Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Week Commencing 22/07/2013

Sooo...

Quick straw poll.

Will we make a signing this week.

If you say yes, indicate who.

I however am in the ''no'' camp. It appears we have hit a crossroads in our search for a striker.

I bet Hooper, Barnes and Lopez all want to join us, but we are after someone better, who isn''t sure on us.

Thus the waiting game. The imminent transfers (or stay/ go sagas) of Rooney, Suarez, Higuain, etc will likely spill down to our level.

I sincerely hope that there is some incoming activity this week in the striker department.

I don;t care if we are still 5 weeks to the start of the season the decision to sell Holt without having a replacement striker signed, sealed and delivered is starting to look more and more wreckless with every week that passes by. I am sure we will end up signing someone before the start of the season and McNally will make out that it was never in doubt and always under control but I am a bit uncomfortable with the position we have allowed ourselves to fall into (namely only having 2 senior strikers on our books a month before the new season starts) given our complete inability to sign strikers in both the last 2 transfer windows.

We are doing a lot of things right this summer transfer wise so i hope this strategy on the strikers does not come back to bite us on the backside.

Other clubs and their players do not exist for us. They have every right to be reluctant, and to keep delaying until they see their advantage. It goes with freedom. For our part it may be infuriating and frustrating. We can either offer more money, but even Chelsea couldn''t sign Ruddy, or we can look elsewhere.

Part of our frustration this year was caused by players being on late international duty and then holiday, and partly on the fact that we are an unknown quantity and trying to sign players as cheaply as possible.

I think it quite possible that there will be no signing this week, or even next week. Often a problem arises when it becomes known that you have made a bid, which influences other clubs to consider the player you are pursuing, and the selling club to consider an auction in connivance with the player.

If reports are to be believed, we have interest in a number of players, and we have not been definitively rejected even by the one or two who have seemed to have rejected us. It could be a long six weeks before the window closes!

[quote user="Jim Smith"]I sincerely hope that there is some incoming activity this week in the striker department.

I don;t care if we are still 5 weeks to the start of the season the decision to sell Holt without having a replacement striker signed, sealed and delivered is starting to look more and more wreckless with every week that passes by. I am sure we will end up signing someone before the start of the season and McNally will make out that it was never in doubt and always under control but I am a bit uncomfortable with the position we have allowed ourselves to fall into (namely only having 2 senior strikers on our books a month before the new season starts) given our complete inability to sign strikers in both the last 2 transfer windows.

We are doing a lot of things right this summer transfer wise so i hope this strategy on the strikers does not come back to bite us on the backside.[/quote]

I agree entirely with this post, and my growing concern over the lack of priority in signing up decent strikers to move us forward. What worries me is the complete opposite approach to the defence and midfield where we have most poitions covered by at least two if nnot three experienced pros.

This is good for competition etc but look at the striker dept. and we have RVW and Becchio and that is it unless you go into youth squad! Sorry that is ridiculous especially when you consider getting quality strikers is very hard and very expensive usually, but hughton has left this task to last. Also presumably coffers are running low too, hence Hooper deal stalling. After last season you would have thought priority would be frontline, I know we have RVW but we have lost Holt. Ideally new strikeforce would be working together now in training and pre season matches.

Longer this drags on I fear another season of one up front ie RVW with Becchio on bench. I hope I am wrong, but my bet is a last minute loanee after failed bids

No, I think not. Many names have been mentioned, but there has not been any concrete feedback...ie press, internet, twatter,...

CJ wrote: "Longer this drags on I fear another season of one up front ie RVW with Becchio on bench. I hope I am wrong, but my bet is a last minute loanee after failed bids "

That''s what I''m fearing for too...another Harry Kane...no thanks!

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]CJ wrote: "Longer this drags on I fear another season of one up front ie RVW with Becchio on bench. I hope I am wrong, but my bet is a last minute loanee after failed bids " That''s what I''m fearing for too...another Harry Kane...no thanks![/quote]

Jeezus...........I bloody well hope not![:''(]

We probably will be playing one up front even if we do sign more strikers...

People do realise this right? 4-4-2 is more or less dead

[quote user="CJ"][quote user="Jim Smith"]I sincerely hope that there is some incoming activity this week in the striker department.

We are doing a lot of things right this summer transfer wise so i hope this strategy on the strikers does not come back to bite us on the backside.[/quote]

I agree entirely with this post, and my growing concern over the lack of priority in signing up decent strikers to move us forward. What worries me is the complete opposite approach to the defence and midfield where we have most poitions covered by at least two if nnot three experienced pros.

This is good for competition etc but look at the striker dept. and we have RVW and Becchio and that is it unless you go into youth squad! Sorry that is ridiculous especially when you consider getting quality strikers is very hard and very expensive usually, but hughton has left this task to last. Also presumably coffers are running low too, hence Hooper deal stalling. After last season you would have thought priority would be frontline, I know we have RVW but we have lost Holt. Ideally new strikeforce would be working together now in training and pre season matches.

Longer this drags on I fear another season of one up front ie RVW with Becchio on bench. I hope I am wrong, but my bet is a last minute loanee after failed bids[/quote]

I think there is a bit if a hysteria here! What gives you the idea that funds are running low? We seem ti have offered £6M apiece for Toby & Quag so presumably there is still decent some of cash knocking around. Clearly we need reinforcements up front & the sooner these arrive the better. We may have to wait on other transfers before we can aquire our targets - it may drag out to deadline day. I have a sneaky feeling that Toby may come on deadline day if no other offers particularly if we start with a couple of wins.

Norwich need one striker and one player who can play in the ''Number 10'' role and also play up front - this is why players such as Toivonen, Quagliarella and Maxi Lopez are all being considered. All those players can operate as a striker or a secondary striker (for lack of a better word).

Getting a player like Hooper or Dame N''Doye would be a direct clash with RvW or Becchio - all thise players will be looking to occupy the same area of the pitch without offering a lot outside of the box. There will be no new transfers whilst Norwich are in the USA, although work can obviously be done in the background - but with McNally and Hughton both in America at the moment I imagine things are on the back burner until the club return.

One bad injury on RVW and boy are we in the brown stuff![:S]

I understand starting formations etc may well indicate we only need 2 strikers, but my main concern is after say 60 minutes. Who do we have that is dangerous enough to come off the bench and change the game? The Murphys are too raw it seems and the likes of Jackson, Vaughan etc would make reasonably decent options of someone quick who can score the odd goal. This is what we need to replace.

For me, Holt has been replaced, what we haven''t done is replace Jackson, Vaughan, Kamara, Martin. I want to look at the 7 men on the bench and see at least a winger, an attacking mid/ second striker and an out and out pacy striker or a physically strong striker.

Remember when Wilbrahimovic was here, he was utterly useless at putting the ball in the back of the net, but when we were defending points or reduced to lumping the ball forwards, he was ideal to being on as a second or third striker.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]I understand starting formations etc may well indicate we only need 2 strikers, but my main concern is after say 60 minutes. Who do we have that is dangerous enough to come off the bench and change the game? [/quote]

I don''t think anyone is suggesting we only need two strikers for the season - although I don''t think Norwich need 4 out and out strikers. There are very few teams outside of the top 5 or 6 who can have the luxury of a top quality striker sitting on the bench. Having a secondary goal-scorer to RvW is vital, but that should be a player who is in the team every week, someone like Quagliarella, who can play alongside RvW and not only score goals but provide the service to others.

Players like Hooper etc, aren''t that player.

Hamburg are to offer £6m for jelavic, he''s 27 and has an eye for goal! What do you lot think of him? I think we should gove Lopez a miss, hooper saga is taking the pi$$ now and quagliarellla looks to much money for his age.... Just a thought?

James Nursey reporting that lokomotiv Moscow are being difficult about N''Doye. For £10m I don''t think we will be pursuing this option further unless they drop asking price.

Sure there will be new names mentioned this week- wouldn''t be surprised if Toivonen still happens but all depends on whether other reported teams (WBA Fulham) are going to take their interest further. Looking like us signing him would only come to fruition on deadline day

Always refreshing to see BYAG intervene on these types of thread with his logic and common sense. Although I don''t think even he has a large enough supply of dry pants to hand around.

It was mentioned that both RVW and Hooper would remain summer targets after we were rebuffed in January. This may have been before RVW agreed to join though and perhaps Hooper was plan B

I suspect that our A list has been used up and we are now waiting to see if any of them will review the offer and decide to sign.

I think we won''t see any additions until week starting the 5th August and it will be a loan deal for one of Lukaku/Betdner/Wickham/TBC.

I do believe that there will be a couple more epartures before 1st August, Barnett & Fox is my geuss.

I am not too worried about the lack of movement on strikers at the moment, the team, manager and chief exec are in America and we seem to have laid our cards on the table at the moment with regards to our targets, for all we know other clubs maybe waiting on signing someone else to allow our deal to go through but it''s pretty much done.

We have been casting the net far and wide and have made some pretty inspirational signings thus far, deals take time and we can''t have our cake AND then ask for more cake, they take time to bake.

Do I think we will sign someone this week? Maybe, who knows, certainly not us. BUT, if we don''t I am sure it will be worth the wait.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

There will be no new transfers whilst Norwich are in the USA, although work can obviously be done in the background - but with McNally and Hughton both in America at the moment I imagine things are on the back burner until the club return.

[/quote]

....and who knows, they may return with a Kei Kamara in tow.....[;)]

Anyone else think that the Hooper situation quieting down over the last few days has coincided with us in the States? Surely if he was going to QPR (or anywhere else) that would still be happening and we would be hearing about it?

I think Hooper will sign once we get back from America. As long as he goes somewhere soon, the whole saga is doing my head in.

[quote user="ABC A Basingstoke Canary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

There will be no new transfers whilst Norwich are in the USA, although work can obviously be done in the background - but with McNally and Hughton both in America at the moment I imagine things are on the back burner until the club return.

[/quote]

....and who knows, they may return with a Kei Kamara in tow.....[;)]

[/quote]

I really hope not...

We will announce the signing of Bradford''s Nahki Wells a week today i.e. next Monday, followed finally by Toivonen the following Friday.

And before you all get up in arms, this is only a guess.

One I''d be quite happy with, mind you.

Plenty of time yet and in answer to the OP I suspect we wont get another signing until next week given the team are playing weds night in USA.   If we get to within 5 days of the window closing a mild panic is probably warranted - but 5 weeks?   Have you seen how good our window has been compared to other teams? 

We have plenty of known options and without a doubt the clubs list of options is longer still.  Unlike last year we have a decent budget and will use it.   Under no circumstances will we start the season with less than 3 strikers on the books, although I have suspected for a while the 4th ( and I am also sure we will get a 4th) may wait until nearer the window closing.

As far as Kamara is concerned while he may have been the best striker we had between Feb and April  he wont be coming back;   we have swept the striking department clean to upgrade - as the players we are targeting clearly show.

Patience.