Sign in to follow this  
Excited Canary

Hooper medical NCFC

Quite a Marmite reaction to the "signing" on here with some delighted (like me) and others disappointed and usually playing the "SPL is rubbish" card.

Having read a few recent comments I feel that there exists a few misconceptions about the abilities of the player. From what I have read on the Celtic forum Hooper offers more than just goals (no less!) and his work-rate and the quality of his"link-up" play have often been mentioned. In sum, he is probably a better all-rounder than, say, a Jordon Rhodes and hopefully he can fill some of the Grant Holt role in this respect.

I have dug up this cutting in which auld Bertie Auld, a fervent Celtic fan if ever there was one, gives good insight into Gary Hooper''s general qualities:-

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/bertie-auld-urges-gary-hooper-to-stay-at-celtic-1-2950136

I, for one, will very pleased if this comes off. 

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]If we are getting Hooper then we need to make a very good decision on the other striker we buy. Becchio is the fourth option, the target-man back up for when you need such a player, and I gather Hooper and RVW are not dissimilar as players. As Bethnal has said, Hooper looks like back-up for RVW. So the other striker needs to offer something different and be a potential starter. Hence, possibly, us not giving up on Quagliarella.[/quote]

Agreed I think its unlikely we will play Hooper and RVW together unless we go 4-4-2

So as I have said elsewhere we desperately need  a number 10 with goals to play behind one or the other.

Never want to see your better players go, but I wish Hooper all the best at Norwich. He''s going to a good team and I think he will do really well.Nearly spat my yoghurt out at the very sight of him being compared to Kris Boyd haha. 

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]If we are getting Hooper then we need to make a very good decision on the other striker we buy. Becchio is the fourth option, the target-man back up for when you need such a player, and I gather Hooper and RVW are not dissimilar as players. As Bethnal has said, Hooper looks like back-up for RVW. So the other striker needs to offer something different and be a potential starter. Hence, possibly, us not giving up on Quagliarella.[/quote]

Agreed I think its unlikely we will play Hooper and RVW together unless we go 4-4-2

So as I have said elsewhere we desperately need  a number 10 with goals to play behind one or the other.

[/quote]

Yes. The position with Toivonen is as clear as mud but although a different player to Quagliarella he would also offer us something different.

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]

[/quote]

I''m guessing no one else sees this man being Howson then? I really have high hopes for him this season. I just hope he can start the season as he left off and then I can easily see him getting 10 goals. I also think we will see more goals/assists from Hoolahan this season if he gets many minutes

What this deal will provide is the F word - flexibility! We do not want to be a one trick pony again, so this will give us options to play different formations. Surely that makes it a very sensible deal?

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="KeelansGlove"]

[/quote]

Yes. The position with Toivonen is as clear as mud but although a different player to Quagliarella he would also offer us something different.

[/quote]

I still find it incredible that Norwich were/are after Toivonen and Quagliarella, both play a similar position but both are about as far apart for players in that position as you can get.

Either way it shows Hughton is more after a striker who drops deep, rather than a midfielder who pushes up. Which makes a lot of sense after the lack of goals last season.

[quote user="Paul_CFC"]Never want to see your better players go, but I wish Hooper all the best at Norwich. He''s going to a good team and I think he will do really well.Nearly spat my yoghurt out at the very sight of him being compared to Kris Boyd haha.  [/quote]

Unfortunatley that is the horizon of some of our fans Paul, they base the player on leagues etc. instead of seeing them actually play.

[quote user="barclayboys"]Thanks Paul, do you think he can step up and be a success in the prem?[/quote]No doubt. Did not look out of place against Europe''s best in the Champions League so don''t see him having any problems in the EPL. (And to be honest, I don''t think the EPL is quite as high a standard as some would have you believe).

"I''ve heard rumours that Hooper is to sign when we return from America."

Joanna Grey. Feel free to apologies to me for being right whenever you get the chance.Much love.

I still find it incredible that Norwich were/are after Toivonen and Quagliarella, both play a similar position but both are about as far apart for players in that position as you can get.

Either way it shows Hughton is more after a striker who drops deep, rather than a midfielder who pushes up. Which makes a lot of sense after the lack of goals last season.

Spot on. Hopefully we can find that final piece of the jigsaw and get the formation clear before the season starts.

If you are right, which I do suspect at least as a formation option anyway, it suggests one of our formations will be 4-4-1-1.

I know some people have been saying 4-2-3-1, but the reality is that I don''t think Hughton will want to push the wingers up that far - at least not every game.

However those two formations are not far apart in terms of differences and could easily be a sort of merge of the two of the ability to switch between them even mid game.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="KeelansGlove"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Agreed, Bethnal. Unusually for me I have seen Toivonen and Quagliarella play, and they are chalk and cheese. But either could play with either RVW or Hooper, whereas Hooper and RVW seems too similar. And Toivonen does has the added advantage of being able to perform as an out and out striker.  

Sky Sports News"QPR boss Harry Redknapp does not expect to face any late hitches after agreeing a deal to sign Celtic''s Gary Hooper."10 minutes later"Sky sources: Norwich agree fee with Celtic for Gary Hooper and striker will have medical today."

Pretty much this ^

I still think we''ll bring in yet another striker before the end of the window anyway.

So far we only really have RVW, Becchio and if we sign him, Hooper.

I love how McNally waited for a bid to be accepted from QPRKnew exactly where he stood and swooped in for the killer blowWould love to see the look on Neil Lennon and Harry Redknapp''s faces.

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]I love how McNally waited for a bid to be accepted from QPR

Knew exactly where he stood and swooped in for the killer blow

Would love to see the look on Neil Lennon and Harry Redknapp''s faces.
[/quote]

Think Neil Lennon is pretty chuffed to be getting £5m for a player who will be worth £2.5m - Â£3m in about a months time. Norwich''s hand has been forced on this, think they would have much preferred to wait a little while before signing Hooper yet. 

I was more referring to the fact Lennon had got us to bid around the 6/7 mark in Junary so for him us getting him for 5 is a bit of a loss

If his goals keep us up for another year, then it will be 5 million well spent as far as I can see it!

playing along with Hoots ......Feel this was a done deal,and Arry helped his former mate( called Hoots that on MOTD when out of a job in oct last year)

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPPPPPPPPPPYYYYYYYYY....:) :) :)

Don''t get this overrated nonsense, he was 3rd top scorer in the Championship for a god awful Scunthorpe side, ahead of the likes of Carroll at the Toon, as well as scoring in the biggest club competition in the world on numerous occasions

Just because he''s played in Scotland for a few years don''t make him automatically awful.

Hopefully he''ll continue to score goals here!

I think Hooper has got to be worth a gamble. If it was a straight fight between us and QPR there''s little doubt he would have chosen us unless he was being offered really stupid money to go to Loftus Rd.Good luck at Carrow RdThis '' will he/won''t he? '' transfer must be almost as classic as the CMS saga but probably not in the same league as the the speculation over Dean Windass back in the day. If the internet had been around then it would have gone into meltdown. [:D]

Agree worth the gamble especially when we are reading 10m for N''Doye playing in Russia. Love how we got one over Arry.

Just wish I had a tenner on the transfer when we went out to 5/1!

[quote user="Olly"]Don''t get this overrated nonsense, he was 3rd top scorer in the Championship for a god awful Scunthorpe side, ahead of the likes of Carroll at the Toon, as well as scoring in the biggest club competition in the world on numerous occasions

Just because he''s played in Scotland for a few years don''t make him automatically awful.

Hopefully he''ll continue to score goals here![/quote]This. This. THIS.

RvW has never played in England full stop yet people arent writing him off! Although neither am I in fairness.... [:P]

I think Hooper will be a smashing addition to the team.

We have enough strikers now for a 4-2-3-1 but when are we going to get another midfielder? Look at the quality gap between our strikers and our attackers midfielders.