Sign in to follow this  
Hank shoots Skyler

VOTE! Whittaker or Martin?

Martin has earned it with his performances over the past season. Whittaker has definately got the ability, but his injuries have hampered a run in the side, Martin stepped in and played really well. It seems very unfair to drop him on the back of last season IMO.
Also to the OP, a game of thrones or a song of ice and fire [:)]

It is my view that this type of thing serves no useful purpose. Both are important members of the squad and will have big parts to play during the coming season.

Martin - but only because he is the man in possession.   If injured or loss of form, then Whittaker could do just as well, if not better.    two excellent players who will both have a strong contribution to make this season, if only in competition with each other.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]house stark, lannister, baratheon or targaryen?[/quote]
The North remembers, Lord Davos. The North remembers. [;)]

Russ Martin, for a number reasons, he is likely to be captain and also if on the field can cover injury to CB, plus probably the better player overall, can bomb forward if team tactics call for it. He is possession and has done nothing wrong either on or off the field to lose his place. 

Whittaker from one reason and one reason along he''s better than Russell Martin

There is very little to go on to make a fair comparison.

It simply has to be Martin at the moment becsuse he is so consistant. I''ve not seen enough of Whittaker to be able to say that he is.

Plus two goals against Man City.

That and even when fit Hughton felt Martin was still the better option.

Martin all the way. About halfway through last season I would have said otherwise. But for me, Martin was a consistently good performer last year who was able to adapt to whatever kind of player he was up against. Rodwell really exposed Whittaker in the Man City game.

Football wise... Whittaker.

Our best period of form came when he was in the team.

But it''s a difficult one because Martin has been a very good servant to the club. He''s a steady kind of player, he''s there for the cause and he''s obviously popular.

Thing with playing fullback though is that it can be an "easy" position to play. You''re not often the last line of defence. You can have a winger helping you out or there''s a centreback/midfielder ready to cover behind you.

To me Martin got beaten a bit easily a few too many times last season and I think he''s safer and more comfortable at centreback. But he''s a very handy player to have in the squad so I can understand Hughton showing faith in him.

[quote user="refjezdavies"]Whittaker from one reason and one reason along he''s better than Russell Martin[/quote]

Based on what?

If Whittaker is better than Martin, why on earth did he not win his place back?

He had half on January, February, March, April and one or two games in May. And played, what twice? After he was dropped because of injury in November/December after playing 9ish games.

I love how so many fans on here say Whittaker is better, on the evidence of what he did for Rangers and 8/9 PL games.

Martin every day. And appears Hughton agrees.

''to me Martin got beaten a bit easily a few too many times''

So did Whittaker. And a large percentage of full backs. Because the wingers job is to beat them, the FBs job isn''t really to win the ball, its to try and put them off. Because a large percentage of wingers are either very fast or tricky, occasionally both.

It always amazes me how fans expect their FBs to stop the opposing winger every time, but expect their own winger to get past the FB every time.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]''to me Martin got beaten a bit easily a few too many times'' So did Whittaker. And a large percentage of full backs. Because the wingers job is to beat them, the FBs job isn''t really to win the ball, its to try and put them off. Because a large percentage of wingers are either very fast or tricky, occasionally both. It always amazes me how fans expect their FBs to stop the opposing winger every time, but expect their own winger to get past the FB every time.[/quote]

Are you really trying to tell me what the jobs of the wingers and fullbacks are?

My point, as you seem to have missed it, is that I think Whittaker gives us more when he''s on the ball. From what I''ve seen he just has that little bit more about him. And, as I mentioned, our best run of form came when he was in the side.

However, I also don''t think there''s a massive gap between them and it''s no surprise to me that Martin has kept his place. As mentioned he''s a very handy player to have and the manager will want to show a bit of faith in him and keep him happy. Especially given Whittaker''s injury record.

So far Whittaker has 10 votes and Martin has 9 votes.

Webbo118- I see you think this is a waste of time. I am afraid I tend to disagree, a quick Powerpoint presentation with a Pie Chart demonstrated to Hughton would be very productive

I tend to agree with GJP, whilst it is very tight between the two, I feel Whittaker is the better of the two when on the ball and has a bit more of a cutting edge with superior passing and dribbling. I also feel its pretty much even in every other area

I think Hughton stuck with Martin purely because he had been playing well, and didn''t want his head to drop by benching him when Whittaker returned to fitness. Just like he did with Bunn, I know Ruddy played the last two games but how many games was Ruddy fit before he actually started again? I also think Hughton did this with Howson when Tettey got injured, he likes to give players a run of games providing they are doing a decent job.

I can''t really pick much between them. In fact I think Martin''s biggest weakness, which for me is dealing with high balls in behind him, is Whittaker''s also.I''d say Martin just about edges it for me,