bony for £12m, so I don''t think the ''strikers premium'' would really justify £8.5m for an almost 31 year old who has scored an average of 9 goals a season in all competitions for the past four seasons. 
I''ve been told that he "sets more up" or "creates more", but his stats seem to suggest 5 assists in three seasons, so not really any evidence of that. Apparently he creates more than Berbatov..... who has 11 assists in the past three seasons. So I don''t know who to believe. 

[quote user="Unhinged Canary"][quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="Unhinged Canary"][quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="Unhinged Canary"][quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

Firstly comparisions to players such as Defoe, Hooper, Bent etc. are silly, Quagliarella doesn''t play as a striker sitting on the last defenders shoulder and isn''t a player who ''comes alive in the box''. Norwich brought RvW in for that reason and signing another player like that would be foolish as they would end up trying to be in the same place as each other. It''s like when Becchio and Holt played together, they both tried to make the same runs or occupy the same area of the pitch.

Quagliarealla plays deeper and is as happy creating goals as scoring them and would compliment a striker like Rvw, rather than being direct competition to him. Also, for me, he has the skill that is almost priceless and Norwich have been missing for a while, the ability to be a match winner all on his own. Quagliarella is a player who can create something from absolutely nothing, and as we saw last season Norwich can often struggle for that little piece of inspiration.

The prices being talked about are high for a player of 30 years old, but his wages wouldn''t be out of Norwich''s range (probably around £40k a week, when you consider Olsson was on around £37k a week at Blackburn it gives you a little perspective). Also I imagine the transfer fee would have all the usual apperance fees, additional payments if Norwich aren''t promoted, win a trophy, qualify for Europe etc.

At the end of the day we are talkign about a player who brings a smile to the face and if Norwich are set for a bit of midtable obscurity, then having a little magician on the pitch would be more than welcome (especially when it''s Quagliarella who also has a tremendus work rate). I''ve said it before and I''ll keep saying it, Quagliarella could be Norwich''s Berbatov, the kind of player who makes you look forward to playing Stoke away, because you never know what he might do.

[/quote]
He isn''t the only creative deep lying striker in the world though, Carlos Vela would be perfect as a second striker. 
How did you gain the impression that Olsson was on £37k a week at Blackburn? I''ve just googled ''Martin Olsson £37000'' and there were no results. That is quite a precise figure, care to share where you pulled it from? 
Whilst on the subject of Berbatov, he has signalled his intention to see out the second year of his contract and leave Fulham on a bosman at the end of the season after Fulham paid £5m for him. Nice of him isn''t it. 
[/quote]32 starts, 15 goals, 3 assists for £5m! I wouldn''t be complaining....If he does that again this season, I''d say that was value for money.[/quote]
Yes but we aren''t signing Berbatov the former Golden Boot and proven Premier League striker, and we aren''t paying £5m! 
[/quote]''Nice of him isn''t it'' Meaning your comment was to be viewed from a Fulham perspective, suggesting that that they would be unhappy.No?[/quote]
I see where you are coming from, but you are still attempting to compare Berbatov with Quaggy, and sorry but there really is no comparison. Berbatov was a genuine world class striker at his best. 
[/quote]Did I mention Quag anywhere? No. I was responding to your post. Is it really that hard to grasp?[/quote]
Well my initial reply to Bethnal Green was related to both Berbatov and Quag. If you want to butt in and take that off course, then perhaps you shoudl ''grasp'' the opportunity to butt off and talk about Berbatov with somebody else. Try the Fulham forum. 

[quote user="TheNewBoy"]
If Quaggy signs I will get behind him all the way, will forget about the fee, and just look forward to seeing him play. I''m just expressing my personal opinion that over £8.5m (and remember, that bid was apparently rejected) is a lot of money to pay for a striker who is ultimately just a squad player for Juventus (however good they are) and who is no longer in the frame for Italy caps at a time when they don''t really have any top class strikers other than Balottelli. 
There is a premium on strikers, of course there is, but we just signed a 24 year old Dutch international for £8.5m and Swansea have just signed Wilfried Bony for £12m, so I don''t think the ''strikers premium'' would really justify £8.5m for an almost 31 year old who has scored an average of 9 goals a season in all competitions for the past four seasons. 
I''ve been told that he "sets more up" or "creates more", but his stats seem to suggest 5 assists in three seasons, so not really any evidence of that. Apparently he creates more than Berbatov..... who has 11 assists in the past three seasons. So I don''t know who to believe. 
[/quote]Must admit, I do have similar fears.Wolfswinkel is young and seems to have committed himself to us straight away.Quag however, doesn''t seem thrilled with the prospect of joining us and perhaps won''t give us the same dedication.He''s still a class player and professional though, so I would hope my fears are wrong and he would perform brilliantly in Yellow and Green

[quote user="Indy"]

V Kadlec Bethnal, at 21 has shed load of experience including European comp & international football. He is exactly the type of player to take on the creative attacking role. Would be cheaper than Quags and wages inside our structure. Additionally he''s only 21 and has the best of his form in front of him.

I''m sounding like his agent now, but there are some good alternatives to Quags.

[/quote]

I have been pushing Kadlec for a long time too and would love him to sign for exactly the reasons you point out,  he is now over his serious injury - but he remains a signing based on future potential over 2-4 years, while Quag is a signing to perform now having performed at a standard above nearly all the mentioned names.

[quote user="ReadingCanary"][quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="The Pinkun Role Model"]IMO some fans hang on to every single word that comes out of the club. And take it as gospel truth for ever more.  Through a previous manager we were told this ''young and hungry'' line regularly spun like a mantra.  
Reality is, it''s not necessarily applicable any more.  As Hughton is very well aware I should imagine, quality costs even at this earth shattering grand old age of 30.
[/quote]
Well if age is no issue and everybody gets so excited by Italians then we could of signed Fabrizio Miccoli on a free transfer. The problem isn''t the age, the problem is the extremely high fee. 
[/quote]Surely if he scores 10 goals.Which keeps us in the league..We then earn the TV Money next year from staying up, it''s a very good investment?[/quote]
Like I said, if we sign him I will look forward to seeing him play. 
But with an average of 8 goals a season in Serie A I wouldn''t put too much money on him scoring 10 in the Premier League. 
Just surprised if anything that we would make a signing like this, but then I suppose an experienced player in a young squad won''t hurt. 
Does anybody know if he can speak English?

As a one off, i''d love Quagliarella here, he''s a real crowd pleaser. My italian friend assures me we''d see 2-3 ''worldies'' every season. He also works hard and barely gives the ball away despite attacking passing skills.

As I understand from the majority of posts on here, Quagliarella plays ''in the hole''. He would play behind RVW yes? So let''s have a little comparison with (31 year old) Wes Hoolahan shall we?

Wes - 176 games for NCFC and 30 goals

Quag - 247 games in serie A and 74 goals. That''s a significantly higher contribution percentagewise (147% more goals in 40% more games)

In terms of assists, last season Wes has been accredited with 3 assists in his 28 starts. Quag has been accredited with 2 assists in 11 starts. It just looks like we are bringing in a better player than what we already have. Let''s not also forget that the guy has 25 Italy caps and with that brings a level of prestige that will only attract a better standard of player to our beloved club! It also opens further commercial avenues in Italy and worldwide (Juve are a huge draw globally, with reportedly over 180 million supporters worldwide in 2005) 

It seems like a sensible move on all fronts and the added commercial benefits should significantly soften the blow if he does turn out to be a flop.

Seems to me that we are looking to pay a Premier League transfer fee for a Premier League player who will be as good for business as I hope he will be on the pitch (IF he signs).

Of course, if he doesn''t sign then I will immediately agree that he is far too old and too expensive!

Italian Press / Juventus Fans / Analysts seems very confused £10m bid was turned down.Some even suggesting it wasn''t and he is actually on his way here now.V interesting.

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]Italian Press / Juventus Fans / Analysts seems very confused £10m bid was turned down.

Some even suggesting it wasn''t and he is actually on his way here now.

V interesting.
[/quote]

There is no way Juve would turn down a straight £8.5m (10m Euro) offer for him - it might have been rejected if it was tied up in lots of clauses etc.

[quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="Unhinged Canary"][quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="Unhinged Canary"][quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="Unhinged Canary"][quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]
[/quote]Did I mention Quag anywhere? No. I was responding to your post. Is it really that hard to grasp?[/quote]
Well my initial reply to Bethnal Green was related to both Berbatov and Quag. If you want to butt in and take that off course, then perhaps you shoudl ''grasp'' the opportunity to butt off and talk about Berbatov with somebody else. Try the Fulham forum. 
[/quote]If you only want to talk to one person, maybe you should look up the words ''Private Message'' & ''Forum'', as you obviously seem to be struggling as to what they mean.Oh, and *should*Moron....

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"][quote user="Indy"]

V Kadlec Bethnal, at 21 has shed load of experience including European comp & international football. He is exactly the type of player to take on the creative attacking role. Would be cheaper than Quags and wages inside our structure. Additionally he''s only 21 and has the best of his form in front of him.

I''m sounding like his agent now, but there are some good alternatives to Quags.

[/quote]

I have been pushing Kadlec for a long time too and would love him to sign for exactly the reasons you point out,  he is now over his serious injury - but he remains a signing based on future potential over 2-4 years, while Quag is a signing to perform now having performed at a standard above nearly all the mentioned names.

[/quote]
I wonder whether Quag is a signing who doesn''t necessarily represent the best value for money in terms of individual ability but who most closely represents how Hughton wants to set out his team next season. In other words, I wonder whether he is being purchased not for his goals (he doesn''t score all that many), or his assists (he doesn''t set up all that many), but for something else about his game which will simply serve to aid the way that Hughton wants everybody else in the squad to play football next season. A little like Swansea, they have their own philosophy and ethos, and they buy players who fit into that. 
Perhaps he has a unique vision for a model which only certain players can for some reason fit. Could be anything, perhaps he is a great passer of the ball who can dictate tempo like Scholes, perhaps he sees him as a second striker in the Hoolahan role who can retain possession, who knows. That''s the only way that it could make sense to me. We can''t be buying him for his goals because if we were we''d be signing somebody else, like Gary Hooper! The truth appears to be that nobody has bloody heard of him and nobody has a clue. I''ve been told by somebody that he creates goals, but that doesn''t appear to be the case. It would be wise for everybody to admit that they just don''t have a clue what he will offer at this stage and just assume that Hughton knows best.
If it weren''t for the fact that Hughton''s only two transfer flops have been strikers, I wouldn''t be worried. A bit harsh to call Becchio a flop, but can hardly call him a roaring success. Kane was a poor piece of judgement. Two bad/pointless signings, both strikers. That probably underlines my concerns about this transfer and the fee involved. 

[quote user="Unhinged Canary"][quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="Unhinged Canary"][quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="Unhinged Canary"][quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="Unhinged Canary"][quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]
[/quote]If you only want to talk to one person, maybe you should look up the words ''Private Message'' & ''Forum'', as you obviously seem to be struggling as to what they mean.Oh, and *should*Moron....[/quote]
Have you got anything to say about Quagliarella or do you just want to carry on being a pedantic prick? 

[quote user="ReadingCanary"][quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="The Pinkun Role Model"]IMO some fans hang on to every single word that comes out of the club. And take it as gospel truth for ever more.  Through a previous manager we were told this ''young and hungry'' line regularly spun like a mantra.  
[/quote]
[/quote]Surely if he scores 10 goals.Which keeps us in the league..We then earn the TV Money next year from staying up, it''s a very good investment?[/quote]I would have used virtually the same argument for not selling Holt. We should never have sold him until we had an adequate, proven in the Prem replacement. Crazy !!!!  We sell Holt for 2m or so and pay 8m for more or less the same, potentially, but nobody knows until he plays, so he could flop. Holt should have been kept at least until January for that reason.

"Norwich have not given up on Fabio Quagliarella (via Panorama)"Uh OhWhy are Panorama getting involved? :pGuess that''s an Italian Magazine not the BBC investigative programme

"Norwich coach Chris Hughton is in Chatillon (Home of Juve''s training

camp) to try & convince Quagliarella to join the Canaries" - Panorama

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="ReadingCanary"][quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="The Pinkun Role Model"]IMO some fans hang on to every single word that comes out of the club. And take it as gospel truth for ever more.  Through a previous manager we were told this ''young and hungry'' line regularly spun like a mantra.  
[/quote]
[/quote]Surely if he scores 10 goals.Which keeps us in the league..We then earn the TV Money next year from staying up, it''s a very good investment?[/quote]I would have used virtually the same argument for not selling Holt. We should never have sold him until we had an adequate, proven in the Prem replacement. Crazy !!!!  We sell Holt for 2m or so and pay 8m for more or less the same, potentially, but nobody knows until he plays, so he could flop. Holt should have been kept at least until January for that reason. [/quote]
I would have said the same thing about Holt, but I''ve bit my tongue because he was clearly unhappy here. I think it was unwise to let him go before a replacement was signed, just in case, but despite still being in my opinion capable of playing at this level...... I''d hate to think of him being unhappy. The video that he made for The Sun was a bit heartbreaking, could see that he wasn''t having the best of times and he has done plenty enough for this club already. 

I like this write up in Tuttosport - a Italian paper that focuses on Juve;

"Immersed in the heat of Chatillon, camouflaged among the two thousand Juventus fans. Chris Hughton, the coach of Norwich, who is described by acquaintances as  kind, determined and decided. When he puts his mind one thing it is almost impossible to stop him. Even taking a private plane in the middle of the summer heat isn''t a barrier. Even Fabio Quagliarella noticed it, who after the various advances met the English coach yesterday in person. Hughton, with the permission of his club, tired to convince the Neapolitan striker to follow to the UK. A good twenty minutes of interview, during which the manager of Norwich showed off all his dialectic. The gist of it was more or less this: "Fabio, come on! I want to build a team around you. You''ll see that you will not regret: the Premier League is the most beautiful and you have everything to become the idol of our fans. "Quagliarella has listened intrigued, but wasn''t decided either one way or another. His desire at the time, would still be the one to stay at Juventus."

[quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="lincoln canary"]How old is robin van persie?[/quote]
How many times has Fabio Quagliarella scored 30 goals in a season? 
[/quote]

The point was the age. Nothing really in it. And anyway he might not have scored 30 goals a season but he''s less than a 1/3 of the van persie fee. So all in all the deal sounds about right.

"during which the manager of Norwich showed off all his dialectic"
This bit is hilarious, particularly as Hughton says ten words for every one that is necessary in press conferences. Can just imagine Hughton showing off his vocabulary. I wonder whether it had to go through a translator though, would quite like to know whether Quag speaks English. 

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="lincoln canary"]How old is robin van persie?[/quote]
[/quote]

The point was the age. Nothing really in it. And anyway he might not have scored 30 goals a season but he''s less than a 1/3 of the van persie fee. So all in all the deal sounds about right.[/quote]
I''m not completely against the idea of signing him, not even for the huge fee, just taken me by surprise. I guess Hughton just feels that an experienced head or two is needed. Our squad is one of the youngest in the league, and we have just lost a big personality from the dressing room. But that would only make sense if he speaks English as otherwise he will struggle with the banter.... 
The only player that I can think of who is likely to be able to speak Italian is Javier Garrido, wonder whether that will cause him problems and make it hard for him to settle. He''d have to learn some English! 

[quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="lincoln canary"]How old is robin van persie?[/quote]
[/quote]

The point was the age. Nothing really in it. And anyway he might not have scored 30 goals a season but he''s less than a 1/3 of the van persie fee. So all in all the deal sounds about right.[/quote]
I''m not completely against the idea of signing him, not even for the huge fee, just taken me by surprise. I guess Hughton just feels that an experienced head or two is needed. Our squad is one of the youngest in the league, and we have just lost a big personality from the dressing room. But that would only make sense if he speaks English as otherwise he will struggle with the banter.... 
The only player that I can think of who is likely to be able to speak Italian is Javier Garrido, wonder whether that will cause him problems and make it hard for him to settle. He''d have to learn some English! 
[/quote]

Yeah I guess that''s a big difference. Van persie was obviously fluent with English language and culture so signing him was less of a risk in that regard. At 30 he may well struggle to learn a new language, however conversely he may see it as an ideal opportunity to be bilingual and improve his chances of football after retirement.

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="lincoln canary"]How old is robin van persie?[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah I guess that''s a big difference. Van persie was obviously fluent with English language and culture so signing him was less of a risk in that regard. At 30 he may well struggle to learn a new language, however conversely he may see it as an ideal opportunity to be bilingual and improve his chances of football after retirement.[/quote]

*improve his chances of employment after football!

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="lincoln canary"]How old is robin van persie?[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah I guess that''s a big difference. Van persie was obviously fluent with English language and culture so signing him was less of a risk in that regard. At 30 he may well struggle to learn a new language, however conversely he may see it as an ideal opportunity to be bilingual and improve his chances of football after retirement.[/quote]

*improve his chances of employment after football![/quote]
I doubt he needs to worry too much about finding employment after football. 

As I mentioned on the other thread, Italian number 10''s (like Quag) tend to play into their late 30''s, such as del Piero, Zola, Mancini, Totti, Baggio, di Canio and even di Natale. Their game is more intelligent and not as relient on pace so they dont get burnt out as early. Of course Quag may not be in their class but he is a similar type of player so we may get many good years out of him. As somebody previously mentioned, these type of Italian players often peak in their 30''s so Hughton might be onto a winner.

It baffles me, 4 years ago we were preparing to play in League 1 and today we are being linked with Italian internationals, and some of our fans find a reason to be dissatisfied with it? Surely these types of signings are what captures our imagination as football fans?

Put it this way, yes 8.5m is quite a lot of money to spend but it''s not your money. It''s the clubs money which is being monitored by the careful and wise eye of David McNally. Do you think he''d let the transfer happen if it wasn''t good for the club? No, he wouldn''t. Quagliarella is a class senior player who the youth could learn from, he could extend our global appeal and most importantly, his goals and general role in our attack could earn us prize money far in excess of his transfer fee and wages. It''s a calculated risk.

I know some people here want younger player then Quag and I fully understand this viewpoint but we have just lost Holt who was a senior player, so tbh I actually think we need an old head to replace him such as Quag.

Former Itallian internationals as pointed out not played in 3 years.

None of us on here know how good he is, we don''t watch him play every week and to keep comparing him to the likes of Zola, Baggio and such is criminal as he''s not that quality!

You say yourself that his game is not reliant on pace  and that might be so in Italy but in the premeirship you don''t have the luxury of time on the ball, you have players in your face, hunting the ball.

Funny that only a few of us have uncertainties with this signing if it happens yet everyone else appears to be so convinced of how good he is and how he will change our style! I wait in anticipation if he comes.

I think this is very exciting. We haven''t had a Drazen Muzinic-style signing - ie risking loads of money on a highly-touted multi-capped international with no sell-on value who has never played club football outside his native country and may have trouble assimilating himself into English culture - since, well, Drazen Muzinic!

[quote user="Jack Flash"]Just worth reminding ourselves that Van Persie will be 30 yrs old in less than 3 weeks time![/quote]
Van Persie was Arsenals top scorer for four years out of five, Premier League golden boot winner, PFA Players player of the year, PFA fans player of the year, two time Arsenal player of the year, and a world cup runner up having scored over 30 international goals. He is widely considered to be one of the best strikers in the world and has scored more goals for Holland than Marco Van Basten. 
To use his age when discussing whether we should sign a player that most of us had never heard of three weeks ago who for a while was a squad player for Italy and has never scored 15 goals in Seria A is both pointless and completely futile. The two are just not in the same league.