Sign in to follow this  
Mr 4-6-0

Chris Hughton has some work to do

The Bookies are usually better judges of these sorts of things...Also usually a good indicator of the quality of a clubs signings

The most generous odds for relegation - 4/1

Oh no not the bookies. I still remember the preseason with gunn before league 1 where we looked great... That worked out, can''t judge a season on these its all about building fitness and getting the team to play together.

I went to our pre-season game at Lincoln a few years ago (think it was prior to our Championship season) and from what I saw I thought we were in for a very tough season.

Of course, it turned out that I''d read too much into what is effectively a training exercise.

It''s in the season proper that results count

As a rule of thumb, I think bookies generally struggle with the odds for the lower leagues.

Bearing in mind they correctly predicted that we would struggle last season, I wouldn''t dismiss their predictions out of hand.

It may only be pre-season, but, the results have shown that despite bringing in 9+ players the fundamental weaknesses that blighted the team last season are still there.

Having said that, most of the bookies don''t seem to be giving Cardiff, Hull,or Palace a hope in hells chance of staying up.

They had also had QPR as top half candidates last year....

And if we struggled last season, so did another 9 teams or so!!!!

Odds verily heavily skewed by Norwich being the only value bet in the last two months of last season IMO. I''ve explained before that with three of the bottom six odds on or almost unbackable, two more at very low odds and NCFC as high as 16/1 ~ 25/1 we became the value bet for casual punters and the insurance bet for the pantwetters leading to significant movement and exposure.Put simply the odds on QPR, Wigan, Reading etc were so poor nobody was putting money on them to be relegated. Norwich were available at 16/1 in March, £5 to win £5:20 (QPR) or £85 (NCFC) which ones the casual punter going to have a flutter on? This will be represented in this years algorithms (as a high risk of exposure) hence the lower odds as the bookies will be wary of offering the kind of odds that attracted all the money on Norwich late last season at this stage ignoring the obvious fact that the book is horribly balanced anyway.Anyone who bet on Norwich to be relegated last year especially between the months of Feb/April has contributed to the short price currently on offer this year. What relevance that has to our real prospects is tenuous at best, I suggest anyone wanting to bet on our relegation this year waits a few months when I predict odds well into double figures will be available.No point looking to the numbers for the answers unless you understand how the numbers were calculated.

Double Dutch wrote the following post at 25/07/2013 8:32 AM:

As a rule of thumb, I think bookies generally struggle with the odds for the lower leagues.

Bearing in mind they correctly predicted that we would struggle last season, I wouldn''t dismiss their predictions out of hand.

It may only be pre-season, but, the results have shown that despite bringing in 9+ players the fundamental weaknesses that blighted the team last season are still there.

Having said that, most of the bookies don''t seem to be giving Cardiff, Hull,or Palace a hope in hells chance of staying up.

Hmmmmm............. he certainly got that game wrong ..... perhaps he should have played some of Ruddy, Turner, Bassong, Garrido, Olsson, Johnson, Fer, Pilkington, Surman, Tettey and try to get at least two more new signings.

I can''t see us winning too many Premiership matches with that team ................... oh, I forgot ................ it was a friendly!

On that logic and given that Spurs lost 3-1 to Sunderland yesterday then surely they are now a good relegation prospect.

Best head to the bookies and get a tenner on Spurs being relegated.

[quote user="InchY van Foxtodger"]On that logic and given that Spurs lost 3-1 to Sunderland yesterday then surely they are now a good relegation prospect.

Best head to the bookies and get a tenner on Spurs being relegated.[/quote]I posted these recent results on another thread. I''m just putting them here as well, just to back up what you''re sating InchY.Yokohama F·Marinos 3 - 2 Man UtdHNK Gorica 1 - 0 Manchester CityLuton 2 - Aston Villa 0Aust. Vienna 2 - 1 EvertonRio Ave 3 - 1 Newcastle United

[quote user="Militant Canary"]To add to The Ghost of Michael Theoklitos, I don''t think Man UTD have won a game this pre-season, so far. Very unusual for them = obvious relegation.[/quote]Not to take away from your point, but I think they won their game in Sydney against the best of the A League. I think they have lost more than once though.

[quote]I''m just impressed with how far this thread has got with no one mentioning the B word about the OP.[/quote]Boomshanka

OP may actually be a binner this time. Got a few basic facts wrong, like saying we''ve signed 9+ players and the teams we''ve played in friendly''s haven''t changed much from last season despite the fact most of our reserves have been playiń with none of our key players