Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Pre-season!

Before we start with all the negativity - and some have started already - at the results of matches - its pre-season.    Its about fitness and training, giving everyone the opportunity to play and trying things out.  The 2009 pre-season  proved that results are not important!!   Eight emphatic wins and two draws, no losses - and then look what happened.Better to have a worse pre-season if it means the players are prepared for the battles ahead, rather than win every game and get a false sense of security.   

[quote user="lake district canary"]
Better to have a worse pre-season if it means the players are prepared for the battles ahead, rather than win every game and get a false sense of security.   

[/quote]

Very true.

I do wonder what Hughton was "trying out" by having our 3rd choice keeper play 90 minutes though, when number 1 and 2 have only been allowed 45minutes each in other games.

Same every year and also for other ''bigger'' Clubs than us. There are too many factors to list as to why we did not win all our games 4 or 5 nil, the sensible among us know though. Just need to skim over the posts from the pant-wetters and professional moaners for the next few weeks.

[quote user="Vazzza"][quote user="lake district canary"]
Better to have a worse pre-season if it means the players are prepared for the battles ahead, rather than win every game and get a false sense of security.   

[/quote]

Very true.

I do wonder what Hughton was "trying out" by having our 3rd choice keeper play 90 minutes though, when number 1 and 2 have only been allowed 45minutes each in other games.[/quote]

I believe it was a plastic pitch, maybe he never played them as a better chance of injury on those surfaces?

Yes LDC assuming we take lessons. It was painfully obvious last season that we were struggling up front then we loaned out the one player who seemed to be in the best form at that point, and failed to strengthen during the entire season, which set the tone for the type of football we played for significant periods thereafter. This season we''ve already sold Holt, and arguably need three new strikers/attacking midfield players. I hope the critical need for more options up-front is not underestimated once again.

Results are completely irrelevant I agree but having watched both the MLS friendlies I would say we probably should have stayed at home.

Tactically we were absolutely woeful and didn''t actually seem to put any pressure onto either opponent at any point in either game.

Well I guess it can only get better.

Add a 3-1 loss for Spurs to Sunderland to that list. It''s ridiculous that people base our upcoming season on training sessions.

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"]Yokohama F·Marinos 3 - 2 Man UtdHNK Gorica 1 - 0 Manchester CityLuton 2 - Aston Villa 0Aust. Vienna 2 - 1 EvertonRio Ave 3 - 1 Newcastle United We''re in decent company. Most of the Premper League must be s***ting themselves.....
[/quote]Its the same everywhere.   Your  premiership teams go to small opposition for a run out except the small opposition think this is one of the games of their lives and play way, way more competitively.    It what we want, a strong turn out by the opposition, but don''t want to go all out for it for ourselves in an otherwise meaningless friendly.

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]

Results are completely irrelevant I agree but having watched both the MLS friendlies I would say we probably should have stayed at home.

Tactically we were absolutely woeful and didn''t actually seem to put any pressure onto either opponent at any point in either game.

Well I guess it can only get better.

[/quote]Id argue the opposite of the bolded, and for exactly the same reasons you highlighted.Isn''t it better to iron these out in matches against teams who are currently at peak fitness?