Sign in to follow this  
pete

Wot no Hooper move

Jim - I think this is a fair point. For whatever reason we failed to get the strikers we wanted in the last two transfer windows. Having sold Holt and arguably needing at least two strikers, it must be a priority to get Hooper or the like in as soon as possible. If the market price for him is indeed £5m then that is what we''ll have to pay.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

Jim do you really think that if Hooper was a must have for Hughton he would still be a Celtic player?

Whatever else is going on, it is clear that Hooper is a like not a need. Of course we could lose him following the current strategy but that just tells us that McNally has a price and that whilst we would like Hooper, he is not so important that we will exceed that price.

[/quote]

That is why Hooper will not come here, he will want to join a club that really wants him not messes around like this. Suspect he will either stay put or go to QPR to get guaranteed place in team.

Arguably forward wise we are no better off, if not worse than January being without any backup strikers who have all moved on. It is interesting that from the squad we have lost Martin, Vaughan, Jackson and Holt, only to replace one so far. Yet we release our third choice keeper and replace him asap.

Hughton just keeps giving the message of where his true priority lies

[quote user="CJ"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

Jim do you really think that if Hooper was a must have for Hughton he would still be a Celtic player?

Whatever else is going on, it is clear that Hooper is a like not a need. Of course we could lose him following the current strategy but that just tells us that McNally has a price and that whilst we would like Hooper, he is not so important that we will exceed that price.

[/quote]

That is why Hooper will not come here, he will want to join a club that really wants him not messes around like this. Suspect he will either stay put or go to QPR to get guaranteed place in team.

Arguably forward wise we are no better off, if not worse than January being without any backup strikers who have all moved on. It is interesting that from the squad we have lost Martin, Vaughan, Jackson and Holt, only to replace one so far. Yet we release our third choice keeper and replace him asap.

Hughton just keeps giving the message of where his true priority lies[/quote]

This is a specious argument up there with the time the wife gives you two shirts for Christmas and when you put one on she asks "What was wrong with the other one?".

There is no rule of football or common sense that says you have to buy players in a particular order. It''s about opportunity not priorities. Of course we will buy a striker or two. There is plenty of evidence that deals are being attempted. As I said, if Hooper was considered essential he would be here. He is clearly attractive on the right deal and not attractive on the wrong one.

Incidentally, thank you for the insight into Hooper''s thinking. You obviously know him quite well. One thought occurs to me though; if he will only go to a club that will guarantee him first team football, he cannot have much faith in his ability or his chances of getting on in a competitive environment. I''d want someone with more ambition and more self belief than that.

Failure to sign Hooper would be gross negli......catostr...........irrespons............on bugger!.....you get my drift.[:@]

The price for Hooper will drop and drop as the close of the transfer window gets closer, if he doesn''t leave this summer he''ll either sign for club for around £1m in January or a free in summer 2014.

As Norwich only need a back-up striker to RvW they can afford to wait on the Hooper signing - for whatever reason there doesn''t seem to be many teams in for him at the moment, maybe due to Celtic being very difficult to deal with or possibly other clubs are also waiting for the end of the month as well. It will be a little bit of a cat and mouse game for a while with things suddenly happening if someone steps forward with a genuine interest.

Whether Hooper wants to come to Norwich to be a back-up player is another question - he may fancy somewhere like Hull where he would probably be first choice.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]QPR can afford him and offer decent wages but he obviously does not want to go there. We can afford him and offer decent wages and he wants to come here. But he''s not here, is he? What does that tell you?[/quote]

It tells me McNally didn''t like having his chain pulled back and forth in January and now, given that he knows the same thing as you appear to know, if Hooper is to come to Norwich it will be on our terms or not at all. He will not play Celtic''s game again. Once bitten twice shy. What does it tell you Joanna?

[/quote]

Careful! You''ll have that YankeeCanary on at you for stating opinions as FACT!!!!Seriously, Yankee, (and Jim) if anyone was messing McNally about in January it was McNally himself. We were desperate for a striker (RVW having been priced out of our range) while Celtic, with Juve coming up, had no reason to sell their star stiker with 18 months left on his contract. (as McNally admitted recently).But we insulted Celtic''s intelligence by starting with absurdly low offers. This must be the case since we made at least four offers, and only reached £7m with the last of them. Yet we must have known that we would have to pay over the odds, and a price like that. We knew that Celtic knew that we were desperate, and it was January, when prices are inflated anyway.The likelier explanation for this saga is that Hughton isn''t convinced that he wants Hooper. I think that in an ideal world he would still get Quagliarella (or possibly Lopez) and Toivonen as his two other strikers/attackers. Two deals that have stalled but never officially been scrapped. Particularly Toivonen since he gives the option of an old-fashioned target man (and so the replacement for Holt) but doesn''t waste a squad place on someone who can only play there.

[quote user="Jim Smith"] I do worry occasionally that whilst its undoubtedly overwhelmingly been a good thing for the club, his hard nosed attitude can occasionally be counterproductive.[/quote]

You''re most certainly not alone in that opinion.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

The price for Hooper will drop and drop as the close of the transfer window gets closer, if he doesn''t leave this summer he''ll either sign for club for around £1m in January or a free in summer 2014.

As Norwich only need a back-up striker to RvW they can afford to wait on the Hooper signing - for whatever reason there doesn''t seem to be many teams in for him at the moment, maybe due to Celtic being very difficult to deal with or possibly other clubs are also waiting for the end of the month as well. It will be a little bit of a cat and mouse game for a while with things suddenly happening if someone steps forward with a genuine interest.

Whether Hooper wants to come to Norwich to be a back-up player is another question - he may fancy somewhere like Hull where he would probably be first choice.

[/quote]

And if, God forbid, RVW gets injured, who then will save our sorry arses? Becchio?

If you believe he can the God help us!

LBAY wrote - "Not sure about the logic on this, especially as Maxi Lopez may not have much Italian.

His mother tongue is Spanish, so his Italian may be only basic (and very possibly no better than Garrido''s)."

Not a million miles an hour like native Italians but he seems to have a certain competency;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny3cGcycRso

[quote user="Wiz"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

And if, God forbid, RVW gets injured, who then will save our sorry arses? Becchio?

If you believe he can the God help us!

[/quote]

Of course Norwich need an additional striker, but as the club are only looking for a back-up player there is little point throwing cash at Celtic when a little patience could save the club a couple of million pounds. Also, as Hooper would only be back-up it is not so important he is in the squad earlier to fit into the team.

No club in Norwich''s position can have great strikers all the way down the roster - if anyone of the teams outside of the top 6 lost their main striker they would suffer, there is unfortunately no avoiding this, Norwich aren''t in a financial position yet where they can afford to spend £5m on a bench player, especially when there are positions in the first team that still need strengthening. Instead of signing someone like Hooper, they could get someone like Quagliarella who would be first choice in the number 10 position and if the worst should happen and RvW gets injured then Quag can move into the strikers role whilst Hoolahan plays as the 10. Norwich need players who are flexible and can play different roles, RvW, Becchio and Hooper are all very one dimensional players and would all be fighting for the same postion.

Additionally, RvW has a very good injury record and started every game for Lisbon last season and has missed less than 20 games in the past 5 seasons. Luckily he isn''t a James Vaughan

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]QPR can afford him and offer decent wages but he obviously does not want to go there. We can afford him and offer decent wages and he wants to come here. But he''s not here, is he? What does that tell you?[/quote]

It tells me McNally didn''t like having his chain pulled back and forth in January and now, given that he knows the same thing as you appear to know, if Hooper is to come to Norwich it will be on our terms or not at all. He will not play Celtic''s game again. Once bitten twice shy. What does it tell you Joanna?

[/quote]

Careful! You''ll have that YankeeCanary on at you for stating opinions as FACT!!!!

Seriously, Yankee, (and Jim) if anyone was messing McNally about in January it was McNally himself. We were desperate for a striker (RVW having been priced out of our range) while Celtic, with Juve coming up, had no reason to sell their star stiker with 18 months left on his contract. (as McNally admitted recently).

But we insulted Celtic''s intelligence by starting with absurdly low offers. This must be the case since we made at least four offers, and only reached £7m with the last of them. Yet we must have known that we would have to pay over the odds, and a price like that. We knew that Celtic knew that we were desperate, and it was January, when prices are inflated anyway.

The likelier explanation for this saga is that Hughton isn''t convinced that he wants Hooper. I think that in an ideal world he would still get Quagliarella (or possibly Lopez) and Toivonen as his two other strikers/attackers. Two deals that have stalled but never officially been scrapped. Particularly Toivonen since he gives the option of an old-fashioned target man (and so the replacement for Holt) but doesn''t waste a squad place on someone who can only play there.

[/quote]

Purple, if you provide me with an address, I''ll send you some special ointment for that wound. It obviously still stings. [:D]

I''m totally with Bethnal on this one. McNally has the time and a price in mind as far as Hooper is concerned. In the meanwhile, we will all express our opinions as to the likelier explanations. 

[quote user="YankeeCanary"] 

Purple, if you provide me with an address, I''ll send you some special ointment for that wound. It obviously still stings. [:D]

I''m totally with Bethnal on this one. McNally has the time and a price in mind as far as Hooper is concerned. In the meanwhile, we will all express our opinions as to the likelier explanations. 

[/quote]

That is sweet of you, Yankee, but I am in no need of ointment, having not been wounded. At least not over this isse. Your balm would be better sent to those posters (one in particular) still in thrall to the idea of McNally as Universal Genius poker player and in denial over the way the January window went, or rather didn''t go, as far as we were concerned.But in the here and now, which is more important, if you are in agreement with Bethnal that makes two of us. As he says, having got RVW, we now see Hooper only as back-up (which was not the case in January) and that means we are less fussed about whether or not we get him, and more picky about the price.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="YankeeCanary"] 

[/quote]

That is sweet of you, Yankee, but I am in no need of ointment, having not been wounded. At least not over this isse. Your balm would be better sent to those posters (one in particular) still in thrall to the idea of McNally as Universal Genius poker player and in denial over the way the January window went, or rather didn''t go, as far as we were concerned.But in the here and now, which is more important, if you are in agreement with Bethnal that makes two of us. As he says, having got RVW, we now see Hooper only as back-up (which was not the case in January) and that means we are less fussed about whether or not we get him, and more picky about the price.

[/quote]

And moving on from whatever mistakes were made in January, I think Hughton and McNally (and the rest of the board) and the scouts have done brilliantly so far this summer. There is a feeling that because we didn''t pay the absurdly inflated €20m for RVW in January that £8.5m is a massive bargain. I am not sure about that, but it still seems a reasonable price. I doubt we have overpaid.And, going on reported prices, to get Olsson, Fer and Redmond for under £10m is superb work, and presumably the result of clever negotiating by McNally and persuading by Hughton. Some posters are worried that there are still gaps, but filling the striking positions was always likely to be the hardest bit. In part because of the way tactics have changed. A few years ago we would have replaced Holt with a similar player, But now, as Bethnal and others have pointed out, do we need an out and out target man if we are not wedded to a system that uses such a player?

I would suggest that it''s possible hooper isn''t keen on QPR OR us. He might be hoping for a different Prem club to bid for his services.

And perhaps, as many have suggested, we''re not that keen anymore either. It''s gone a tad "meh" all round in fact.