Sign in to follow this  
pete

Wot no Hooper move

ReadingCanary wrote - "I''ve heard rumours that Hooper is to sign when we return from America.

Now before you shout at me.

I was pretty spot on about Leroy Fer having a Medical and Hughton being in Italy.

All I was told was that there would be movement later on this week / into next week.

Could be nothing, but i''ll obviously post on here if I hear anything else !"

FFS, you posted some Tweets (that I had already seen on other Forums). You are not ITK so stop making out you are.

A lot of people on these forums haven''t even got Twitter.For every 100 14 year old boys pretending to be football agents, there are decent journalists / fans who know quite a lot.I also heard about Fer before the BBC Journalist even mentioned it.I know in the days of "ITK" it''s hard to believe people actually don''t make stuff up.But to shoot me down, without knowing who told me .... well it''s not exactly called for now is it.

You don''t need to "have" Twitter. If you have an internet connection then you can search Twitter without having an Account.

Your first post regarding Fer''s medical was from that BBC guy on Twitter.

I don''t care who told you TBF, you have claimed to be ITK by using Twitter evidence.

Even if Hooper signs this week or next you will still have no credence as quite frankly it would be no surprise would it?

Well we shall simply see next week.If anything happens I''m sure you will claim that I just made a statement and hoped it happened.Sometimes you just can''t win on here even when you''re being helpful !

[quote user="Celticfanman"]I''ve no reason to lie about this, he is very close to signing for Norwich.[/quote]

If this is true then would he be in the squad for tomorrow''s game?

I do not know but sense that this soap opera is coming to an end. I hope and think Hooper will be a Norwich player in the near future . regardless of if the transfer fee is £5 or £6m it is still a very modest fee and the problem so far as Celtic are concerned is being able to attract a replacement for this type of money. We know it will not even buy a top championship striker and those available are courted by bottom half premiership sides. There is better value abroad but the prices even here are rising with 10 or so bottom half EPL sides all trying to snap up what is on offer on the value shelf

Yes I noticed that 11/10 favourites now. Also there is a new Mirror on line article  linking us heavily to him and indicating that whist QPR have had a bid accepted they cannot trash out terms. If West Ham keep out of it I really think we are closing in on him and he will be a great partner for RVW

It is definitely time this saga ended, wherever it is he finally ends up. I''m a bit undecided but guess I''d be happy enough if it was here (and it would show we played the ''long'' game pretty well), if not then so be it.

QPR can afford him and offer decent wages but he obviously does not want to go there.

We can afford him and offer decent wages and he wants to come here.

But he''s not here, is he? What does that tell you?

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]QPR can afford him and offer decent wages but he obviously does not want to go there. We can afford him and offer decent wages and he wants to come here. But he''s not here, is he? What does that tell you?[/quote]

It tells me McNally didn''t like having his chain pulled back and forth in January and now, given that he knows the same thing as you appear to know, if Hooper is to come to Norwich it will be on our terms or not at all. He will not play Celtic''s game again. Once bitten twice shy. What does it tell you Joanna?

YankeeCanary wrote - "It tells me McNally didn''t like having his chain pulled back and forth in January and now, given that he knows the same thing as you appear to know, if Hooper is to come to Norwich it will be on our terms or not at all. He will not play Celtic''s game again. Once bitten twice shy. What does it tell you Joanna?"

I like McNally, I like his style but I don''t see it your way. He knows what''s best for the Club and will not let petty squabbles and mind games hinder Hughton''s team building.

I believe that the AM/SS role is more important than the second choice striker (after RvW). CH wanted Toivonen and I think if he had got him then he and Hooper would be on the USA tour.

Toivonen stalled however, and CH looked at other targets. At the start of July it became apparent that Juventus might let Quagliarella go and CH homed in. As it was clear that Quagliarella had doubts over settling here CH then moved for one of the others on his second choice striker list - Maxi Lopez. I believe that CH reasoned that having another Italian speaking player at the Club may help persuade Quagliarella to join.

We are not but, if Sky is right and the Club in the frame is QPR then you must ask what the problem is. If he wants to go to QPR , a fee has been agreed and they want him then why has the deal not happened? QPR can afford his wages so what else can it be?

The only thing that makes sense is that QPR is not the club he wants to go to.   Therefore, the question becomes who else and we are clearly in prime position.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

We are not but, if Sky is right and the Club in the frame is QPR then you must ask what the problem is. If he wants to go to QPR , a fee has been agreed and they want him then why has the deal not happened? QPR can afford his wages so what else can it be?   The only thing that makes sense is that QPR is not the club he wants to go to.   Therefore, the question becomes who else and we are clearly in prime position.

[/quote]

This sounds about right to me.   It feels like everyone in the deal is stuck.   Celtic want more money - hence QPR.  Hooper wants premiership football - hence us.   We want him but won''t  be pushed into hiking the price over the top - hence Celtic won''t agree with us.Hooper must be tearing his hair out.    Wants to move on and progress in his career but is stuck in mind games.  All he presumably wants is what we want to give him - premiership football.   It should  be easy.   But if another prem club come along and offer the same as qpr, then he would probably have to go there,  whether its Hull or West Ham, or anybody else.   We obviously have our valuation and won''t be pushed into a bidding war.  You can''t blame anybody for their position, it will get resolved, but the longer it goes on the more the player suffers because he is at one club whereas he could be with his new club, getting to know players, settling in before the season starts.   

Its only my opinion but from where i am standing I think Mcnally is playing a bit of a dangerous game. It seems fairly obvious to me that we are banking on the fact the player does not want to play in the championship for QPR and has told celtic he would prefer to move to us. however, we are clearly thinking if we stick at our current offer Celtic will cave in and sell at that price. i suspect there is also an element of Mcnally playing hardball in response to being messed about a bit in January.

To be honest I think its a bit of a risky strategy if we do actually want him. Firstly letting it drag on so long runs the risk of a 3rd party such as West ham jumping in with a slightly higher bid and secondly i can;t help but think that he may be getting a bit fed up and the players desire to join us may have been diluted somewhat by the fact it appears we won;t pay an extra £500k/£1m for him and appear to have been bidding/courting various other strikers all over Europe. It hardly gives the impression that he is our number one priority and with these footballers i often think that''s quite important.

"As it was clear that Quagliarella had doubts over settling here CH then moved for one of the others on his second choice striker list - Maxi Lopez. I believe that CH reasoned that having another Italian speaking player at the Club may help persuade Quagliarella to join."

Not sure about the logic on this, especially as Maxi Lopez may not have much Italian.

His mother tongue is Spanish, so his Italian may be only basic (and very possibly no better than Garrido''s).

Jim do you really think that if Hooper was a must have for Hughton he would still be a Celtic player?

Whatever else is going on, it is clear that Hooper is a like not a need.  Of course we could lose him following the current strategy but that just tells us that McNally has a price and that whilst we would like Hooper, he is not so important that we will exceed that price.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

Jim do you really think that if Hooper was a must have for Hughton he would still be a Celtic player?

Whatever else is going on, it is clear that Hooper is a like not a need.  Of course we could lose him following the current strategy but that just tells us that McNally has a price and that whilst we would like Hooper, he is not so important that we will exceed that price.

[/quote]

Cambridge

Yes I agree that if we were desperate for him we would have sorted it by now but what i am concerned about is that we will be turned down by the likes of Quagliarella or not able to agree a fee for this Spartak Moscow striker and will then turn back to Hooper only to find that ship has sailed.

Time will tell I guess whether this is a risky strategy or a very clever one by Mcnally but i do worry occasionally that whilst its undoubtedly overwhelmingly been a good thing for the club, his hard nosed attitude can occasionally be counterproductive.