Sign in to follow this  
flecky76

Hooper watch - Monday 15th

If QPR offer £10 million and the player doesn''t want to go there the deal won''t happen.

We can still have the lowest offer and win the race for him.

Player power is soooo strong these days.

Exactly, we are in a position where we know the player wants to come so why should we match harry the bankrupter''s offer? Just sit tight and wait for the player to decide where he wants to go.

[quote user="city-till-i-die"]If QPR offer £10 million and the player doesn''t want to go there the deal won''t happen.

Player power is soooo strong these days.[/quote]

On the other hand he could think QPR Want him more than us.

Toby Alderweireld knows we want him more than Liverpool because we''ve put money on the table and Liverpool has done nothing.

Hasn''t stopped him putting us on hold and waiting to see if Liverpool will make a bid.

A lot of chatter on the Celtic forums that Hooper is off to QPR but I suspect they know as little about reality as we do! However, very disappointed if we miss out on him for the sake of a couple of million.

Going on past statments we all know hooper prefered norwich so if norwich wanted him they will or would have signed him ... simple

It would be a great shame if we missed out on him, I really do feel he can find his feet in the EPL. Papers this morning suggest that West Ham are also interested in him which would offer strong competition for his signature. I still cannot see him going to QPR though

[quote user="ricky knight"][quote user="city-till-i-die"]If QPR offer £10 million and the player doesn''t want to go there the deal won''t happen.

Player power is soooo strong these days.[/quote]

On the other hand he could think QPR Want him more than us.[/quote]

In that case the deal would be sealed by now. It is a waiting game, a case of who blinks first.

He is a gamble at 4 million and we should not pay a penny more. Nobody has any idea if he can cut it in the prem.end of.

Celtic, if they let this go on for much longer, will miss out on their own targets. Lennon has said he would like to get someone in before next weeks CL Qualifier 2nd leg, so you would imagine that things will happen pretty quickly now.

Hooper has more than likely, told his agent, and Celtic, where he wants to go, so the main stumbling blocks would have been sorted by now, otherwise this is  a step too far, and we may well miss out on our other targets.

[quote user="jim blair"]He is a gamble at 4 million and we should not pay a penny more. Nobody has any idea if he can cut it in the prem.end of.[/quote]
Every striker within our budget will be a gamble, including RVW. Any player from Europe, the SPL, or Championship is a gamble.
In fact, even signing players from the Premier League is a gamble, if in doubt just ask QPR. You pay double the wages for a PL player and sometimes you find that they just aren''t hungry enough anymore.
At least Hooper is hungry and wants to play for Norwich, that is more than you can say for somebody like Darren Bent who will care only about how much his last pay day is worth. 

The fact that things have gone so quiet for a little while now suggests to me that rigorous and closing negotiations are being held and that QPR haven''t sealed the deal. I would be extremely surprised if after all this time and effort McNally would let such a priority signing walk off to London for the sake of a few hundred thousand pounds. I think we''ll match QPR and Hooper will choose Premiership football.

Norwich, QPR, Celtic and Hooper will all want this sorted out as soon as possible so I would predict that he will be our player by the start of next week.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]

The fact that things have gone so quiet for a little while now suggests to me that rigorous and closing negotiations are being held and that QPR haven''t sealed the deal. I would be extremely surprised if after all this time and effort McNally would let such a priority signing walk off to London for the sake of a few hundred thousand pounds. I think we''ll match QPR and Hooper will choose Premiership football.

Norwich, QPR, Celtic and Hooper will all want this sorted out as soon as possible so I would predict that he will be our player by the start of next week.

[/quote]

If you heard Lennon''s comments this morning you wouldn''t think so.  

All this he is a gamble, makes me laugh, everyone we sign is a gamble, what Hooper will cost is still peanuts in todays market imo we dont want him or it would be done and dusted by now.

[quote user="ricky knight"]All this he is a gamble, makes me laugh, everyone we sign is a gamble, what Hooper will cost is still peanuts in todays market imo we dont want him or it would be done and dusted by now.[/quote]Agreed.

Technically RvW is a gamble! We shouldnt have signed him! [:''(]

Worth no more than £3.5 mil. These figures like £7 mil and even £10 mil will just have Celtic laughing to the bank. Happy to see that we are bidding what the club seem to see him worth, and not budging to Celtics attempt to extort more money from us.

Don''t get me wrong, I would like him here but I don''t want the club to embarrass itself for blasting too much money on the spl''s not even top 3 highest scorer.

How good is Hooper?  I have only ever really seen him in Sky News''s incessant reports on the Scottish League. Admittedly he always looks good scoring against Scottish opposition, and I know Celtic fans rate him, but how well did he do in the Champions League against quality opposition? If the answer is ''poorly'', then what is there to suggest he is any different to a multitude of championship strikers? Anyone seen him regularly enough to give an opinion?

I wouldn''t pay more than 4mil tbh. Yes he has a great goal tally in the SPL but can he do it against the better teams? 4mil is worth a punt, much more than that could be risky. Also if he was rated so highly then why is it only us and QPR are looking at him? you would have thought some of the other mid table teams would be showing their hand if he was all that.
I would have him here but not at the price Celtic most likely want for him.

What a player is ''worth'' is simply a function of the market. What a prospective purchaser must decide is the probability of securing future cash inflows (in this case broadcasting income) against the capital outflow of an operating asset (in this case the likelihood that Hooper, or equivalent, will secure the goals necessary to finish at least 17th in the PL).

For crying out loud Highland.

You talk about a player''s worth offering  a very credible explanation to the question, and quite rightly is, as you say.

Then, you are moaning about the strength of the playing squad, in a (almost!) hysterical /pant wetting style, even though there are 6 weeks of the transfer window left.

Which is the real you?!

To answer your question Crabby we have to pay the money the market demands since, in my opinion, we have an insufficient number of goals in the squad at the moment - so if it''s £6m for Hooper so be it. I for one would welcome him here.

Highland - it was (tongue in cheek) aimed at your balanced, explanation of a player''s worth (which I agree with)  against your (sometimes) ''over negativity on NCFC 

People keep asking whether Hooper is good enough, because of the comparison of how good is the SPL.Aren''t they forgetting he scored 30 goals for Scunthorpe when they were in Div1, and then followed that up with 20 the next season in Championship.Yes the SPL is questionable over which English league it is comparable to, but Hooper has scored at every level he''s played, and I believe he''d adapt to the Prem, exactly the way Holt scored at Div1, then Champ, and then Prem.

Hooper would be brilliant for us.Said it from the start.He''s my 1st choice.He is the perfect replacement for Holt in my opinion.The Amount of goals I saw him score for Celtic which were carbon copies of the stuff Holt puts away was amazing.He''s brilliant in the air, strong and has a great shot on him.Plus he actually wants to play for us and will be wanting to get into the England call ups.

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]Plus he actually wants to play for us.......[/quote]I feel sure you can post up a link for us to where he actually said that........

Looks like he''ll go to Stoke:http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/Player-Watch-Mark-Hughes-fast-land-Celtic-ace/story-19530843-detail/story.html#axzz2ZQvb1sdj