Sign in to follow this  
Hank shoots Skyler

VOTE! Whittaker or Martin?

Personally Whittaker, but I rate Martin highly so it''s how''s how highly. Irate Whittaker. Personally I thought our defence was better with Whittaker. I do. Think both will play a great deal next season.

But I think having Whittaker who had to play for a team who had towin every game is so valuable as he brings that experience.

Is what because he''s a bit ''gobby'' (which he isn''t... No idea where you''ve got that from...)?

He''s just a better player, or more consistent. Or something. Because Whittaker who more people on here seem to think is better,failed to regain his place for pretty much last four months of the season, after being injured for about a month (so not serious, didn''t require weeks to regain fitness).

Never got the chance which Suprised me!

Especially when l felt Russ was not doing so well, but we know Hughton didn''t like changing things too much at the time.

Russ didn''t do that much wrong but l felt Whittaker just hadtthat bit more.

All in the past now. New Season New outlook New opportunities!

Snake

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Is what because he''s a bit ''gobby'' (which he isn''t... No idea where you''ve got that from...)?

He''s just a better player, or more consistent. Or something. Because Whittaker who more people on here seem to think is better,failed to regain his place for pretty much last four months of the season, after being injured for about a month (so not serious, didn''t require weeks to regain fitness).[/quote]
I can''t understand why he never got his place back.Don''t get me wrong I like Rus , but if he''s finding a winger tough to mark he just drops away towards the centre,leaving us very exposed,this happens a lot.Personally I think he''s good cover but Whittaker has a lot more class.But this game is all about opinions.
Don''t forget just because he doesn''t get his place back doesn''t mean he is a better or worse player, it just means he''s less of a Hughton player than Rus is.I think it''s good we have them both.

We should take Webbo''s statement to a vote to see who agrees or not..

Got to say though, you are one of the more interesting posters on this board.. I don''t think I''ve ever seen you post something which isn''t either extremely sarcastic or a miserable-old-man type comment, you are, with everything you say, this forum''s Jack Dee..

Russ Martin is asked by the media to comment, as his

interview tonight on Talk Sport demonstrated, because he is articulate and

media savvy, not because he puts himself forward.  In fact he has been asked by other players in the past to take

their place for this very reason. 

Even when Holty was captain RM was a POSITIVE influence at

Colney not just with the 1st Team but also with the youngsters.

His performance for Scotland against Croatia was immense and

he is always the last player to leave the pitch on match day, no matter what

the result.

He is a thinking player and therefore perhaps a

rarity. This fact appears to be recognised by CH as in the last few games of

the season whenever CH wanted to pass on instructions it was RM he called to

the touchline, so IMO he will be our next Captain and will go on to be a NCFC

legend.

[quote user="Ray"]

His performance for Scotland against Croatia was immense [/quote]

So?

What about an immense performance for Norwich?

[quote user="Lord Eddard Stark"]We should take Webbo''s statement to a vote to see who agrees or not.. Got to say though, you are one of the more interesting posters on this board.. I don''t think I''ve ever seen you post something which isn''t either extremely sarcastic or a miserable-old-man type comment, you are, with everything you say, this forum''s Jack Dee..[/quote]

Gee thanks mate. In two days, I''ve gone from a silly little boy to a miserable old man. Nothing if not multi-qualified !

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Ray"]

So?

[/quote]

Been plenty, if you can''t see that, then your loss. Because Lambert did, and so does Hughton. And the Scotland manager.

GJP,

His performances for Norwich were sound and he was playing RB, in the Scotland game he played CB.  I don''t recall him letting us down in any match.  Yes of course he sometimes gets beaten, but then so does every defender, that''s what attackers are supposed to do, but overall he performed well throughout the season.  The point I was making, although perhaps I didn''t elucidate sufficiently, was that he is probably more of a CB than RB, but can only play where selected and at 27 is maturing into a valuable defender and potential captain.  He was also our equal 4th highest goal scorer last season, although I accept this doesn''t say much, but he did score more goals than Hoolahan and Howson, in fact only one less than their combined tally.  IMO, which of course proves me right, well it does to me, just as yours proves you right to you, we will see RM play a big part in our season, therefore we will see him play ''immense'' games for us too, along with all the other NCFC players on the pitch (we hope).

[quote user="Gingerpele"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="Ray"]

So?

[/quote] Been plenty, if you can''t see that, then your loss. Because Lambert did, and so does Hughton. And the Scotland manager.[/quote]

Right, I''m not against Russell Martin. Infact I''d probably say I''m a fan of the guy. Doesn''t mean I have to pretend he plays exceptionally well every single game.

Anyway, the reason I quoted that bit from Ray was that I found it interesting he picked out an "immense" performance from Martin against Croatia and not an immense performance for Norwich against someone in the Premier League.

[quote user="Ray"]

GJP,

His performances for Norwich were sound and he was playing RB, in the Scotland game he played CB.  I don''t recall him letting us down in any match.  Yes of course he sometimes gets beaten, but then so does every defender, that''s what attackers are supposed to do, but overall he performed well throughout the season.  The point I was making, although perhaps I didn''t elucidate sufficiently, was that he is probably more of a CB than RB, but can only play where selected and at 27 is maturing into a valuable defender and potential captain.  He was also our equal 4th highest goal scorer last season, although I accept this doesn''t say much, but he did score more goals than Hoolahan and Howson, in fact only one less than their combined tally.  IMO, which of course proves me right, well it does to me, just as yours proves you right to you, we will see RM play a big part in our season, therefore we will see him play ''immense'' games for us too, along with all the other NCFC players on the pitch (we hope).

[/quote]

Yup, fair enough.

I think Martin is an "alright" fullback in the Premier League. I just don''t think he''s great. I think he''s a bit better at centreback but he''s not a better option there than Turner or Bassong. So he''ll have to make do with playing at right back.

I do think he''s a very good player for us to have in the squad and it''s important to have "steady" kind of players like him around.

Hi GJP,

Sounds like we are waging peace on each other!

Yep, not the best in the league, but could go on to be one of the best, also he has a massive influence on the performance of the rest of team, something we don''t always take into account when we review someone''s individual performance, perhaps because we can''t hear it, so whilst there may be better options available on pure ability, if he gets an extra 5% from other players through his attitude and leadership skills it''s like having another half a player on the pitch.  Not sure how old you are or whether you are interested in cricket, but Mike Brearley captained England in 31 of the 39 Test Matches he played, only losing 4 times, yet he only averaged 22.88, yet was considered one of England''s greatest ever captains, the following is a direct quote from Wikipedia;

Having passed the England captaincy to Ian Botham in 1980 (losing his Test place in the process), Brearley returned as captain following Botham''s resignation for the famous third Test against Australia at Headingley in 1981,[11] famously going on to win the match and two of the remaining three matches of the series to win the Ashes 3-1. Brearley''s extraordinary galvanising of Botham is regarded as one of the greatest feats of sporting psychology of all time:

I think RM can, and will, have a similar effect, therefore would always be in my team, I have a feeling CH is of the same opinion because if you heard RM''s interview last night (about 11.10pm) he revealed he had been captain for both USA matches so far.  When asked if he was the Captain for the season, he said he had not been approached yet, so it may still be undecided??