Sign in to follow this  
SYG

So who's staying up/getting up...

Failed to mention Fox, thought he was excellent tonight. Wonder if he might see some more time in the squad next season.

Well having watched that fair to say nothing''s changed - lone striker (Winkle then Becchio), ball played long to striker all the time, no worthwhile shots on goal, constantly giving the ball away - against a mediocre Portland side. I know it was a friendly, and there was player turnaround for NCFC with the likes of Fox and Ayala getting game time, but we are/were definitely lacking in quality up front. I was hopeful that tactically we may improve this season to a more attacking policy - sadly I don''t see that happening, which doesn''t bode well.

[quote user="ReadingCanary"][quote user="The New Boy"][quote user="ReadingCanary"]I''m comparing this mainly to the Earthquakes game where we were shocking.We were much improved tonight.As per usual though we make one idiotic mistake and pay for it[/quote]
Ryan Bennett made two idiotic mistakes and paid for one of them. He was the worst player tonight, by a country mile. 
[/quote]We were making these mistakes when we first got back to the Prem.Honestly thought we would have stopped by now![/quote]
I actually think tonight showed that we really need a centre back. Turner and Bassong are excellent, but Ryan Bennett looks like he has reverted back to the one that we saw when he first signed.
Russell Martin can play there, but Whittaker was the second worst player and can''t stay fit, so Martin has to stay at right back for me. Would feel a lot more comfortable if we invested in a centre back.
Howson had a 15 minute spell of not being able to pass to a teammate too. Shows how much of a fine line there is with confidence players.
Still plenty of positives to take from the game. Fox and Redmond in particular, also Butterfield is looking the sharpest has has been since joining us.

Perhaps it would be better to have said starts rather than appearances as some may pick up a few minutes late in games but R Bennett, E Bennett, one of Martin/Whittaker, possibly Redmond and even Howson and/or Hoolahan could struggle to be regular starters.

Just think of who were not playing ...........

The ones who played tonight may be part of the first team squad but more will not be starters than will be.

I predicted this!

You lot all moan about the lack of goals and lacklustre performance, yet the majority of you were happy to see the back of Holt!

Who was our leading scorer last season?  How many games did we win without Holt last season? A talisman, who had passion and desire.

I could see Calderwood, Hughton et al underestimating the contribution that Holt made.  But so called fans who watched Holt play since 2009 and so many of them being so blasé about Holt being sold for £2m and that he could easily be replaced is short sighted in the extreme!

I suspect McNally wasn''t crying into his cornflakes when Holt left after contract gate and also that the board felt that the club had moved on and no longer needed the unfashionable, outspoken Grant Holt.  That RVW would immediately be the next RVP, that world class players would be easy to sign, we would finish top 8 and win the league cup and thus Holt would not be missed at all.

We have improved, but we haven''t moved on that far, certainly not far enough not to miss the contribution that Grant Holt, today, could offer the club.  Holt, had he been wanted, would have stayed.

You all got your wish, Holt went.  The management underestimated the contribution that Holt made, the board thought that we had moved on to another level and no longer needed Holt and imho were dismissive of what he could offer and most of you lot agreed with both of these things!

Of course, this is pre-season, one can only judge once the season has started.  But, should you be moaning about a lack of passion, desire or effort, from Becchio or Hooper or whoever, bemoaning a lack of goals.  Just remember, what we had, what you wanted and what we have now!

And don''t be surprised if you get a few ''I told you so''s''!!![:@][:@][:@]

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

I predicted this!

You lot all moan about the lack of goals and lacklustre performance, yet the majority of you were happy to see the back of Holt!

Who was our leading scorer last season?  How many games did we win without Holt last season? A talisman, who had passion and desire.

I could see Calderwood, Hughton et al underestimating the contribution that Holt made.  But so called fans who watched Holt play since 2009 and so many of them being so blasé about Holt being sold for £2m and that he could easily be replaced is short sighted in the extreme!

I suspect McNally wasn''t crying into his cornflakes when Holt left after contract gate and also that the board felt that the club had moved on and no longer needed the unfashionable, outspoken Grant Holt.  That RVW would immediately be the next RVP, that world class players would be easy to sign, we would finish top 8 and win the league cup and thus Holt would not be missed at all.

We have improved, but we haven''t moved on that far, certainly not far enough not to miss the contribution that Grant Holt, today, could offer the club.  Holt, had he been wanted, would have stayed.

You all got your wish, Holt went.  The management underestimated the contribution that Holt made, the board thought that we had moved on to another level and no longer needed Holt and imho were dismissive of what he could offer and most of you lot agreed with both of these things!

Of course, this is pre-season, one can only judge once the season has started.  But, should you be moaning about a lack of passion, desire or effort, from Becchio or Hooper or whoever, bemoaning a lack of goals.  Just remember, what we had, what you wanted and what we have now!

[/quote]Not time to panic yet..... a contingency of keeping Holt until January though would have at least given us a lifeline if the worst happens and RVW and Becchio fail to fire. Let''s stay positive .....

My MOTM was Timber Joey, whom I would sign in a heartbeat.

Ayala did look good to me as he did against Earthquakes. wouldn''t mind seeing more of him.

I agree with nbslim. Nobody grabbed us by the scruff and said THIS is how it''s done, and the result was a too often disinterested, and disorganized side with not much sense of flow.

Who''s gonna take that spot, if anybody? Are we good enough to survive without that ingredient? Holts lack of goals last year wasn''t him in decline it was the system. Adjusting it to allow more free flowing offense worked wonders, so hopefully the boss will change to more of that so our offensive players can get offensive.

Let''s get tropical!

I predicted this!

[/quote]
Finished with your conjecture? 
The ''majority'' of us were not happy to see the back of Holt, as evidence by the poll that I started about week before he left which ascertained that a good 80%+ wanted him to stay.
Now your post just looks like self-righteous twaddle, doesn''t it? 

I predicted this!

[/quote]
Finished with your conjecture? 
The ''majority'' of us were not happy to see the back of Holt, as evidence by the poll that I started about week before he left which ascertained that a good 80%+ wanted him to stay.
Now your post just looks like self-righteous twaddle, doesn''t it? 

Also, Grant Holt signaled his intentions well and clearly when he bought a house in Carlisle a year before he left and then spent a year frequently reminding Norwich fans that he puts his family first! 
Nothing wrong with putting family over football, but he wasn''t shy when it came to making it clear he wanted to be up North, never said it directly but bloody hell mate.... he dropped enough bleedin hints didn''t he!!???????

Stayed up and watched it, thought it was much improved on the previous performance. Looked to be lacking sharpness in the final third, (a poor touch/overhit ball would let us down), but thought we kept possession well, and actually should have scored a couple

Better to get the defensive mistakes out the way in pre-season I say...

I really do hope some of the negative rants are on a wind up, but fear they aren''t.

To rake over the Holt thing really is rather disingenuous but I guess it''ll be our lot this season whenever anything isn''t going well.

As to the rest, this is pre-season. We have been playing sides who are mid-season, one going for their title. We are still a work in progress, with 2-3 more guys to come in and 5-6 of the guys starting today will be no more than squad players, it was almost a cup-side that we played tonight: as it was there was no Fer, BJ, Bassong, Turner, Ruddy, Garrido/Olsson.

Why are some people panicking about a friendly?

No Ruddy, Turner, Bassong, Garrido, Olsson, Johnson, Fer, Pilkington, Surman, Tettey and at least two new signings.

Perhaps it needs to be said again .... it was a friendly!

Sounds to me like we did ok. A defensive mistake can happen regardless of whether you are playing well or badly. It was a makeshift, weak defence and we only conceded due to an error against a confident and fully fit side. We''ve been doing mainly fitness work so far, the ball control will come.

Aside from that last night tells us we are dodgy at the back without Bassong and we need to get more support to RVW so he does not get isolated. Nothing we do not already know and points I am sure Hoot is addressing.

Yes it would be nice to get on a little run of wind pre-season and build confidence but we have to recognise we are playing a higher standard of opposition than previous years who are fully fit and up for it.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Sounds to me like we did ok. A defensive mistake can happen regardless of whether you are playing well or badly. It was a makeshift, weak defence and we only conceded due to an error against a confident and fully fit side. We''ve been doing mainly fitness work so far, the ball control will come.

Aside from that last night tells us we are dodgy at the back without Bassong and we need to get more support to RVW so he does not get isolated. Nothing we do not already know and points I am sure Hoot is addressing.

Yes it would be nice to get on a little run of wind pre-season and build confidence but we have to recognise we are playing a higher standard of opposition than previous years who are fully fit and up for it.[/quote]

Or wins even!

Yes it was only a friendly but not a very inspiring one. We created almost nothing and it reminded me of the some of the days we had to suffer last season. Hopefully It can only get better. Redmond only positive for me.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]Why are some people panicking about a friendly?

No Ruddy, Turner, Bassong, Garrido, Olsson, Johnson, Fer, Pilkington, Surman, Tettey and at least two new signings.

Perhaps it needs to be said again .... it was a friendly![/quote]Spot on YW. Too many people make too much of these games. We had a winger at RB, a RB at CB and a RB at LB plus 3rd choice keeper. The defence when we play Everton will look nothing like that.The central midfield consisted of Fox and Howson, both considered "lightweight" by many on here, it will be much stronger with Johnson and Fer in the side.The one player who really caught my eye was Butterfield. In the short time he was on he looked very impressive. We may not be so desperate for a "number 10" after all.