Sign in to follow this  
Juggy

Bafetimbi Gomis

Newcastle for £7m apparently. 
This is an absolutely top class striker, 27 and known as ''mini Drogba'', although at 6ft he is hardly mini. Last two seasons have been his best, goal in every two. 
Exactly the type of striker that I would love to see us sign. It is likely that the move would be very difficult to hijack, but wonder whether his arrival at Newcastle would see Papiss Cisse being allowed to leave? 
Cisse has pulled out of a pre-season training camp and gone AWOL because Newcastle won''t compromise in allowing him not to wear the Wonga logo on his shirt. 
He shouldn''t have any issues with wearing our shirt, as Aviva offer sharia insurance policies: http://www.cimbaviva.com/takaful_products.html
The list of clubs that Cisse probably wouldn''t want to play for includes:
Aston Villa (Dafabet)
Everton (Chang beer)
Fulham (Marathon bet)
Hull City (Cash Converters)
Stoke (Bet365)
Swansea (Forex)
West Ham (Forex)
Could there be the potential for a wee bargain with Cisse? 

I was idly wondering about Cisse this morning. The thought of him and Ricky upfront is quite appealing.

How can this guy be called ''absolutely top class'' with stats of fewer than one goal in three games (St Etienne 161 apps, 47 goals, Lyon 142 and 50)? I''m playing deivils advocate to an extent, but only partly - he may be pretty decent, can''t surely be classed as ''absolutely top class'' by any measure.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]How can this guy be called ''absolutely top class'' with stats of fewer than one goal in three games (St Etienne 161 apps, 47 goals, Lyon 142 and 50)? I''m playing deivils advocate to an extent, but only partly - he may be pretty decent, can''t surely be classed as ''absolutely top class'' by any measure.[/quote]
Why are you only counting domestic league goals? If you count goals in all competitions including Europe his strike rate is not "fewer than one goal in three games", it is more like 1 in 2.90.
But he is 27 and he just completed his 10th senior season, so you are including games which he played as a 17 and 18 year old. Not the fairest assessment. Makes more sense to judge him on the player that he is now, and in the last two seasons he has 45 goals in 93. During the same period Ricky Van Wolfswinkel managed 45 in 87. 
Not sure how you would definite ''top class'' but by Norwich standards, I think it would be an applicable description don''t you? Not that strikers should be judged solely on their strike rate, Dennis Bergkamp had a strike rate of 1 in 2.71 but we can be pretty sure that he was a better player than Jermaine Defoe (1 in 2.44). 

So a goal every 2.9 games is ''top class''? Really??....perhaps you should watch the youtube of Quag if you want to see a good striker.....but then he seems to be one you don''t want.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]So a goal every 2.9 games is ''top class''? Really??....perhaps you should watch the youtube of Quag if you want to see a good striker.....but then he seems to be one you don''t want.[/quote]
Surely we have just determined that it is not wise to base a strikers ability on the basis of their strike rate? I just told you that Bergkamp scored less per game than Jermaine Defoe, isn''t that proof enough? Gomis has a better strike record than Eric Cantona, that doesn''t mean that I''m going to claim that Gomis is better than Cantona. 
You are saying that Gomis isn''t a quality attacking player because he has a career record of 1 in 2.9, and then tell me to go and look at videos of a good striker who has 1 in 3.24.  
I see no point in continuing this ridiculous stats based argument. I''ve never seen this Quags man play, hadn''t even really heard of him. If you have then great. But I''ve seen Gomis play on many occasions and he is a quality player who has been scoring goals in the Champions league for five years and holds the record for the fastest every champions league hat-trick. End of.
You have defeated yourself in this debate by writing off a player on the basis of his goalscoring record and the suggesting one who scores less goals. I don''t understand your logic and therefore withdraw from the thread. 

Would rather get this back on topic, which was whether we could and/or should look into the prospect of signing Pappis Cisse. NOT whether we should sign Bafetimbi Gomis. 

''Defeated myself?'' I really don''t think so. You stated someone is ''absolutely top class'' which I consider to be debateable at best, that is all. You clearly don''t see the other point I was making about the use of youtube, it can make anyone look great or crap.

...and who on earth do you think you are dictating who and what people can and can''t discuss on "your" threads? You do not own them, FFS, this is a discussion forum.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]''Defeated myself?'' I really don''t think so. You stated someone is ''absolutely top class'' which I consider to be debateable at best, that is all. You clearly don''t see the other point I was making about the use of youtube, it can make anyone look great or crap.[/quote]
Yes it can, even Chris Martin looks Premier League class in one video.
But like I have already told you, I''ve seen Gomis play many times in the Champions League and two years ago witnessed the fastest hat-trick in Champions League history. I''ve never seen Quag play, and you were the one who told me to watch him in a YouTube video.
You are still taking this thread off-topic though, which asked the question of whether we should consider Pappis Cisse. You don''t seem to have an opinion either way on that, if you do then you haven''t offered it.
I believe Gomis to be a top quality player, irrespective of how you define ''top quality player''. I don''t care how you define it, it isn''t actually immediately clear whether you have ever seen him play or whether you have just looked at a list of numbers on wikipedia. Judging by your argument so far, you seem to be basing your opinion of Gomis on a list of numbers on wikipedia and your opinion on Quags on a youtube video. 
All I''m saying is that if you think a list of numbers on wikipedia is a suitable means of judging a players ability, then perhaps you should consider the form from his last two seasons (45 goals in 93 games for Lyon) rather than judging a 27 year old on how good he was when he was 17, 18, 19, and 20. 

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]...and who on earth do you think you are dictating who and what people can and can''t discuss on "your" threads? You do not own them, FFS, this is a discussion forum.[/quote]
I''ve been told myself to keep threads on topic. It is written in the forum rules. 
Who on earth do you think you are to not have to comply with the same rule that the rest of us get reminded of? 
But I wouldn''t have started a thread asking for opinions Pappis Cisse if I thought I was going to get an idiot using wikipedia stats to argue about a completely different player who is moving to a completely different club.
You wanted to argue about the definition of ''top quality player''. A completely subjective phrase which means one thing to one person, and one thing to another. I''m not going to change what it means to me, and you aren''t going to change what it means to you. 

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]....you set up a thread called "Bafetimbi Gomis" in order to discuss Pappis Cisse and then don''t like it when it goes ''off course''? Hmm.[/quote]
Your levels of reading comprehension are not my responsibility, and if you are over the age of 18 then they are not the responsibility of the state or your parents either. Stop being so damn pedantic. 

[quote user="Herman "]Why have Gomis for the title if you want to talk about Cisse?[/quote]
Because his arrival at Newcastle could signal the departure of Pappis Cisse. Blimey, not many of you were ever going to be NASA material where you. 
Do people only respond to thread titles in this place? The text area below the thread title is the post content, it is supposed to be read, digested, and then responded to. The first couple of respondents managed to understand it quite clearly. I wonder whether the literacy rate of the pinkun is higher or lower than the national average. Lower I hope. 

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]As I say, if you are so desperate to discuss the merits of Cisse, perhaps you might consider indicating that in the subject title!!![/quote]
Well I can''t change it now can I, and twice I have asked whether we can discuss Pappis Cisse.
Probably isn''t worth me asking for a third time. 

....our posts crossed in the ether, but thanks Herman - it isn''t just me! I wasn''t being overly pedantic, just thought it was odd to big up someone to discuss someone else....quite why we couldn''t go for this Gomis if he is the bees knees I''m not sure.

For the record, Cisse might be a fairly good shout.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]....our posts crossed in the ether, but thanks Herman - it isn''t just me! I wasn''t being overly pedantic, just thought it was odd to big up someone to discuss someone else....quite why we couldn''t go for this Gomis if he is the bees knees I''m not sure.

For the record, Cisse might be a fairly good shout.[/quote]
Well the title can''t be changed now, what''s done is done. 
It will be interesting to see where Cisse ends up, as he limits his options somewhat if he has become picky over how ethical a sponsor is.
I mean, no big businesses are exactly whiter than white, where do you draw the line? Alcohol, gambling, loan companies, dating sites. 

Heh well what comes to Cisse he seems to be quite of an attitude player. At his best he does something out of ordinary and scores from impossible angles, but at worse days he wont hit between posts even if given good ammount of chances.

Good player and definently better in talent wise than few other we have been linked.

Too bad we weren''t linked for Gomis. Great player with loads of pace, one hell of a shot and good work rate. Fun player to watch. Would give Wolfie some real competition for starting place.

[quote user="Lavanche"]Heh well what comes to Cisse he seems to be quite of an attitude player. At his best he does something out of ordinary and scores from impossible angles, but at worse days he wont hit between posts even if given good ammount of chances.

Good player and definently better in talent wise than few other we have been linked.

Too bad we weren''t linked for Gomis. Great player with loads of pace, one hell of a shot and good work rate. Fun player to watch. Would give Wolfie some real competition for starting place.[/quote]
I certainly rate Gomis as better than Cisse.... but at least Cisse is proven as decent in this league. Would prefer him to Maxi Gomez! 
It would be an amazing signing by Newcastle if they pull it off, and Lambert was said to be interested (if Benteke left).
Not forgetting that we have made an amazing signing ourselves of course, Ricky Van Wolfswinkel, but we still need another quality striker if we are to progress.