Sign in to follow this  
flecky76

Hooper watch - Monday 15th

Apologies for yet another thread on you know you. Interestingly, if we end up NOT signing GH, I wonder if he''ll go down as the most widely spoken player never to actually play for us, at least since Dean Windass?!

Anyway, the Scottish Record report on Monday the we have given Celtic a 5pm Monday deadline to come back on a £4m offer.

Meanwhile at the Express, they report Hooper has his eyes firmly on a PL switch and is desparate for the deal to be concluded. They also state Norwich''s offer includes a player thrown in - whether the figure quoted by the Record includes such played thrown in, who knows,

Despite QPRs interest, I just wonder if GH only has eyes on Norwich, that''s what it seems like. If that''s indeed the case, then McNally could well know that Norwich are bidding, erm, against themselves! Therefore McN would know there is no point going higher?

Just a thought, though I remember it being widely confirmed when we sold Dean Ashton to West Ham for around £7.5m that they were the only interested suitors in town and we ended up getting something like an additional £1.5m out of them, despite them in theory only bidding against themselves!

I just wonder if McN is playing one big game here. Surely if he wasn''t confident of this tactic working, he would just throw in a further £1.5m?!

Recently, many had thrown the Holt swap into this transfer. A few suggestions of Wes as an alternative.

What does Hooper give should be the question? It''s all good and bad. Players come and go to the SPL. From our experience let''s look...

Drinkell, Woods and Gordon. What really happened after that for them? All destined for greater things but failed.

Coming back down Fleck...and that''s really where it ends. Others never really cut it. I may of missed someone.

Hooper has gone up, got a modest wage/played in the Champions League but for the bread and butter games in the course of a season only has the SPL and lower leagues to prove himself.

£4mil is his true worth, anything more and you''ve got to be a mug and expecting to hit the net every 2.5 games.

Can we please refer to Gary Hooper , as just that, or Hooper, Hoops, or whatever, just not GH. When I read a thread about a ''GH'', I temporarily get flashbacks, thinking about our recently departed Centre Forward, and it throws my mind into confusion.

Thank you, from an easily confused person.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/414806/Threat-to-Gary-Hooper-deal-arises?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+daily-express-football-news+%28Daily+Express+%3A%3A+Football+Feed%29

Just a follow up to OP.

Certainly sounds as if we are going to find out if we getting him today or not to me. Wonder who the player is in exchange. Barnett? Or maybe although sounds crazy.... Becchio? Leaving us to sign another quality striker instead?

[quote user="crabbycanary"]Can we please refer to Gary Hooper , as just that, or Hooper, Hoops, or whatever, just not GH. When I read a thread about a ''GH'', I temporarily get flashbacks, thinking about our recently departed Centre Forward, and it throws my mind into confusion. Thank you, from an easily confused person.[/quote]

That''s good point about the two players having the same initials Crabby; should Hooper sign he could be allocated Holt''s vacant locker & training kit! Who cares if it fits badly - there''s kebab shop nearby - and most importantly, another few quid saved!

[quote user="crabbycanary"]NM - you are David McNally, and I claim my £5[/quote]

OK, the games up - I''ve been rumbled! :-) Better get on as I''ve plenty to achieve today. As always, I''ll keep it tight people...

This has a feel of brinkmanship about it. QPR have had£5m offer rejected and Sun today says Hooper has told Celtic he wants to come to Norwich. It may be after Januarys late messing about Norwich want to make a point. I cannot see us getting him for £4m as quoted in some media sources but £5 to £5.5 should be enough, its just a question of if we want to go that far. We need another striker so an alternative whoever that may be would probably be in excess of £5m if any good

My take on the whole situation is,

The bid in January was rejected because

A) It wasnt what Celtic valued him at and

B) Hooper wasnt overly keen at that point, he had the Champions League games coming up, we were in a relation scrap so he put no pressure on Celtic to accept our offer.

Role on 6 months,

His Champions League venture was a disaster, (wernt they 3 down quite early?) The SPL has got poorer with the loss of the Old Firm games and now he is seeing what we achieved last year and what we are putting together this year.

Now (If this mornings reports are true) we know he has his heart set on a move to us, we can play hard ball. If QPR have had a £5.5 Mil accepted but he has no intention to go there, then Celtic are left with either making him play out last year and then losing him on a free or accepted the quoted £4 Million from us.

Classic case of us offering less than the competing party, as Hooper isn''t as keen on going to QPR I reckon.

It means that Hooper would rather go to us, but Celtic would rather stayed or he went to QPR for £5m.

Second preference for Hooper is a move to QPR and lastly would be he stayed at Celtic.

Celtic would least rather him moving for £4m to us. Something will have to give, that being either Celtic give in to us, Hooper gives in to QPR or we give in to Celtic. Hopefully it''s either the first or the last of them. It would be a shame to lose out on him due to a few thousand pounds. If we do though, we move on, we''re no longer mugs and there are others out there.

"Gary Hooper has told Celtic that he wants to join Norwich"

Do we believe THE SUN this time or not???

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]"Gary Hooper has told Celtic that he wants to join Norwich" Do we believe THE SUN this time or not???[/quote]

Giggle, good point.

Just seen on a Norwich page on facebook that Hooper has told Celtic he wants to join us and in turn we''ve told them you;ve got until 16:00 today to sell or the deal is off. Is that the same story from The Sun?

According to the Daily Record article, QPR have:

"offered £4m for the striker but that bid includes significant financial add-ons for targets which include a successful return to the top flight from the Championship."

That''s not the same as a £5.5m bid. I''d have thought that City could offer similar ''add-ons'' to force Celtic''s hand on this. Like others, I''ll be pleased if this is resolved one way or the other today.

I''m  not sure that we need another striker who in in the same mould as RVW & Becchio, not being funny but for 5 million it has to be worth a go but surely if we are buying good wingers we need a direct 6ft 2" + big unit striker to aim the crosses at?

I would like to see a good target man signed up and I kow I''ll get knocked for this but Wickham or Wood could be the type of signing who we could get for more modest price and young with potential. Not sure I want to see us pay 8 million with the large wage we would need to buy Fabio Quagliarella.

[quote user="Indy"]

I''m  not sure that we need another striker who in in the same mould as RVW & Becchio, not being funny but for 5 million it has to be worth a go but surely if we are buying good wingers we need a direct 6ft 2" + big unit striker to aim the crosses at?

I would like to see a good target man signed up and I kow I''ll get knocked for this but Wickham or Wood could be the type of signing who we could get for more modest price and young with potential. Not sure I want to see us pay 8 million with the large wage we would need to buy Fabio Quagliarella.

[/quote]Becchio is certainly a Target Man and RVW is 6''1". Hooper would be a good replacement for Jackson.

[quote user="Indy"]

[/quote]

No and no. We need better.

its funny reading the twitter posts from celtic fans angry at little Norwich for saying "take it or leave it" More than likely we want to get him to the US, so a swift answer is preferable.

One angry young man said that Celtic were European giants, funny how winning the european cup in 67 makes you a giant! same mentality as Leeds fans???

Gonna stick my neck out and say we''ll have this done by the end of the week.Players and their agents are so powerful in the transfer window these days.Celtic in the end will have to accept Hooper''s decision or he will just be a free agent in a few months.As long as we stand our ground and don''t offer silly money I''ll be v happy to see him in Yellow and Green soon.

celtic fans on twitter talking about a player moving in the opposite direction they saying dunno who as holts already gone. becchio ?

I hope it''s not Becchio, we''re down to the bare bones there and need to add to the strikers, not replace them.

Candidates would be Barnett, Ayala, Fox, Surman that spring to mind.