Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

where is he?

I waited before posting to ensure my emotions werent dictating. But....

....I STILL think we were INSANE to let Holty go. Why?

1) THE ONLY proven scorer at this level in the club

2) A talisman

3) A legend of the club and fans favourite

Why not give him one more year? Ok Wolfy looks good on paper but....until we KNOW who else is coming in. The sale of Holty looks mad...

Had a beer. May be hysterical. It is how I feel.

I can see why you feel that way...but this is a bit premature...wait a few weeks and see what happens

"Why not give him one more year"

How do you know he didn''t beg to leave? Not every transfer request is done as publicly as he did it last year.

It was well documented his family moved back up north.  Holt may have been professional and carried on playing for us. However if he''s not 100% happy it''s better to let him go on a good note, rather than risk things get sour.

His wife and kids are up North. He is not the same player he was 4 years ago, age catches up with us all. He was never going to be #1 here next season and that''s surely hard to take for someone who has been the cult hero for 4 years I would imagine.

He gets a Wembley date with Man U, and a shot at the Europa League, in a team widely fancied to make waves in the Champ this season.

We don''t know who is coming in to replace him, but there is no doubt that someone will be coming in.

More than anything, after all Holty has done for the club, I think we owed it to him to let him take this move. If it hadn''t been a Northern club, and there weren''t all these opportunities for him there to do things he has never done then I dont think he would have gone, but this move was perfect for him, and he leaves the club as a legend, an accolade he richly deserves, rather than as a bit part player as his career dwindled down.

I think Holt wanted the move, and I totally understand why he would. It''s time to move on, and time for new heroes to emerge.

Couldn''t agree more . I am prepared to be persuaded but I am very concerned at our lack of cover. Remember how ever much you trust DM this is the team that brought you...... Harry Kane last summer.

If someone suggested we could get a striker who averaged 10 goals a season in the prem for 2M as backup who would turn it down ?

And for anyone saying ah but you don''t understand the business of football it really isn''t rocket science. Why Hughton keeps insisting on releasing or selling players before bringing in replacements is beyond me and NOT good business.

[quote user="Dean Coneys boots"] Why not give him one more year? [/quote]
As much as I agree that we shouldn''t have let him go until we had his replacement signed on the dotted line, you say this like Holt wanted to stay and was forced out. 
To the contrary, Holt obviously wanted out and he has landed himself a three year contract with a team close to his family and will play in Europe this season. Giving him one more year wouldn''t have been doing him a favour, it would actually have been a pretty nasty thing to do and we would have seen an unhappy and ineffective Holt again next season.
But I do agree in principle that letting him go before we had signed a replacement was irresponsible. Sure, it will probably work out just fine, but last summer we ended up with Harry Kane and in January we ended up with Becchio. It was a big risk to take and let''s just hope that it works out OK. 
We are getting scarily close to August now. Even if we sign just one more player this summer, it HAS to be a striker. 

To be honest I''m a little surprised. I thought we would most definitely have had someone signed- if not close to signing- to fill that sizable hole in supporters minds Holt left.

I''m not messing myself over it quite yet, but the longer we lack the forward signing everyone knows we need the more fans we''ll see starting rapidly becoming concerned.

[quote user="Mason 47"]To be honest I''m a little surprised. I thought we would most definitely have had someone signed- if not close to signing- to fill that sizable hole in supporters minds Holt left.

I''m not messing myself over it quite yet, but the longer we lack the forward signing everyone knows we need the more fans we''ll see starting rapidly becoming concerned.[/quote]
Indeed. I will probably crap my pants when my calender says August. But there have been no shortage of strikers moving clubs this summer. Aston Villa have Helenius, Cardiff have Cornilius, Swansea have Bony, Palace have Dwight Gayle, Everton have Kone, Sunderland have Altimore.
I''m not saying that those players are necessarily going to be better than whoever it is that we end up signing up front, but what I am saying is that if we end up with another Harry Kane or Lucciano Becchio then we really have no excuses as other clubs have managed to pull great strikers out of Europe and the Championship just fine.
I would have any of those strikers at Norwich, with the possible exception of Dwight Gayle who is probably going to be either the next Ian Wright or one massively over-hyped flop. 

[quote user="SYG"]He wanted to leave, get over it[/quote][quote user="SYG"]He wanted to leave, get over it[/quote][quote user="SYG"]He wanted to leave, get over it[/quote][quote user="SYG"]He wanted to leave, get over it[/quote][quote user="SYG"]He wanted to leave, get over it[/quote][quote user="SYG"]He wanted to leave, get over it[/quote][quote user="SYG"]He wanted to leave, get over it[/quote]I

figured if I kept repeating it, people would start getting it and stop

banging on with the same crap. Holt was not "let go". A deal that suited all parties was cooked so a player who wanted to leave was able to do so.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and for that we will have to wait and see.I remember us tuning down a considerable bid for keith O''neil , that didnt go so well.And selling talisman Darren Eadie, only played a number of matches before retiring with injuries, a good call for us.

Lol, OP. what you''ve done is the football forum equivalent of drunk texting you ex girlfriend.

''I miss you, where are you, why did you go?''.

Tbh I know how you feel mate. I think Holty was the heart and soul of the squad, and we would never have succeeded with back to back promotions without the big guy. We will all miss him this season as I know he would have continued to make a positive impact.

"....letting him go before we had signed a replacement was irresponsible"; well isn''t RVW a fantastic replacement for Holt?

If so, the replacement WAS in place before GH left...