Sign in to follow this  
Skerritt

Murphy vs Sterling

I know it''s very early on in Murphys career and he only played against a weak team but could he compare with Raheem sterling. From what I''ve seen he seems more confident on the ball than sterling and has a better shot but sterling seems less greedy and has a better delivery of the ball. Either way I feel we have a talented player on our hands.

I wouldn''t get too excited about a goal that was taken with plenty of room and even more time to shoot and with no hint of pressure from the defense.

I agree, but most pro players can do that often enough with no pressure coming at them. I wouldn''t appoint him to the England team just yet. But certainly it''s better he made it than sent it into the stands.

I really struggle when some on this board try to downgrade Murphys goal , yes lets not get carried away with one brilliant shot but saying any pro could do it against weak oppo is really a joke. Why were the rest of our attack just not popping them in then.

To me is was as good as Howsons against WBA and from someone so young shows real talent, even Hughton got excited.

The Murphys remind me so much of the Fashinu lads of my day and I really think they could be that good but I am well aware at least half such young talent just goes wrong in development.

I do believe though that age should not be a factor in access to first team squad and as one manager used to say if he is good enough he plays whatever age he is.

[quote user="CJ"]I really struggle when some on this board try to downgrade Murphys goal , yes lets not get carried away with one brilliant shot but saying any pro could do it against weak oppo is really a joke. Why were the rest of our attack just not popping them in then. [/quote]

The proof of the pudding will be when he does it against premiership opposition.   He was given too much room, yes, but it was a super finish, nevertheless.   He''s stepped up to the first team and scored so what more could we ask?  Its a confidence builder for both him and Becchio to have scored, it will make them both feel happier within themselves that they are on the right track. 

The fact that they have not been written about is probably because the Murphys play at CR rather than Anfield, but it was obvious from the recent youth cup run that well informed commentators know about their prowess.

It''s difficult to compare youngsters who play at different clubs and with different colleagues, but what does seem likely is that if they continue to develop then representatives from the big boys will be sniffing around soon, if they haven''t already, with offers to dazzle - money, first team appearances, etc. CH and company will have to be very canny to hang on to them!

He is still some way off first team football but a very promising prospect who might see some game time towards the end of the season if we are comfortable. In terms of the strike, yes hardly quality defence but it''s a stunning finish that would see him score in most leagues... It''s just would he get the opening in the top flight.? One for the future and the twins are possibly one of the most exciting prospects the academy has produced.

Hughton says the Murphy lads need to develop yet. I think they''ll be in the youth set up for another season, go out on loan 14/15 season then depending on how they do hit the main squad in the 15/16 season.

But then I remember posting something similar about the Jarvis brothers years ago.

[quote user="CJ"]To me is was as good as Howsons against WBA and from someone so young shows real talent, .[/quote]

Not even close.

Howson''s goal came after he played 90 minutes in the heart of the action against a very solid Premier League outfit. He still had enough about him after 90mins to make that forward break and execute a stunning finish.

Murphy scored after like 1 or 2 minutes against coming on against far weaker opposition. He was fresh and they allowed him plenty of time and space.

But he does look a talented lad.

[quote user="Jonzey"]Hughton says the Murphy lads need to develop yet. I think they''ll be in the youth set up for another season, go out on loan 14/15 season then depending on how they do hit the main squad in the 15/16 season. But then I remember posting something similar about the Jarvis brothers years ago.[/quote]

While I think the Murphy lads have got a way to go I do think they have a shot.

I never rated the Jarvis brothers (and several other youth players) which was an unpopular view at the time with plenty of people telling me I was wrong.

But I definitely think Jacob and Josh have got a bit more about them. Not that I''m any authority but for me it''s nice to see some lads with a bit of talent rather than a bunch of very ordinary young players that will get ridiculously overrated by some fans.