Sign in to follow this  
Excited Canary

Hooper medical NCFC

Not sure where Harry’s confidence came from yesterday?

To say he didn’t expect any hitches regarding Hooper signing for QPR is surely asking for trouble!

Sounds very, very naïve at best.

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]I was more referring to the fact Lennon had got us to bid around the 6/7 mark in Junary so for him us getting him for 5 is a bit of a loss[/quote]

No, you weren''t. You meant the price this summer and whether we had negotiated well as far as that was concerned, because you were talking about the timing of McNally''s pounceThe price last January was irrelevant to that. Hooper was always going to go for less than the £7m we offered then because there was six months less on the contract. Celtic knew they would get less, but they got half a season more out of Hooper when they were still in the Champions League.If we are paying around £5m that is a decent price but no steal. If another Premier League club had stayed in the bidding it probably would have gone up. But as Bethnal says, if anything, under the circumstances , we have paid more than we hoped for because it looked as if QPR would do a deal. Our hand was forced.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]I was more referring to the fact Lennon had got us to bid around the 6/7 mark in Junary so for him us getting him for 5 is a bit of a loss[/quote]

No, you weren''t. You meant the price this summer and whether we had negotiated well as far as that was concerned, because you were talking about the timing of McNally''s pounceThe price last January was irrelevant to that. Hooper was always going to go for less than the £7m we offered then because there was six months less on the contract. Celtic knew they would get less, but they got half a season more out of Hooper when they were still in the Champions League.If we are paying around £5m that is a decent price but no steal. If another Premier League club had stayed in the bidding it probably would have gone up. But as Bethnal says, if anything, under the circumstances , we have paid more than we hoped for because it looked as if QPR would do a deal. Our hand was forced.

[/quote]Uhm I think I wasI think I know more about what I meant than some other bloke on the forum

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]Not sure where Harry’s confidence came from yesterday?

To say he didn’t expect any hitches regarding Hooper signing for QPR is surely asking for trouble!

Sounds very, very naïve at best.[/quote]He''s ready to do the"I am having to reconsider my position" speech due to not being able to attract the players I wantHe will then hand over to Steve Mcclaren who has recently joined the club

Having watched part of match last night boy do we need someone to give RVW competition . He looked really off the pace and not. Even able to pass the ball.

Hooper will make RVW realise he needs to sharpen up his act. All signings are a risk but Hooper knows British football and I feel will hit the ground running, and hopefully sharpen up our attack which looked ver blunt.

Midfield and wing play was great , defence needs to sharpen up too, but that will come with time and settling into a fixed back four.

Just need one more signing to give Hools competition in attacking creative midfield role

[quote user="Grant Holts 3 year contract"]Our hand was forced even more because we are/were desperate for another striker.
[/quote]

Desperation comes a week before the window closes, not a month.

If Norwich had wanted to spend £5m on Hooper they would have made the bid before the USA tour - they wanted to spend less so were trying to wait things out a little. Whilst £5m for Hooper might be seen as a fair price, there is no denying that without QPR''s bid, Norwich could have signed him for about half the price in a few weeks.

No matter how much money Norwich now have from Sky, they won''t be happy spending an extra couple of million on a player, especially one who will probably be on the bench more often than not.

Surely this saga cant be over?

I''m sure Celtic can get another month of wrangling out of it. They''re simply not trying.

I''m very pleased to get Hooper in for that price. It sounds like a lot considering 20 years ago it would have been a record fee, but times have changed and the Prem is now a swollen cash cow, fat with pound coins.

5mill now is not the same as 5mill 3 or 4 years ago, and when you look at Jay Rodriguez and Rhodes, this is a decent price. Not daylight robbery like Redmond or Fer, but decent nonetheless.

I am VERY excited about the season now. Hooper gives us something we sorely lacked last year, a CLINICAL edge. You give the lad half a chance and he will score a goal. That''s what he does. He brings more to the table than that but essentially that is his key function.

We needed firepower and we have added a young striker who has scored goals for fun wherever he has been, and has performed on the big stage. Everyone is slating the SPL but the reality is he can only score past what''s put in front of him and with 82 in 138 games, that''s exactly what he has done.

The talk was always that he was desperate to come to us over anyone else and that helps to endear him to me instantly. I want players who will play with passion and fight for our team.

We''ve sorely lacked depth to the squad since promotion and now we are really signing some quality. Gary Hooper or Simeon Jackson on your bench? No offence to Jacko but it''s a no-brainer.

I''m thinking we could be a real force next season. If we can bolt on a decent Centre Back and real quality in the number 10 spot (Quag for me if we can get it done) then we could be challenging for the cups and looking to finish at least in the 8-10th range.

The future is very bright for us right now.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="Grant Holts 3 year contract"]Our hand was forced even more because we are/were desperate for another striker.
[/quote]

Desperation comes a week before the window closes, not a month.

If Norwich had wanted to spend £5m on Hooper they would have made the bid before the USA tour - they wanted to spend less so were trying to wait things out a little. Whilst £5m for Hooper might be seen as a fair price, there is no denying that without QPR''s bid, Norwich could have signed him for about half the price in a few weeks.

No matter how much money Norwich now have from Sky, they won''t be happy spending an extra couple of million on a player, especially one who will probably be on the bench more often than not.

[/quote]

Not how I see it. Looks to me like McNally was not prepared to get drawn into an auction or dance to Celtic''s tune. Instead he made a fair and ''final'' offer, hoping to get it sorted nice and early but then walked away, knowing that he could revive things if he felt there was a good deal to be had. Really sensible and we''ve got our man for £2m-£3m less than we were prepared to pay a few months ago.

[quote user="CJ"]Having watched part of match last night boy do we need someone to give RVW competition . He looked really off the pace and not. Even able to pass the ball.

Hooper will make RVW realise he needs to sharpen up his act. All signings are a risk but Hooper knows British football and I feel will hit the ground running, and hopefully sharpen up our attack which looked ver blunt.

Midfield and wing play was great , defence needs to sharpen up too, but that will come with time and settling into a fixed back four.

Just need one more signing to give Hools competition in attacking creative midfield role[/quote]Having watched ALL the match,I wasn''t expecting players to have their fitness levels up yet,nor bust a gut in that heat only to get a strain and miss the rest of the pre season WARM UP matches,or worse and get a hamstring and miss the first few matches if the season! ...

Judging time should not happen until all players know each other,and the required fitness levels have been attained...

SO HAPPPPPYYYY WE HAVE HOOOOOOPPPERR :)

hopefully all will go well.

Will be good to see Hooper and the Wolf as the main strikers, Becchio and A N Othjer (be it a loan, or a youth player) on the bench as the 4th option.

we seem to have covered all bases with the strikers, a Poacher with Hooper, a more complete forward in the Wolf, Becchio will do the "Holt" role. and 1 more we can chuck in the fray if needed to bag a late winner or score a late equaliser, lower risk. no fee.

Hooper not particularly young at 25, signing 4 year contract will take him tom 29 which is an age where striker is starting to be considered old. We''ll be getting his best years and as he cost £2.5 m two years ago his fee has not gone astronomic. I believe this to be very good signing provided wage demands not excessive.

I think there''s at least one more exciting deal in the pipeline. Paying £5m for Hooper doesn''t equate with the reported £8.5m+ we''ve reportedly been touting for the European options. Unbelievably exciting times, even if I do still feel sick about Holt (sorry).

Hey not regualar poster on here but a regular viewer

But I would like to make the point in response to anybody thinking we should be paying less for Hooper, that if the reports were correct that we were willing to pay 7.1Million last January and we have now agreed 5 million then it does not take a mathmatacian to work out that we would have saved 2.1 million for other potential signings. Celtic are maybe wishing they had bitten our hand off last January. We did not give in to the 8 million that was reported they wanted at the time which was seen as a bit gamble for us not to improve our strike force but we took our chances and survived relegation  and it seems to have paid off. [:D] Also what would of people on here said if we had payed 8 million for Hooper in Jan ?

Kingston Yellow wrote - "I think there''s at least one more exciting deal in the pipeline. Paying £5m for Hooper doesn''t equate with the reported £8.5m+ we''ve reportedly been touting for the European options. Unbelievably exciting times, even if I do still feel sick about Holt (sorry). "

Of course there is. The completion of the Hooper deal would signal to me that our quality SS/AM is more or less in the bag as well.

Can you explain the logic of Hooper deal meaning SS/AM is almost complete please Jg? I''m not having a pop, I just feel like I''m missing something as I can''t put that logic together?

[quote user="kick it off"]Can you explain the logic of Hooper deal meaning SS/AM is almost complete please Jg? I''m not having a pop, I just feel like I''m missing something as I can''t put that logic together?[/quote]

I can''t speak for Joanna Grey, of course, and I wouldn''t be certain that she is right about the next deal being in the bag, but in general I agree with her.. Hooper, if it goes through, fills one of the two striking places now and at a reasonable - not cheap, not dear - price. We can now concentrate our time and money on the one obvious gap left - another attacker, whether an attacking midfelder, out and out striker or utility player. Keeping Becchio, getting £2m for Holt and only paying around £5m for Hooper suggests we have some serious money left in that area.

Guy that told me Hooper was signing after we left America also told me Quag improved offer nearer to Juventus'' evaluation.Also told me Quag is finally coming round to the idea of signing for a team outside of Italy.There was talk about Roma making a move for him but i''ve been told this is rubbish.No one seems entirely certain that Quag can cut it in the Prem though.

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]Guy that told me Hooper was signing after we left America also told me Quag improved offer nearer to Juventus'' evaluation.Also told me Quag is finally coming round to the idea of signing for a team outside of Italy.There was talk about Roma making a move for him but i''ve been told this is rubbish.No one seems entirely certain that Quag can cut it in the Prem though.[/quote]

LOL

The thing that annoys me most about this Hooper saga is we could have had him signed up weeks ago, in time to start bedding in and getting to know his team mates in America. Instead we have gone back and forth about 100 times to save about £500K-1m. if the reports are true on the figure. Was it really worth it? Surely getting to know his team mates and starting to play with them on a US tour is worth more than the money we saved...

[quote user="Vazzza"]The thing that annoys me most about this Hooper saga is we could have had him signed up weeks ago, in time to start bedding in and getting to know his team mates in America. Instead we have gone back and forth about 100 times to save about £500K-1m. if the reports are true on the figure. Was it really worth it? Surely getting to know his team mates and starting to play with them on a US tour is worth more than the money we saved...[/quote]Would have prompted a bidding war between us and QPR though.We waited for QPR and Celtic to play their hands.Discovered the minimum price Celtic would sell for then made our move

I think we have been very sensible in our pursuit of Hooper (and others TBH). Haven''t over stretched ourselves, or been pressured into paying over the odds.

I think QPR have actually helped us get him, by setting a price we can match and then leaving it to Hooper to decide where to go - and we were always going to be a better option.

KIO wrote - "Can you explain the logic of Hooper deal meaning SS/AM is almost complete please Jg? I''m not having a pop, I just feel like I''m missing something as I can''t put that logic together? "

I think CH has worked out several different permutations as to which of his targets will work with other possible targets and existing players. QPR''s movements may seem like it has forced our hand but I''m sure that CH is now confident of getting the SS/AM who will work best with RvW or Hooper. I just feel that this particular ''plan'' is coming together.

Oh my gosh! I never new Hooper was a real life Bobble Head!!!

Another factor - especially ones for those people going on about getting a player in earlier - wages.

Wages are now quite a part of the way the league runs with the FFP rules coming into force soon.

If you sign a player in August you have saved yourself a months wages. In the Championship or League 1 this may well have not been an issue as it could have been as little as a few thousand pounds.

But when you are trying to sign a player on £30-£40k and a number of players it could be quite costly.

I think people also forget that we are only around half way through the window.

I suspect that a lot of the big movers this summer will come in August. The players on £100k+ are not going to move for the simple fact that their wages can equate to half a million for one month - or if true, and like Rooney''s rumoured £250k p/w more like £1million a month.

Just seen hooper YouTube video ''lethal poacher'' and really looking forward o seeing him in action. He seems to have real ability to latch onto long range pass take it down with first touch and pull the trigger. In the PL it is about taking 1 or 2 touches and finishing and can see this guy fitting perfectly, coupled with his work ethic. Wonder if he will b spotted in yellows !

[quote user="Vazzza"]The thing that annoys me most about this Hooper saga is we could have had him signed up weeks ago, in time to start bedding in and getting to know his team mates in America. Instead we have gone back and forth about 100 times to save about £500K-1m. if the reports are true on the figure. Was it really worth it? Surely getting to know his team mates and starting to play with them on a US tour is worth more than the money we saved...[/quote]

1)     Is it worth saving £500K/£1M? - undoubtedly, yes

2)     Does it send out a message that we know what we are doing and will not be a soft touch? - undoubtedly, yes.

There are more than three weeks before the season starts. Should be sufficient time for the necessary integration and familiarisation.

[quote user="Vazzza"]The thing that annoys me most about this Hooper saga is we could have had him signed up weeks ago, in time to start bedding in and getting to know his team mates in America. Instead we have gone back and forth about 100 times to save about £500K-1m. if the reports are true on the figure. Was it really worth it? Surely getting to know his team mates and starting to play with them on a US tour is worth more than the money we saved...[/quote]The amount of people on this board that no longer believe that £500K-1m is no longer a lot of money for NCFC is ridiculous, and it''s really starting to wind me up.The football club still needs to be run to a budget, the same way it has the last 2 years. Just because the numbers coming in and going out are larger, does not mean we should be just paying what people ask for players without negotiating the best deal.