Sign in to follow this  
Viva Marc Libbra

Toivonen bins his agent.

Ola Toivonen has sacked his agent after failing to secure him a move to a new club.

It appears his agent has put off all potential suitors leaving him in limbo at PSV.

He''s obviously well peeved that his move here fell through!!

[quote user="Marc Libbras haircut"]Ola Toivonen has sacked his agent after failing to secure him a move to a new club.

It appears his agent has put off all potential suitors leaving him in limbo at PSV.

He''s obviously well peeved that his move here fell through!![/quote]You could look at it that way.Or, you could look at it that he''s peeved the only club that came in for him was Norwich City, which was not the caliber of club he thought he could attract.

[quote user="crabbycanary"]But you couldn''t blame your agent for that[/quote]

The agent remains responsible for marketing the player to the world''s best clubs though. Mind you, doesn''t sound like the agent has endeared himself to the types of club his client might fancy!...

Does the player know that based on last season Norwich are the 11th best club in England?

You are right, and I am sure the agent has done exactly just that (for his and his players wellbeing/£), but Toivenen is what he is. The Clubs will not just listen to the agent, they will do their own research and decide if they want him or not.

You can''t make a silk purse out of a sow''s ear. Not that I am saying Toivenen is poor, but if he isn''t the next Ronaldo, then the likes of Real Madrid will be looking elsewhere. 

Maybe Ola wanted to come here, but his agent put the word out he didn''t want to, in the hope of a ''bigger'' club coming in, with more money, resulting in a bigger fee for said agent?

Could happen

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"][quote user="crabbycanary"]But you couldn''t blame your agent for that[/quote]

The agent remains responsible for marketing the player to the world''s best clubs though. Mind you, doesn''t sound like the agent has endeared himself to the types of club his client might fancy!...

Does the player know that based on last season Norwich are the 11th best club in England?[/quote]
Agents tout their clients yes. However it''s down to the clubs to decided whether they think they''re good enough or worth the wages they demand.  I guess the question is then.  Does Toiboy think he''s better than he actually is, judging by his lack of offers.

[quote user="87canary"]Maybe Ola wanted to come here, but his agent put the word out he didn''t want to, in the hope of a ''bigger'' club coming in, with more money, resulting in a bigger fee for said agent?

Could happen[/quote]If I remember rightly, this was what happened with Hucks.But Huckerby (because he is a legend) basically told his Agent where to go, took a wage cut and came here anyway.Imagine if Ola did the same.We can dream.

Someone said last week that Toivonen had recruited a lot of agents to find him a new club.Norwich would only deal with the one he''s just sacked, because that''s who PSV knew as his agent, but Toivonen was working with other agents who were promising more spectacular moves, and this agent was getting frustrated that he wouldn''t sign because he''d lined a good move up to us.This was someone on either this forum or WOTB, pretty reliable, as evidenced by the fact the agent''s now been sacked.If true, I''m finally convinced his attitude isn''t one we want here!

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]I am reminded of that old saying ''A bad workman always blames his tools...''[/quote]

He doesn''t need any he''s a footballer, he''s effectively one big tool.

How fitting.

Ola toolvonen!

Thing is, I''ve only ever seen his agent hint that Norwich would be a good move, with ola seemingly only quoted as saying negative things about a potential move to Norwich. My guess would be that he feels his agent is encouraging a move he isn''t keen on.

If he signs for us then my theory is wrong.

Maybe you should base your theory on facts.

Toivonen has, at worst, only said neutral things about Norwich. Never anything negative. Happy to accept this is wrong if you can find quotes.

Ola finally got his hand on City''s season highlights DVD, then he realized that it was his agent who had removed the channels from his telly that showed City''s games...

[quote user="swindoncanary"]Think it''s probably up to Norwich to make their bid once again. [/quote]

It would actually make sense, since as he''s currently without an agent, we could offer him the same contract plus the 10-15(?) per cent or whatever his agent would get, without any extra costs on behalf of the club. Perhaps that was Toivonen''s idea for sacking him.

[quote user="Budapest Canary"][quote user="swindoncanary"]Think it''s probably up to Norwich to make their bid once again. [/quote]

It would actually make sense, since as he''s currently without an agent, we could offer him the same contract plus the 10-15(?) per cent or whatever his agent would get, without any extra costs on behalf of the club. Perhaps that was Toivonen''s idea for sacking him.[/quote]He''s got a LOT of agents, which is why the relationship with the one he had before he hired loads more has soured. He''s just sacked the only one who was trying to get him to move here

Also if he did move here, the agent he sacked would probably have grounds to still claim a percentage.

I get the distinct impression that this deal was dead weeks ago.

Never can any player have had so many assumptions made about him, his every word and his every action is analysed to the extreme.

A few hasty words to a reporter and he is eventually subject to a virtual character assassination on this Board. He parts ways with his agent ("bins" is the word used,) which is probably an everyday happening in the World of professional sportsmen, and this is interpreted as being virtually wholly connected with affairs Norwich City.

As long as there is an outside chance that he may sign for us it is good to keep the embers burning on here, but all this guesswork is plain daft and based upon a minimum of genuine fact-based insight.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

Never can any player have had so many assumptions made about him, his every word and his every action is analysed to the extreme.

A few hasty words to a reporter and he is eventually subject to a virtual character assassination on this Board. He parts ways with his agent ("bins" is the word used,) which is probably an everyday happening in the World of professional sportsmen, and this is interpreted as being virtually wholly connected with affairs Norwich City.

As long as there is an outside chance that he may sign for us it is good to keep the embers burning on here, but all this guesswork is plain daft and based upon a minimum of genuine fact-based insight.

[/quote]I''m not sure if that''s aimed partly at me for suggesting that he''s sacked his agent because he doesn''t want to sign for Norwich. I can assure you I''ve been very frustrated at a lot of people thinking he thought he was above Norwich etc, because he never said as much. So I would only say this on pretty good info - well, the best we''ve got anyway:http://www.vi.nl/radio/242421/Stuitend-om-te-horen-dat-Toivonen-niet-naar-Norwich-wil.htmThis was last week, before he sacked his agent. It says he employed loads of agents to try and find him a new club after PSV threatened him with the reserves. Martin Dahlin is the only one Norwich would contact because he''s the one he''s had a contract with for a few years. But, because of the issue of all the other agents, the communication between Dahlin and Toivonen wasn''t going very well. Thus, things being played out in the press, eg Dahlin talking to the press and saying he doesn''t understand why Toivonen won''t sign for us, last week.Continuing on from that, it suggests (and this may be speculation, but it fits with what''s happened since) Toivonen is annoyed at Dahlin for trying to push through a move to Norwich when he as other agents promising bigger clubs, and is considering sacking him.6 days later, he''s been sacked. I very much doubt this is a Huckerby situation

Purely on the fact that he has many Agents.

Why does anyone need more than one? Was he not ringing/faxing ALL the Clubs fast enough?

Not at all aimed at you Judderman just a general observation and indeed there might be something in all this, although assumptions around the point have been rife on this thread.

For a player who will likely never set foot on the Carrow Road turf I feel a certain familiarity with him having read the various interpretations of all his thoughts and actions on this forum.

I really hope we get him after all this though.

It is all interesting but it does seem somewhat obvious he is not too keen on us so we all need to move on. Its a shame because I think he would have been a good signing and if he has aspirations for the EPL I cannot see the top 7 being interested

Thanks judderman for the extra info, mine was just a broad assumption. Nonetheless, time is running out for him, so what will he do if no better offer comes his way?