Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Grant Holt....

.....scored three goals so far pre-season on their US tour.   I know he''s left, but it''s going to interesting following his career as the season progresses. Along with Fortune and others - Wigan looking good.

I shall be taking a keen interest in everything Holt and hope he has a tremendous season. But having said that if our strikers are struggling I won''t use him as a stick to beat them with. Hope Wigan get promoted so that we can see Holty back at Carrow Road.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]I shall be taking a keen interest in everything Holt and hope he has a tremendous season. But having said that if our strikers are struggling I won''t use him as a stick to beat them with. Hope Wigan get promoted so that we can see Holty back at Carrow Road.[/quote]

[Y] 

I hope he scores 25 goals including a hat-trick against the binners at Portman Road. 

I hope he makes us regret selling him. I still think he could have made a large contribution to our squad this season. If we played more attacking football where he got more of the ball and didn''t get frustrated he could have easily grabbed 10-15 goals again.

[quote user="Skerritt"]I hope he makes us regret selling him.[/quote]
Strange thing to say. Why can''t we wish him well but hope that our new strikers give us absolutely no reason at all to regret selling him? 

[quote user="Skerritt"]I hope he makes us regret selling him. I still think he could have made a large contribution to our squad this season. If we played more attacking football where he got more of the ball and didn''t get frustrated he could have easily grabbed 10-15 goals again.[/quote]

Yes, sorry to see him go, however it suited both parties, he is no nearer to his family and could well be a lot happier now being that he can see them every day.

"nutty nigel"I shall be taking a keen interest in everything Holt and hope he has a tremendous season. But having said that if our strikers are struggling I won''t use him as a stick to beat them with.

You know this is going to happen!

I hope he has a great season and we get to see him back in the top flight... Just hope our strikers kick on too and we sign 2 more quality forwards

[quote user="Herman "]"nutty nigel"I shall be taking a keen interest in everything Holt and hope he has a tremendous season. But having said that if our strikers are struggling I won''t use him as a stick to beat them with.

You know this is going to happen![/quote]I''m positively looking forward to the inevitable "Holt scores again if only...." threads from the board mentalists. I think we''ll have a pretty good and solid year ourselves and we all know how a little bit of success on the pitch can stifle the debate on here don''t we, it''ll be good to have something to argue and insult each other about.

I am sure we all wish him the very best. Wigan will have to buck the trend if they are to bounce back at the first time of asking. They had some very good players last season but many of these have left. I would like to see Holt again but not in action against us other than in a cup competition

Some have written on here that he wanted to go so really for the best, I agree but intersting to see different attitude at Liverpool with Suarez even 40M and 1p not enough to let him go.

Sorry but that is right attitude in that they will only let him go if and when have cover for him, not because he wants to leave. Some fans seem to forget that these guys are rich way beyond our dreams , I know it is short lived but unless they are silly enough to set up for life.

Do not get me wrong Holt saved us and deserves great respect for that but just remember we also made him too!

I do think it is sad that like Hucks the fans will really not have chance to say goodbye, would have been nice touch to arrange friendly against Wigan as part of transfer, because for many fans he is and will remain an icon who turned around our fortunes. Still remembe goal against Coventry and him rolling in snow in front of my son and me.

I wish him well like Hucks part of me thinks he has left too soon,but suspect that is just sentimental , which there is less and less room for in the PL .

[quote user="lake district canary"].....scored three goals so far pre-season on their US tour.   I know he''s left, but it''s going to interesting following his career as the season progresses. Along with Fortune and others - Wigan looking good.

[/quote]Is that a surprise ?  He''ll get them back into the Prem and may have kept us up if we do sadly go down. It all rests on RVW and Becchio now as we''ve ''burnt our bridges''.

[quote user="ITK Twitterer"]Burnt our bridges or replacing them with something stronger?

Patience and stop wetting the bed you drama queen[/quote]All maybes when we had a definite. Time will tell.

I bow to no one in my respect and affection for Grant Holt. I have said many times that I think he is the most important player in City''s history and before all the smart alecs start to pick a fight, not the best. There is a difference. No one has led our club with such passion, energy and skill from the bottom of League 1 to established in the Premiership. his influence has far exceeded his role and at times he has dragged the team along in his wake.

But, whilst this entitles him to our eternal gratitude and respect (elements missing so markedly amongst the "Get rid" calls of last season), it does not make him immortal. There is no doubt that the very process he has fought so hard to start and maintain has swept beyond him. Yes he could do a good job for us next season, he would play a part in most matches and would score some valuable goals but he would diminish.

As George Harrison said, "All things must pass" and sooner or later Grant would leave.

However, it is also said that if you love someone you must let them go. It might have suited us to keep him one more year. I think he would have had a reduced but still significant role. He deserves the chance though to do more.  He has earned the chance to go to another club on a good secure contract where he will thrive, be loved, be a leader and not a bit player.    He has earned the opportunity for European football, for a better home life.

Then we hit the problem.  It is argued that we should have signed a replacement first.  In an ideal world that is right.  But, the move for Holt was then and he deserved the move so that he could get on with it.  What earthly use would he be in USA now marking time till his replacement came and he could go?  Not easy being committed when you''re mind is on your move.  How much good will it do Liverpool to have Suarez on tour in Australia when he wants to leave and clubs want to buy him?   Not a good scenario for bonding and planning a new season.

Grant Holt has earned the opportunity for a final place in the sun with a new club and whilst I am sad to see him go, I am not upset because to deny the opportunities he has would have been selfish and niggardly.   I will follow his career and hope that we can discuss it on here in the kindly manner we use when speaking of absent friends.

I also have great respect for and trust in David McNally.  I am sure that there are plans in place and that there are reasonable expectations that those plans will work.  We shall see

[quote user="Vaughans Stiff Upper Lip"]Holt wanted out and he finally got it.

If we sign another striker and he scores 15 goals, and holt gets 16 in the championship there will still be cries we should have kept him.

He did great but we can afford to sign better[/quote]

No, you''ll only get those cries if we go down. Let''s hope that we have signed better in the unknown quantities of RVW and Becchio in attack in the Prem and that they can score the goals to keep us up.  Fingers crossed.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

I bow to no one in my respect and affection for Grant Holt. I have said many times that I think he is the most important player in City''s history and before all the smart alecs start to pick a fight, not the best. There is a difference. No one has led our club with such passion, energy and skill from the bottom of League 1 to established in the Premiership. his influence has far exceeded his role and at times he has dragged the team along in his wake.

But, whilst this entitles him to our eternal gratitude and respect (elements missing so markedly amongst the "Get rid" calls of last season), it does not make him immortal. There is no doubt that the very process he has fought so hard to start and maintain has swept beyond him. Yes he could do a good job for us next season, he would play a part in most matches and would score some valuable goals but he would diminish.

As George Harrison said, "All things must pass" and sooner or later Grant would leave.

However, it is also said that if you love someone you must let them go. It might have suited us to keep him one more year. I think he would have had a reduced but still significant role. He deserves the chance though to do more.  He has earned the chance to go to another club on a good secure contract where he will thrive, be loved, be a leader and not a bit player.    He has earned the opportunity for European football, for a better home life.

Then we hit the problem.  It is argued that we should have signed a replacement first.  In an ideal world that is right.  But, the move for Holt was then and he deserved the move so that he could get on with it.  What earthly use would he be in USA now marking time till his replacement came and he could go?  Not easy being committed when you''re mind is on your move.  How much good will it do Liverpool to have Suarez on tour in Australia when he wants to leave and clubs want to buy him?   Not a good scenario for bonding and planning a new season.

Grant Holt has earned the opportunity for a final place in the sun with a new club and whilst I am sad to see him go, I am not upset because to deny the opportunities he has would have been selfish and niggardly.   I will follow his career and hope that we can discuss it on here in the kindly manner we use when speaking of absent friends.

I also have great respect for and trust in David McNally.  I am sure that there are plans in place and that there are reasonable expectations that those plans will work.  We shall see

[/quote]

Beautifully written and I thoroughly agree with all you say!...

You just know there is a small group of posters on here hoping it goes horribly wrong next season so they can say they told us so.

[quote user="BigFish"]You just know there is a small group of posters on here hoping it goes horribly wrong next season so they can say they told us so.[/quote]

Unfortunately, that is no different to last year. The glee with which the very few disaster groupies met every set back and their absence at the end of the season still leaves a very unpleasant taste in the mouth.

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="lake district canary"].....scored three goals so far pre-season on their US tour.   I know he''s left, but it''s going to interesting following his career as the season progresses. Along with Fortune and others - Wigan looking good.

[/quote]

Is that a surprise ?  He''ll get them back into the Prem and may have kept us up if we do sadly go down. It all rests on RVW and Becchio now as we''ve ''burnt our bridges''.
[/quote]

Behave Paul....there''s another 3 weeks until the season starts and if you think signing the likes of RVW and Fer are ''burning are bridges'' you are getting into the Cody fantasy realms again!

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

[quote user="BigFish"]You just know there is a small group of posters on here hoping it goes horribly wrong next season so they can say they told us so.[/quote]

Unfortunately, that is no different to last year. The glee with which the very few disaster groupies met every set back and their absence at the end of the season still leaves a very unpleasant taste in the mouth.

[/quote]

Sometimes I wonder why they bother - if they are so keen on depression and brow beating why don''t they jog on down to Poorman Road where they have good reason to moan!

Hate to say it, but even with the squad we have currently, it''s all down to Chris hughton as to our success. I think we already (Barring injuries) have a strong enough first tema.

If he doesn''t play to RvW''s abilities however, we''re in for a tough season. He stated after we signed him that he can''t play one up front, it''s not his game.

I think things are shaping up to go that way and depend on attacking threats from midfield. However, having a pacey wide man delivering from the byline - Is that RvW''s game? I honestly don''t know as i''ve not seen enough of him.

I''d be far more at ease if we had Quag and Hooper here. I''m hoping we''ve got some deals practically sewn up that just need mr McN to press the big ''GO'' button.

I think it''s clear that Hughton is at a swanky nightclub, and he''s tried it on with the classy birds in the VIP areas, only to find that his dad hasn''t given him enough money to buy their cocktails... He''s about to hit the passed out drunks and other a jacket to walk them home next! ;)

Of course, i jest. But it''s going to be hard to stomach after having Hooper and Quag on our hit list, if we land neither.

Cause they are hot classy birds! ;)